Alien Anthology Discussion

Started by AVP66, Feb 19, 2009, 04:11:42 PM

Author
Alien Anthology Discussion (Read 364,233 times)

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

Quote from: Vulhala on Oct 26, 2010, 12:01:42 PM
Alien:
Main difference would be that the DC has the 'egg morphing' scene. In the TC she just runs pretty much straight to the shuttle.
I must have seen theatrical then, so I guess when anthology comes it is Directors Cut for me ;)
Aliens:
In the Special Edition, we see the scene where Newts parents get hugged, and the sentry gun scene which you saw.
So yeah I guess I have yet to see theatrical then.
Alien 3:
In the AC, the Alien comes from an ox instead of a dog.
I have seen the dog one, so I am seeing the assembly cut then.
Res:
Barely noticable difference apart from the geginning which shows where the victims the Betty was transporting came from. At least I think it was them.
So I guess I will just choose random. It doesn't even matter cause either way watching alien res is always a bad experience even in blu-ray.

Oh yeah omega just saw I guess I will watch alien res special edition then.

Also are both versions upgraded.

First Blood

First Blood

I haven't seen the AC of Alien3 yet, and suprisingly enough that's the flick I am most excited about watching. Heard its good a really good making of as well.  :)

Also looking forward to seeing how well Aliens looks.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: First Blood on Oct 26, 2010, 01:10:32 PM
I haven't seen the AC of Alien3 yet, and suprisingly enough that's the flick I am most excited about watching.

It's my tied favourite with the TC of Alien. It feels more of a complete version of the movie to me. And I'm happy they seem to have cleaned the audio up a bit. Can't wait to see it.

BTW if you'd like to see and completely different cut of the movie, xeno alpha_07 made a cut which includes a bit of the workprint stuff that isn't on the AC or TC. It's a good watch  ;)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Alien Runner ain't fixed on the Anthology. In a pristine image, it now looks worse than ever.

robbritton

robbritton

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Oct 26, 2010, 10:20:40 AM
Quote from: robbritton on Oct 26, 2010, 09:09:23 AM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Oct 25, 2010, 05:11:34 PM
Quote from: robbritton on Oct 25, 2010, 02:04:28 PM
Got mine today. Bit steep at £120 from HMV but I had vouchers so guess I can't complain!

Am weirdly most excited at seeing the Alien 3 menus - I read that they offer an explanation of how the egg got on the Sulaco and am pretty intrigued!

i also reckon it'll double as an awesome nightlight for my little boy! heh!

What you talkin bout? I got the limited edition egg from HMV and it was only £79.99!!

Was that ordered, though? Mine was bought in store, 'cause I had vouchers to use, so. Definitely £120 - although I only had to pay £40 of that in cash, so not too bad!

'Course, I get home to find my PS3 broken! ARGH!

No mine was in store. Plus I have a mate who works there so I got a further 30% off he he.  ;D

Well you got a good deal then! Good work!

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: Vulhala on Oct 26, 2010, 12:13:34 PM
Can't believe I forgot about Ripley not getting bursted at the end of the A3 assembly cut.

That has always bothered me about the Assembly Cut. I think the perfect ending lies somewhere between the two versions. I like that we have some extended dialogue and some longer character based shots but I wish they would have used the burster too. It just gives the end the added punch, even if it doesn't make sense at all, it still gives the film a greater impact with such an iconic image (Ripley falling into the furnace with the Alien Queen burster in her hands... It says everything about the franchise from just how the Alien has become a part of her much like a parasite to how it's destroyed her chance at motherhood). Errr, I've gone on a little haven't I. But yeah...

predxeno

predxeno

Res:

Barely noticable difference apart from the geginning which shows where the victims the Betty was transporting came from. At least I think it was them.

Where was that? ???

Vulhala

Vulhala

I always assumed that the guy squishing the bug on the window was a part of the crew that was taken by the Betty. Don't know why, it's just always the impression I've had from watching it.

predxeno

predxeno

I think that was Distaphano.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Gazz on Oct 26, 2010, 03:34:05 PM
Quote from: Vulhala on Oct 26, 2010, 12:13:34 PM
Can't believe I forgot about Ripley not getting bursted at the end of the A3 assembly cut.

That has always bothered me about the Assembly Cut. I think the perfect ending lies somewhere between the two versions. I like that we have some extended dialogue and some longer character based shots but I wish they would have used the burster too. It just gives the end the added punch, even if it doesn't make sense at all, it still gives the film a greater impact with such an iconic image (Ripley falling into the furnace with the Alien Queen burster in her hands... It says everything about the franchise from just how the Alien has become a part of her much like a parasite to how it's destroyed her chance at motherhood). Errr, I've gone on a little haven't I. But yeah...
I never liked the burster. It felt like a gore shot and like you said, didn't make too much sense.

'I didn't want to have the Alien come out. I still don't like the idea of the Alien emerging ... No matter what cathartic experience we could expect from finally seeing the two strongest images from the first movie, the chestburster and the character of Ripley, if we left the movie with her choking on her tongue then the audience would feel worse going out of the film than they do now ... The chestburster in the original movie was great, because it had been grounded in reality. There was a loss of control there that was really frightening ... I thought it was vulgar [in Alien 3]. If she gets ripped apart before she falls into the fire, that's not sacrifice, that's janitorial service. To knowingly step into the void carrying this thing within her seemed more regal'
David Fincher.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: predxeno on Oct 26, 2010, 03:45:41 PM

Really? The craft they were in looked nothing like the Auriga from memory.

predxeno

predxeno

I think it was part of another ship or something.  It's been a long time since I read the opening of the A:R novelization.

alienfan91

alienfan91

There's a site up now in honor of the DVD release that has all the screams from all the movies. You can apparently create one as well. http://www.alienscream.com/UK/

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Vulhala on Oct 26, 2010, 03:52:33 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Oct 26, 2010, 03:45:41 PM

Really? The craft they were in looked nothing like the Auriga from memory.

It was a gun turret on the Auriga.

Vulhala

Vulhala

I'll have to keep an eye out for it when I next see it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed