Alien Anthology Discussion

Started by AVP66, Feb 19, 2009, 04:11:42 PM

Author
Alien Anthology Discussion (Read 364,247 times)

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 20, 2011, 05:41:26 PM
LOL! :D
Well, I know AvPR is the darkest film you & I have ever seen, but look:

That is good picture quality.

Now look at a shot from Resurrection:

Not nearly as good.
Really?  You think that AvPR's hideous lack of black level looks good?   There's a big difference between a well-shot film that uses darkness as an essential element, and a film that had it's gamma levels cranked way down in post production.

Say what you will about A:R, but the cinematography blows AvPR's out of the water.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Well what about how they were filmed or what they were filmed on?

Anyway, I'll be sure to ask Charlie about it when I get him.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jan 21, 2011, 04:19:17 PM
Say what you will about A:R, but the cinematography blows AvPR's out of the water.
That is not my point (as I love A:R's cinematography as well)! :D My grip is that they had no problems in cleaning out the picture quality and going for a crystal-clear one for AvPR, whereas in A:R they barely upscaled the DvD. There's DvD grain everywhere and the details weren't improved of a comma. In the Underwater scene especially.

Gieferg

Gieferg

QuoteDvD grain

WTF is "DVD grain" ? I understand "film grain" but DVD grain?

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Anti-aliasing.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 21, 2011, 07:44:33 PM
A:R they barely upscaled the DvD. There's DvD grain everywhere and the details weren't improved of a comma. In the Underwater scene especially.
Barely upscaled DVD?  That is demonstrably untrue.  Yes, there is a heavy layer of grain in the image, but it is film grain...and I for one am glad they did not scrub it all out like they did on Predator.  (Even if Jeunet himself wants to smooth it all away.)   Could they have done better?  Absolutely.  It's clear they put less time, money and effort into A3 and AR than they did the first two films, but AR hasn't looked better in a home format before this.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Gieferg on Jan 21, 2011, 09:51:01 PM
WTF is "DVD grain" ? I understand "film grain" but DVD grain?
Film grain, yeah.

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jan 22, 2011, 02:57:11 AM
Barely upscaled DVD?
Yup. Compared to the other works, it is. A barely better DvD, if this is worded better.

Yes, there is a heavy layer of grain in the image, but it is film grain...
Which is in a considerable (and surely noticeable) quantity, again compared to Alien and Alien3 (not counting Aliens because there was this talk about how it is supposed to be grainy, or something along these lines)

(Even if Jeunet himself wants to smooth it all away.)
If they had followed what the director wanted, they'd have done a Blu-Ray that reflects the vision of the Director in regards of the film, which is precisely what they have done with Aliens. Why didn't they call out Jeunet to give at least a little direction, exactly?

Could they have done better?  Absolutely.
That's the point.

It's clear they put less time, money and effort into A3 and AR than they did the first two films,
Thing is, I have yet to see a valid reason. Why did they put less effort? A3 and A:R deserve as much respect as any other Fox Film released on Blu-Ray. Other Fox 90s Fox films look fairly better - as an example I could give you Independence Day (which is one of the best Blu-Rays out there). My grip is they could have done better and just didn't care, and hadn't a really valid reason, as those two films deserve as much respect as any other film of theirs.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

The answer to your last question is....

Money.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Independence day whooped the dogshit out of Alien 3 and Res in gross.  Of course it's going to have a better investment on it on re-release.

Alien 3 and Res are genre films that border on arthouse.  You typically dont put as much money in that as you would a movie with mass appeal.

Again.  Marketing 101.

Alexa Chung

Alexa Chung

ronso brother you need to chill

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'm chill as an ice cube in this beya.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jan 22, 2011, 06:57:46 PM

Money.
Thank you, I guess. :-\

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jan 23, 2011, 01:58:13 AM
Independence day whooped the dogshit out of Alien 3 and Res in gross.
Predator 2 did, too? It has a fairly better PQ if you ask me, yet it was barely a success.

chupacabras acheronsis

it was an independent release.

i think you are in denial of how little people care about Ressurection.

SM

SM

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jan 22, 2011, 06:57:46 PM

Money.

Get away.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jan 24, 2011, 12:11:32 AM
it was an independent release.
Independent as for?

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jan 24, 2011, 12:11:32 AM
i think you are in denial of how little people care about Ressurection.
"People" care very little for Predator 2, too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed