Okay
94 (27%)
Good
65 (18.7%)
Great
37 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author
What did you think of AvP? (Read 88,435 times)

CanadianHero67

CanadianHero67

I hope AVP-R will be better than the first... a lot better. :)

Kriszilla

Kriszilla

I rate it 4/10.

I mean, the film could have been pretty good, but a few elements brought it down:

The whole "buddy movie" feel you get when Scar and Lex are running around killing aliens.

Predators who seem to have a problem with closing their mouths. The actual face design didn't bother me much, just that they looked stupid with constantly open mounths.

Alien design. They were just crappy A:R aliens painted black, sure, the effects on them were cool, but I wish they'd chosen a better design.

The whole markings thing. It pulled the predators away from what makes them predators, the endless quest for trophies. It was as though the film entirely forgot about the basis of predator culture revolving around collecting skulls.

Plus it was way too short, and the preds didn't live long enough, plus not enough fight scenes.

The Demon

The Demon

Yes when the Predators encountered an Alien, it was as though the Predator was just a human and the Alien was the menacing Predator. If you understand what I mean.

When I first saw the movie, believe it or not, liked the alliance of Scar and Lex. I felt that he was on the "good side" and was going to make it. Then I realized how much crap it was.

This movie just doesn't have it. It wasn't the kind of bad that it was corny, cheesy or something. Its decent in that matter but when it comes to our (Alien/Predator fans) view, it was just bad.

LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

i was extremly dissapointed plain and simple

the anticipation and hype surrounding this film was a huge let down

to give ASSnderSON full creative control on this project was a major mistake on the part of the studio(FOX) and the producers(DAVIS, GILER etc.)

ASSnderSON failed - horribly - to capture what made the ALIEN and PREDATOR so loved on the screen

both the creatures lost their true original identity in this film

none of them were intimidating or menacing at all

the ALIENS came off as campy little mindless insects and the PREDATORS far more worse
family friendly "teenage mutant ninja turtles on steriods" - straight up posers

as for the story itself it was unoriginal in all aspects - can we say rip off

- ASSnderSON got(stole) the ANTARCTICA theme from JON CARP's THE THING

- got the "humans worshiping aliens from outer space theme frome the INCAS and AZTECS

- got the pyramids theme from STARGATE and INDY INDIANA JONES and the TEMPLE OF DOOM - just to name a few

f--king pyramids? are you kidding me - man please

it's kinda funny to me sense none of this sh-t was ever mentioned in here

DH 4 issue series plus the earlier DHP issue

after all it came before anything else and is the original that started and launched
the entire franchise - you would think one would at least use it as a story line for the film?

yeah ASSnderSON may have thought he could pull the wool over FOX and the masses but he couldn't fool me with this sh-t

WisePredator

WisePredator

Quote from: LAWNMOWERMAN on Oct 14, 2007, 07:19:09 PM

- got the "humans worshiping aliens from outer space theme frome the INCAS and AZTECS

- got the pyramids theme from STARGATE and INDY INDIANA JONES and the TEMPLE OF DOOM - just to name a few
Those were all homages to movies, and the whole Incas/Aztecs worshipping aliens were based on theories made by scientists... ::)

The Demon

The Demon

i was extremly dissapointed plain and simple

the anticipation and hype surrounding this film was a huge let down

to give ASSnderSON full creative control on this project was a major mistake on the part of the studio(FOX) and the producers(DAVIS, GILER etc.)

ASSnderSON failed - horribly - to capture what made the ALIEN and PREDATOR so loved on the screen

both the creatures lost their true original identity in this film

none of them were intimidating or menacing at all

the ALIENS came off as campy little mindless insects and the PREDATORS far more worse
family friendly "teenage mutant ninja turtles on steriods" - straight up posers

f--king pyramids? are you kidding me - man please

it's kinda funny to me sense none of this sh-t was ever mentioned in here
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/the_LAWNMOWERMAN/AVP2-1.jpg
DH 4 issue series plus the earlier DHP issue

after all it came before anything else and is the original that started and launched
the entire franchise - you would think one would at least use it as a story line for the film?

yeah ASSnderSON may have thought he could pull the wool over FOX and the masses but he couldn't fool me with this sh-t

Great points. You really nailed it on a few things!

But about the John Carpenter's THE THING, I think EC comic's Come The Dawn, also adapted from the Tales From The Crypt TV show and the upcoming movie 30 Days of Night take that idea a bit more only its Alaska. Just some of the elements.

LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

thank you MR. WOLF - yeah i'll have to check that out

Quote from: WisePredator on Oct 14, 2007, 07:40:21 PM

Those were all homages to movies and the whole Incas/Aztecs worshipping aliens were based on theories made by scientists... ::)

WISE PREDATOR i respect your opinion on the matter

but you missed the entire point of my post

S4MSUNG

S4MSUNG

Quote from: LAWNMOWERMAN on Oct 14, 2007, 08:41:24 PM
thank you MR. WOLF - yeah i'll have to check that out

Quote from: WisePredator on Oct 14, 2007, 07:40:21 PM

Those were all homages to movies and the whole Incas/Aztecs worshipping aliens were based on theories made by scientists... ::)

WISE PREDATOR i respect your opinion on the matter

but you missed the entire point of my post

that he really really hated it  ;D

Russian_Predator

Russian_Predator

Unfavourable film. It is a lot of discrepancies with original films. For example, concerning Predators:

Predators prefer tropics, instead of a polar climate;

the manual board was the activator of not clear explosion in the first film, instead of a bomb;

original Predators have given a terrestrial pistol, instead of an own spear for which would be undermined;

design of Predator another any;

absolute nonsense is absence of quarantine, whether to bring a corpse without check there is nonsense?

presence Aliens on the Earth is deprived sense - in fact on the Earth on people conduct hunting?

ridiculously a certain variant of the most ancient civilization in history of mankind looks;

murder of two Predators by the same Alien looks unpersuasively, the duel of second of them with Alien is ridiculous;

shuriken concedes to a smart disc, in my modest opinion.

Aliens any too quickly growing.

The mask of the Predator in the second film holds automatic turn, and here does not cope with an acid of Alien.

Predalien something reminds the Newborn from the fourth film about Aliens.

Here that at once has remembered. )))

Wolf Sazen

Wolf Sazen

I liked AVP, but there were some things lacking in my opinion.  First off, with these two glorious creatures stalking about, I want an R rating, or no rating at all dammit!  Anderson should have fleshed out the initial hunt, when the Predator's were stalking and killing the mercenaries, and drill-team on the surface.  You don't even get to see them take out half of the men, you just see them later hanging upside down, when Quinn backs into them.  Plus, they had no visual wounds or blood on them, and they were still wearing their skin!  Wrong direction Paul.  Next, why did we not get at least a couple of headbites?  What the hell were you thinking Paul?  There was not one scene in the whole movie of an Alien killing a human outright.  Granted, I know the alien's needed host's but with the amount of potential victim's at the beginning of the movie, he could of gave us a few brutal alien on human kills.  Also, he could have really got maniacally graphic with Rouseau's chestburster scene.  Instead, he should have had all the host's in the sacrificial chamber convulse, and spawn alien young at the same time.  That would have been awesome!

xenopal

xenopal

I thought the movie was great.  I loved the concept, loved the effects, loved the locale, etc.  I just wish they could have done more.  I can't wait to see AVP-R!

Mr. Weyland

Mr. Weyland

It could have been a lot better, I don't think Anderson knew how special and important that this film was going to be.
If you was given the chance to write and/or direct the 1st AVP film, you would do your best to make it special and to make it the best sci-fi film possible, but I don't think Anderson saw it the way we do, I think, to him it was just another average movie.

As far as I am concerned, he was given a great gift and a chance, a chance to be remembered as a great director who directed the 1st AVP movie and would go down in Alien and Predator history, along side Ridley Scott, James Cameron, John McTiernan and David Fincher. But instead he made an average, uninspired comic book style action movie. There are probably 100s of people out there who would kill to be given the chance to have made the 1st AVP film, I am one of them, instead it went to Anderson, I just don't think he knew what he was given, a chance to do something great and historical in movie history, instead he went down as the man who nearly destroyed the alien and predator franchise and almost the AVP community.

And that's my 2 cents  ;D   

Gizmoh

Gizmoh

Well, i think it's fair to say it was fairly dissapointing.  :-\

However, to be fair, the more i have watched it, the more i realise that at least some homework had been done to esnure some sort of background continuity and detail was kept, which was a relief.

I think in the grander scale, when I heard about the movie i thought (like most people most likely!) OMG THATS GONNA BE AWESOME!

And it simply wasn't. It wasn't a total write-off either, but the simple reality that it didn't live upto enthusiast's hopes and dreams meant it just could never be great.

My BIGGEST gripe was that two of three Predators die so early into the conflict, with the third condemned to death soon after (having been face-hugged). I mean, why in heavan's name would kill off in effect, one-half of the movie's stars so early? I didnt pay money to watch Aliens kill humans - they do that in all of the predeccessosr movies. I wanted to see some serious Predator on Alien combat!  :o

Ho-hum, heres looking forward to Requiem!  ;D

fraudinthe80s

fraudinthe80s

The first time i saw it was when it came out on dvd, i thought it was okay. I saw it again this year after buying it for $5 dollars in fye, but it wasn't until i watched it monday that i wanted to gouge my eyes out. Anderson cannot write movie scripts. :-\

The only major gripes i have about this movie is the team-up with lex and scar. It just shouldn't be done in my opinion. I was waiting for them to run off into the sunset hand in hand and live happily ever after. :P

Then the fact that the predators look like they need to be suiting up for a football game, i know they're young but my gosh the preds in the first two films  didn't need armor why do they?

Dr. Wren

Dr. Wren

In my opinion it's not perfect, but it is a good movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed