Started by Nobody, Feb 27, 2009, 12:27:02 AM

Author
The Thing Thread (Read 448,759 times)

SM

SM

More an adaptation I thought.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Carpenter's 'The Thing' is regarded as a remake of the 1951 movie 'The Thing From Another World'. At least, that's how Carpenter views his own movie.
However, both movies are essentially adaptations of the Campbell short story "Who Goes There?" from 1938, which can be read here. Carpenter's is a much closer adaptation than the 1951 movie.
So I guess you could say it a bit of both. :)

SiL

SiL

Carpenter's movie is more a sequel/adaptation than a remake (I know how he sees it, I don't care). It uses footage from the original as backstory for its Norwegian camp exposition, and even takes the same plot set-up - Norwegians find ship, thermite charge it, cut out the Thing, Thing starts killing people.

I see no point in this prequel thing. We know the plot. We know not only how it ends, but how it begins, and most of the shit in the middle.

"When's the dude gonna slit his wrists?"
"Wait, what? What do you mean?"
"Look, there."
"...dude, have you seen this movie?"

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

According to Carpenter on the audio commentary, re-using footage from the original movie was more of an in-joke and acknowledging that he was making a remake than anything else. :P

I just think that if "done right", a depiction of the events at the Norwegian camp could be really interesting. Sure we know how it starts and ends, but that doesn't mean it can't be interesting and entertaining. Hell, look at the Star Wars prequels; we knew exactly how the series would end, but that doesn't mean the story of Anakin Skywalker's rise and fall isn't worth telling. :)
Not to mention this prequel could have a bunch of "fanservice" moments. Seeing characters end up the way we see them early on in 'The Thing' would make some people smile, I'm sure, just as ending the movie with the helicopter chasing the dog would.

SM

SM

The difference is we had no idea how Star Wars began.  Only very vague hints about Old Republics, Jedi and Clone Wars.

As SiL said, in The Thing we more or less know what happens in the Norwegian camp.  And how do you get someone as cool as Macready, without it being a Macready clone, to carry it.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Quote from: SM on Feb 27, 2009, 04:39:13 AM
The difference is we had no idea how Star Wars began.  Only very vague hints about Old Republics, Jedi and Clone Wars.

As SiL said, in The Thing we more or less know what happens in the Norwegian camp.  And how do you get someone as cool as Macready, without it being a Macready clone, to carry it.

By putting in Macready's brother, somehow placing him with the Norwegians before the alien goes to the American camp. 

SM

SM

Lame.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Grostesque monsters eating people is probably why I will see this movie.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 27, 2009, 03:52:49 AM
Hell, look at the Star Wars prequels; we knew exactly how the series would end, but that doesn't mean the story of Anakin Skywalker's rise and fall isn't worth telling. :)
This isn't the same as knowing little Annie-poos turns into Darth Vader, but. This is like if parts 4-6 explained in actual detail how it came about, and then they did the prequels. It's entirely superfluous - We know already!

Norwegians find ship. Try to get it out with their thermite charges, damage the ship. They find the Thing buried in the ice nearby, cut it out and take it back to camp. Once there it thaws and breaks free, assimilating the members of the station. One Thing is chased outside and burned; one Norwegian slits his wrist and neck; another winds up dead ups-side down in a cabinet; the camp gets burned down in large sections and the last two Norwegians chase the last Thing, now in the guise of a dog, out across the ice.

QuoteNot to mention this prequel could have a bunch of "fanservice" moments.
Man, screw fanservice. Fan service gets us Aliens vs. Predator Requiem. Fan service gets us shitty homages, a lack of creativity, foregone conclusions and a lackluster final product that offers nothing new while providing only cheap, forgettable entertainment.

Screw that noise, sir!

They're gonna do it regardless, but man, why.

SM

SM

And The Thing will be CGIed out the wazoo, despite the original practical effects being utter awesomeness.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

cgi would be lame

SM

SM

It could be good - but you just know the director will say "I want to use as much practical effects as possible" only to use a stack of CGI.

gameoverman

gameoverman

They can't do a movie based on the Norwegian team and sell it to American audiences.  Is the whole movie going to be in subtitles?  Why would Norwegians speak english?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: gameoverman on Feb 27, 2009, 01:31:29 PM
They can't do a movie based on the Norwegian team and sell it to American audiences.  Is the whole movie going to be in subtitles?  Why would Norwegians speak english?
They'd speak english for the sake of the audience. They never interact with anyone other than themselves anyway, so what's the problem in letting them speak English with a Norwegian accent? Anyone who's seen the first movie would "get" it.

Alien³

Alien³

It should have a different story, but who knows this could be an awesome film if it's done right and its not over the top like most films today.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed