Started by Commander Griker, Jan 10, 2009, 11:45:00 AM

Author
Xenomorph Origin (Read 23,037 times)

Meathead320

Meathead320

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jan 13, 2009, 10:14:40 PM
Quote from: Vanski on Jan 13, 2009, 08:22:23 PM
That's a great looking one  :).

yeah, is nice concept. my only problem is with the legs. too fleshy for an alien. :P

It is still a cool drawing. Not the way I would envision a Genetrix.

It looks like a regular Adult Alien crossed with a human female. Perhaps a bit of a Queen head shape, but reduced.

It almost works better as a female human Alien mix, not via regular implantation, but something else.

The breasts, generally more humanoid effeminate figure, hips, legs, about 70% looks based on the silhouette of a voluptuous human female.

If you drew that yourself, you have talent. It is a cool design.

The way I envision a Mother of all Aliens, their Goddess like figure, would be more along the lines of what has already been established with them deviating away from the human form.

Higher up the Alien rank, with the Queens there is a further move away from the human form, to the point where it is arguable that similar features, such as her having vertebrae or 32 teeth are entirely coincidental. I tend to think these features still relate to her host, but it is arguable that they having nothing to do with it.

I figure the supreme Alien mother would have nothing more in common with a human form than what the normal Adult Aliens have at most, and perhaps as little a normal Queen has.

That is the only reason I would pass on that more human design for a Genetrix Alien. Its a different concept than what I am thinking of, yet still good Art.   

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Undeadite on Jan 13, 2009, 05:15:42 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 13, 2009, 04:34:53 PM
Just to be clear, I WAS joking with the Slaanesh comment. :P

Lol, we know :P

And back to the discussion about the xenos being the only life form on the planet of Archeron, we cant prove that, nor can we prove that Archeron was their home world.
Every source on the topic (Aliens RPG, USCM Tech Manual, Aliens novelization, etc) has been pretty clear on the point that LV-426 had no indigenous life that we knew of.
Other EU sources are also pretty specific that LV-426 isn't their homeworld, either. :)

Quote from: Undeadite on Jan 13, 2009, 08:08:17 PM
Yes, Archeron is an expanded universe title but still a name for LV-426. I believe it first arose in the Aliens novelization (and possibly the script, I don't know).
Yeah, Acheron is the accepted name in pretty much every source. It shows up in the Aliens RPG, the USCM Tech Manual, I think it's in the novelization, I think it's in the script, it's just not spoken in the movie. I think it gets mentioned in both the 'Alien3' and 'Alien Resurrection' novelizations, too.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Well EU isnt considered direct canon, but from the movies I agree that LV-426 is not their home world and you just said yourself it has no indigenous life "that we know of".

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Undeadite on Jan 14, 2009, 12:53:57 AM
Well EU isnt considered direct canon
This isn't exactly accurate according to FOX, but there are other "canon" topics for debating it. :)

Undeadite

Undeadite

Wait, what are we arguing about in this forum?  ;)

SM

SM

Quote"that we know of"

Except for the civilisation O'Bannon originally envisaged for the Aliens that had been long dead.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I thought we were talking about Alien origins. :P

To contribute, the EU is actually pretty noncommittal on whether Aliens are bioengineered or naturally-evolving, going so far as to either show sources (such as the Space Jockeys) as being potentially untrustworthy or misleading when talking about Alien origins, or retconning out old stuff like the "Alien Homeworld" in the old 'Aliens: The Female War' comic. The 'Aliens: Genocide' novel retcons the homeworld out by saying it's actually a "hiveworld", a planet with a high Alien population count, and if there's a homeworld then we haven't found it (or can prove that we've found it, if it exists).

There's sources that provide evidence for both theories of Alien origins, with the reason being that apparently FOX wants to leave the topic as "off limits" so that a movie could potentially cover it.

Quote from: SM on Jan 14, 2009, 01:27:55 AM
Quote"that we know of"

Except for the civilisation O'Bannon originally envisaged for the Aliens that had been long dead.
Is that in the very early script draft or something? Are you talking about the pyramid that had the eggs in, and Kane descends in from the hole in the top and gets facehugged?

If nothing else, the pyramid concept was removed from the movie (obviously), and like I said various EU sources are pretty clear on the status of life on LV-426. :)

SM

SM

If the Alien civilisation was long dead, as I said, then it wouldn't be around now to contradict the dead planetoid we see in the films.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Okay, I think you lost me - are you saying that there could have been an extraterrestrial civilization on LV-426 (as mentioned in the early script draft, but was omitted from the actual shooting script) but we just don't see it in the movie because it's long-gone?

I suppose that makes sense, but it's something I think I'd just want more evidence on; I think Corporal Hicks had a similar theory about LV-426 being the Space Jockey homeworld, but we could neither prove nor disprove the theory. Like, there was no evidence for it at all, but it was a possibility and couldn't really be disproved.
I dunno.

SM

SM

QuoteOkay, I think you lost me - are you saying that there could have been an extraterrestrial civilization on LV-426 (as mentioned in the early script draft, but was omitted from the actual shooting script) but we just don't see it in the movie because it's long-gone?

Yes.

Not just "an extraterrestrial civilisation", but an Alien (with a capital A) civilisation.  Once the Aliens get past their adolescent bloodlust, they become much more intelligent, cultured and refined.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Huh, well, I think that's a completely different theory altogether. I can't say I agree with that one, either. At least, not without a whole lot of evidence I guess.

Meathead320

Meathead320

When you look at the design of the Alien you are looking at a predator. Not a sophisticated animal.

Take a look into functional morphology and paralleling evolution. Intelligent creatures that use and make mechanical tools are going to have to drop features that make it difficult to manipulate objects. For example.

The Aliens have razor sharp claws, large sharp teeth, both primary and secondary, and an armored hide.

They are clearly not sophisticated in the "cultured" sense as it applies to humans. I do not see them building space ships or ray guns, or houses with luxuries, or cars, or other tech.

Now the original Alien concept did not look anything like what was eventually commissioned by Giger, and perhaps that alien would easier fit the morphological pattern of sophisticated beings.

The Alien is purity and simplicity as a survivor, but a technological space faring being they are not.

They hijack any ride they need by impregnating and propagating. It is what they do best.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Meathead320 on Jan 14, 2009, 03:00:44 AM
When you look at the design of the Alien you are looking at a predator. Not a sophisticated animal.

Take a look into functional morphology and paralleling evolution. Intelligent creatures that use and make mechanical tools are going to have to drop features that make it difficult to manipulate objects. For example.

The Aliens have razor sharp claws, large sharp teeth, both primary and secondary, and an armored hide.

They are clearly not sophisticated in the "cultured" sense as it applies to humans. I do not see them building space ships or ray guns, or houses with luxuries, or cars, or other tech.

Now the original Alien concept did not look anything like what was eventually commissioned by Giger, and perhaps that alien would easier fit the morphological pattern of sophisticated beings.

The Alien is purity and simplicity as a survivor, but a technological space faring being they are not.

They hijack any ride they need by impregnating and propagating. It is what they do best.

Yeah, I think you just nailed all the reasons why "a long-lost Xenomorph culture/civilization" strikes me as wrong, and said it better than I could have. :)

SM

SM

QuoteThey are clearly not sophisticated in the "cultured" sense as it applies to humans. I do not see them building space ships or ray guns, or houses with luxuries, or cars, or other tech.

Can a human infant?  The original concept from the guy who created them was that they became more civilised as the aged and had a lifespan of a couple of centuries.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Jan 14, 2009, 03:04:41 AM
QuoteThey are clearly not sophisticated in the "cultured" sense as it applies to humans. I do not see them building space ships or ray guns, or houses with luxuries, or cars, or other tech.

Can a human infant?  The original concept from the guy who created them was that they became more civilised as the aged and had a lifespan of a couple of centuries.
I thought the original concept was that they had a life-cycle of a matter of days and the one in 'Alien' was essentially "dying of old age" by the end of the film? ???
Not to mention the original idea was that it was translucent and got darker with age over the course of the film (or the other way around, I can't remember) but the idea was impossible to do with a guy in a suit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed