No, never ever
Sometimes, here and there
Author
Comic Book Readers (Read 915,340 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: First Blood on Sep 27, 2014, 09:37:05 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 27, 2014, 06:13:15 AM

Great comic, and a definite improvement over the first volume. Ennis somehow managed to cross the Punisher with his personal manifesto on why the IRA sucks, and make it work. It helps that the characters are all so... colorful.

Great arc.

Shower o' c**ts. :laugh:

Magegg

Magegg

Another recent read.

NEW X-MEN – ACADEMY X (46 ISSUES)

I've always been somewhat intimidated by the X-Men series, specially because of the immense cast of characters, continuity-heavy and the fact that is practically a universe on itself, within the Marvel Universe.

I decided to give a shot to this series, who was intended for new readers. New X-Men – Academy X introduce us to completely new characters, new students of the Xavier Academy.

So, we know these characters, their training, adventures and that. It's basically a "back to roots" only with new characters. The new generation is divided on different squads, each one with a tutor. They are trained and there are competitions between each squad.

The most important are:

THE NEW MUTANTS (Tutored by Dani Moonstar)

David Alleyne (Prodigy). His power is temporary absorbing people's knowledge around him, he's the brains and the leader of the group.
Noriko Ashida (Surge). A foul-mouthed, assertive Japanese girl. She can absorb and discharge electricity through her gloves.
Josh Foley (Elixir). Golden skin. The irresponsible teenager, I'd say. His power is healing.
Jay Guthrie (Icarus). The apacible, mature, noble guy, wings on his back. Likable character. 
Laurie Collins (Wallflower). Kind of insecure girl. Controls people's emotions with pheromones.
Sofia Mantega (Wind Dancer). Not much of a personality; she's a Latina, uh. She can create wind and use it to manipulate sound.

THE HELLIONS (Tutored by Emma Frost)

Julian Keller (Hellion). The Draco Malfoy of this comic, the cocky arrogant guy, power's high telekinesis.
Santo Vacarro (Rockslide). The usual big guy/henchman. Mostly the black/guido stereotype, but this guy's made of stone and can shoot and reassemble his limbs.
Cessily Kincaid (Mercury). Curiously, the "happy" enthusiastic and sensitive girl, she's made of metal and she can turn into liquid.
Brian Cruz (Tag). Rastafari-like guy, usually a good boy, his power makes another person to attract or repel psychically other people around them.
Sooraya Qadir (Dust). Burqa-wearing Afghan girl, her power's turning into sand. Not much to say, she doesn't do that much in the comic.
Kevin Ford (Wither). The "Rogue-type" character, he disintegrates any organic matter he touches. He usually has unwilling vile feelings.

Cyclops is also present as the co-principal, along with Frost. There are appearances of some other X-Men alumni, mainly as teachers (Wolverine, Beast, Rahne Sinclair/Wolfsbane, Northstar, etc).

The first writers of the series, Nunzio De Filipis and Christina Weir, are not bad, but their writing is very inoffensive, I guess aimed to junior high students or something. It contains little violence and some elements of cheesy teen romance, the best we could say it's that is family-friendly.
The adventures are usually not much thrilling, it involves competitions between the mutants squad, romance, rivalries, misunderstandings, clashing personalities... The usual school stuff (who doesn't like it?). Also, occasionally breaking out a captured member, and even the story of a ghost haunting the Academy (weird).

The subplots involving mainly some New Mutants veterans (mainly Moonstar, who is the tutor from the New Mutants, dean of the Academy, and Wolfsbane, now a teacher, and in a forbidden relationship with Josh/Elixir, as well as some shady counselor from the CIA that ultimately does nothing at all) are just not interesting enough.
This is more or less the tone of the book, until the "graduation" issue, which happens around #15.
Ah, by the way there are several issues, like the House of M tie-ins, that deal with "possible futures" and such. Can't give a damn about them (:

But then it comes the arc "Childhood's End", from the Decimation status quo, new writers are Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost. The "Academy X" subtitle is dropped here onwards, so the title is now simply "New X-Men".
This part the series takes a violent when some of the student lose their powers (via the "No more mutants" spell from Scarlet Witch), and the ones that keep them are usually the ones with the most torturing ability (like having an ugly appearance and that). So, we say goodbye to many members of the cast, as they move to regular "human" colleges.
After the Decimation, reverend William Stryker begins a crusade against the remaining mutants, and holy crap, now there are some massive deaths in the academy, some of
them tragic and breathtaking. This is the part where the story gets thrilling, IMO.

Also, other characters like Pixie (a Pixie-looking girl) and Anole (a chameleon-like boy that reminds us of both Toad, and Beast Boy from Teen Titans) join the team. X-23 (Yost's creation) joins too, and becomes important in the latter story arcs (she's a nice character).

So, the whole "first half" of the series is not so great; I read, by way, the "Hellions" spin-off (4 issues, miniseries) that helps you to get more familiar with that squadron; it was OK, and you learn just a little bit more of their personalities, but it doesn't make you LOVE them. I would say the same for all the first half, the characters are more like regular teenagers, simply nothing as fascinating as the main X-Men characters were (you know, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Beast...) and while I liked the characters, the first half didn't make me LOVE any of them.

I would say you can skip the first part and start reading directly with the Childhood's End storyline (#20 onwards) and you're going to have a very good time, and maybe you'll even feel tempted to read the previous ones.

By the way, I really love Skottie Young's art in the latest issues :)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

It's Frank in Russia, killing a shit load of Russians. And bonding with a little girl. Awwwwwwwww. Oh, and Mongolian "super hobbit" shows up. :laugh: Nick Fury is really damn awesome in this one, too. "I'm gonna go f**k all of the whores in new York, before some cocksucker tries to ban that too."

Magegg

Magegg

Yesterday I read...

YOUNG X-MEN (#1-5)

This is technically a follow-up to New X-Men – Academy X, featuring Cyclops  Recruiting some ex-students from the Xavier Institute, to be part of a new squad.
The characters are:
-   Dust (can turn into harmful flying sand)
-   Rockslide (body made of rocks, like the Thing but a little bigger)
-   Wolf Cub (perpetual werewolf form)
-   Blindfold (can see the future)
-   Ink (has tattoos that grant him different powers)
The enemies this time are a new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, composed of nothing less than Cannonball, Sunspot, Dani Moonstar and Magma: The original New Mutants! But why...??
It's never really explained, and none of these kids seem to ask for an explanation, either. But for now, the mission is, literally, to stalk and kill the New Mutants. Sounds pretty heroic, right?

The comic is not boring or anything, there's action and suspense. But my main problem with this is that nothing seems to serve to a purpose. It's another very "inner" storyline, dealing a group of characters fighting another group of characters, for a not discernable reason that doesn't matter that much, in the end. That's just another problem of American comic books.
So, basically, this is a really stupid comic; not boring at all, but extremely stupid and pointless.

Best thing of the comic?

Moonstar's ass.

There are other 7 issues of this, gonna read later.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Interesting team-up for this, and I like the art. :)

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/TheSewer/news/?a=108367

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Been hearing pretty good things about that Widow series, actually.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

She's teaming up with... Jennifer Connelly? :laugh:

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 28, 2014, 06:12:14 PM
Been hearing pretty good things about that Widow series, actually.

The first six issues are collected in a paperback. Might be looking to get that next month.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 28, 2014, 06:13:51 PM
She's teaming up with... Jennifer Connelly? :laugh:

X-23

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'll probably check it out as well. But I already have too many comics sitting on my shelf that I haven't read yet. :P

Hurry up Winter so I can actually have time to read some of this stuff. :D

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 28, 2014, 06:20:15 PMHurry up Winter so I can actually have time to read some of this stuff. :D

Avoids obvious pun.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

So I went and filmed a few videos going over my comic collection. Only the first part is uploaded right now, though.

Shasvre

Shasvre

First look at the new Thor series. Looking pretty good so far. :)

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=108395

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I've read Hellboy: Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil. I really like all of it so far. :)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Omegazilla on Sep 29, 2014, 08:52:35 PM
I've read Hellboy: Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil. I really like all of it so far. :)

I have both of those sitting on my shelf, among the many other things I still have to read. :D

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 29, 2014, 02:28:49 AM
So I went and filmed a few videos going over my comic collection. Only the first part is uploaded right now, though.

Your Preacher comments were awesome. :laugh:

Spoiler
Martian n***ers. :laugh:
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed