Paul W.S Anderson or The Strause Brothers for AVP3?

Started by DARIAS93, Aug 29, 2008, 02:46:07 PM

So who do you think deserves to return and direct AVP3?

Paul W.S Anderson
145 (78.4%)
The Strause Brothers
40 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author
Paul W.S Anderson or The Strause Brothers for AVP3? (Read 70,495 times)

Xenomorphine

Artistically, the first film was better. If Anderson was given the money and the direction to make it mature, he could potentially do it. What we needed was 'Event Horizon' Anderson, but we ended up getting 'Resident Evil' Anderson. A big part of that is apparently having someone else write the script.

The characters in both films are much of a muchness, but there was at least better tension in the first. Scenes like when the structure first starts shifting and the character who gets outflanked in the dark, on their own, raptor-style, in the tunnels. After Sebastian is abducted, later on, with Lex having no clue of where to go and her compass being broken, in the dark. Stuff like that had potential and while it was squandered, there was not even that in the sequel to it.

I actually think James Cameron could make a blinding one, now that he's realised the concept is actually closer to his tastes than he thought it would be. Quite whether Fox would be willing to give him the many millions it would take for whatever his concept would be, I don't know, but there would probably be a better chance of attracting him to such a thing now, than there used to be.

It's a complete fantasy, though, because they would never be willing to give it that budget or required level of creative control.

What's required, above all else, is a great writer. That seems to be where a lot of the problems have arisen.

stroggificated

stroggificated

None of them.
Anderson is an admitted alien fan. The Brother Strauses are predator fans. Interviews and their one-sided movie are the proof. They aren't a good choice.
We need a new director who wants to please both sides.

If i have to choose one of them, I would take Anderson.
I think he would learn a lesson from the past. Better than the Strauses. Besides, Anderson has much more skill, while the brothers showed us, that they are not great David Finchers.

The Brother Strause really think they made a good movie. They are too self righteous. They lied to much. 10 minutes fight scene? Where? And don't forget their weird idea of dino-sized aliens. What the hell? This giant alien would look like crap if they don't waste all the money for it. And we all know which creature they would neglect because of low budget. FOX can't be so dumb to let them return.

nukem11

nukem11

Quote from: PHANTOM on Aug 29, 2008, 06:10:24 PM
If I had no other choice in the whole world and I had to hire one of them, I would pick Paul Anderson.

I would only choose Paul Anderson because he has more experience and if he's allowed to direct a hardcore R rated film with a big budget I know he would do better! The Strause Brothers really suck as directors because they were given the freedom to direct an R rated AVP film and they still failed BIG TIME!

Paul Anderson managed to direct a better AVP film even though it was PG-13. I would rather give him another chance since I thought the first AVP had better fight scenes, better special effects, set designs and overall story. AVP-R had nothing going for it, the story sucked, the characters sucked, the visuals to the entire film sucked, it was a shit smear in the end.

I agree with you. The first film is better put together it just lacked the gore and the fact the predators looked like shit. Avp r had the gore but the film was a complete mess with shit actors and directors.

Le Celticant

Quotethe fact the predators looked like shit

As in AvP:Requiem in the predator ship, that's an actual fact.
ADI design => Shitty.
Wofl weren't so different than the avp predator, he had very long dreadlock, some piece as gauntlet and few things on his armor recycle from the avp predator.
The body skin is exactly the same, only the color changed.
Only the helmet and the fact he had few piece of armor made himm look "cool" but the design wasn't so far than avp predator.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: StealthHunter on Aug 30, 2008, 08:12:31 AM
QuoteIt had action. Something AvP lacked in large numbers.

Quote3 Predators being pwned on the ship, sewer fight, power plant hunt, hospital fight, national guard scene, Wolf vs. Chet

How about you grow a pair of eyes and actually watch both movies?

Maybe you should go watch the movie again,dude.

All of those scenes together barely add up to 6 minutes of screentime in a 90 minute movie. Seriously,for example, the sewer fight lasts for a measely and poorly made 40 seconds. And the Wolf vs. Chet fight is barely 2 minutes long. Now the amount of time wouldn't have mattered as much if the action scenes were actually well-made, but sadly they were not. At the very the best, the action in Requiem is at times somewhat pedestrain.

Sure, the first AvP isn't exactly action packed either.But the Celtic vs. Grid fight scene alone is about 3+ minutes long, add to that the other skirmishes between the Aliens and Preds, the flashback, the Queen battle, aswell as the fights between the humans and Preds. There's more action in AvP than there is in Requiem. But more importantly, the quality of the action in AvP is infinitely more impressive. Meaning in terms of direction,visual-style,editing,lighting, choreography etc', there's just really no comparison whatsoever between the two.

At the end of the day, I still find AvP:R more entertaining. Grid vs. Celtic is the only part of AvP I find interesting. I can watch that scene then I immediately switch the movie off b/c the rest of it is just one big eyesore. AvP:R on the other hand, I can watch right from beginning to end no problem.

Cue PHANTOM and another darkness complaint...

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 30, 2008, 09:50:30 AM
I actually think James Cameron could make a blinding one, now that he's realised the concept is actually closer to his tastes than he thought it would be. Quite whether Fox would be willing to give him the many millions it would take for whatever his concept would be, I don't know, but there would probably be a better chance of attracting him to such a thing now, than there used to be.

Amen to that. As I've said previously, JC could very easily make (I think) an AvP that's as good as Aliens, but for some unspoken rule of self-righteousness, he doesn't seem to want to.

nukem11

Quote from: Le Celticant on Aug 30, 2008, 01:51:21 PM
Quotethe fact the predators looked like shit

As in AvP:Requiem in the predator ship, that's an actual fact.
ADI design => Shitty.
Wofl weren't so different than the avp predator, he had very long dreadlock, some piece as gauntlet and few things on his armor recycle from the avp predator.
The body skin is exactly the same, only the color changed.
Only the helmet and the fact he had few piece of armor made himm look "cool" but the design wasn't so far than avp predator.

I know the old predators had more of a darker texture. ADI were just cheap compared to Stan Winstons team.

PHANTOM

Quote from: StealthHunter on Aug 30, 2008, 08:12:31 AM
Maybe you should go watch the movie again,dude.

All of those scenes together barely add up to 6 minutes of screentime in a 90 minute movie. Seriously,for example, the sewer fight lasts for a measely and poorly made 40 seconds. And the Wolf vs. Chet fight is barely 2 minutes long. Now the amount of time wouldn't have mattered as much if the action scenes were actually well-made, but sadly they were not. At the very the best, the action in Requiem is at times somewhat pedestrain.

Sure, the first AvP isn't exactly action packed either.But the Celtic vs. Grid fight scene alone is about 3+ minutes long, add to that the other skirmishes between the Aliens and Preds, the flashback, the Queen battle, aswell as the fights between the humans and Preds. There's more action in AvP than there is in Requiem. But more importantly, the quality of the action in AvP is infinitely more impressive. Meaning in terms of direction,visual-style,editing,lighting, choreography etc', there's just really no comparison whatsoever between the two.

110% agree.

Pvt. Hicks

I wonder if they still would've gotten the Strause Brothers if Guillermo Del Toro directed the first one...

PHANTOM

Well it doesn't matter now because the Strause Brothers f**ked up AVP-R so much they made sure the movie sucked and also made sure no talented director will ever touch this franchise again.

Thanks Colin and Greg ;D

You made all our nightmares come full circle now.

ArielAleXCo

ArielAleXCo

Quote from: aliensetta on Aug 29, 2008, 06:19:27 PM
I would rather have Paul Anderson then the Strause Brothers again.

He didn't make that bad of a movie really. The only to "big" problems with AVP was the dialog and the fact it was PG 13 other then that it was a fun good movie.

If another AVP is made I'll be hoping they bring back Paul Anderson rather then the Strause Brother or some new guy.

nop. the only big problem anderson had.... was the direction. the concept was good, the fotographer was good, the actors... 2-3, the predator and alien designs.... well 2 big problems.

Quote from: Pvt. Hicks on Aug 30, 2008, 05:57:55 PM
I wonder if they still would've gotten the Strause Brothers if Guillermo Del Toro directed the first one...

yeah... one thing for sure is that México is a good thing for predators.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 30, 2008, 12:31:53 AM
Quote from: gameoverman on Aug 29, 2008, 10:15:08 PM
Anderson, for sure.  I'd rather see a professionally done movie than an amateurish, dark piece of shit.

B/c Anderson didn't have any problems with darkness, right? ::)

Actually the encharged of the ligthing and that sort of stuff is the director of photography... not the director of the movie. anderson sucks.

DoomRulz

Quote from: ArielAleXCo on Aug 31, 2008, 06:20:57 AM
B/c Anderson didn't have any problems with darkness, right? ::)

Actually the encharged of the ligthing and that sort of stuff is the director of photography... not the director of the movie. anderson sucks.
[/quote]

Like the Brothers, he had the final say in everything so that's a load of bollocks. At least the Brothers had colours. They may have been faint, but they were there. I truly believe PA is colour-blind b/c the entire pyramid sequence in AvP was gray, gray, gray. Yeesh.

Johnny Handsome

QuoteIn total, there's about a total of 10 minutes of actual "shooting" in Aliens. As for Resurrection, still not as much as P1 and P2, but still not.

Why is action now something youre using against the Predator movies? Is anything wrong with action now?

As for the story thing you´ve mentioned, and that alien fans prefer a good story blablabla, take a look at Predators story and the Alien one, their both simple, but as a whole, Predators story is the more complex one.

Aliens: She returns to the planet with a bunch of space marines where the aliens have taken over a colony complex.... wheeewww, what a Terrific story  ::)

Alien3: She crashes on a prison planet with an alien on the ship pullen straight out of the producers ass where it all begins from new.... wheeew, heartbreaking story.

A:rez : They clone her and... i dont need to continue, because its just stupid.

Sry, but the alien movies where always about entertainment aswell, not so in action but in suspense and horror.

Great characters, of course, but so did Predator.

Were talking about little sci-fi popcorn flicks, stop talking about the alien movies like it was The Godfather or something and come down from your high horse.

Le Celticant

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 31, 2008, 11:29:06 AM
QuoteIn total, there's about a total of 10 minutes of actual "shooting" in Aliens. As for Resurrection, still not as much as P1 and P2, but still not.

Why is action now something youre using against the Predator movies? Is anything wrong with action now?

As for the story thing you´ve mentioned, and that alien fans prefer a good story blablabla, take a look at Predators story and the Alien one, their both simple, but as a whole, Predators story is the more complex one.

Aliens: She returns to the planet with a bunch of space marines where the aliens have taken over a colony complex.... wheeewww, what a Terrific story  ::)

Alien3: She crashes on a prison planet with an alien on the ship pullen straight out of the producers ass where it all begins from new.... wheeew, heartbreaking story.

A:rez : They clone her and... i dont need to continue, because its just stupid.

Sry, but the alien movies where always about entertainment aswell, not so in action but in suspense and horror.

Great characters, of course, but so did Predator.

Were talking about little sci-fi popcorn flicks, stop talking about the alien movies like it was The Godfather or something and come down from your high horse.

You have a so low opinion about Alien movies Johnny that make me laugh everytime you're saying bullshit about them  ::)

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteYou have a so low opinion about Alien movies Johnny that make me laugh everytime you're saying bullshit about them
I love them, otherwise i wouldnt have bought them on dvd (Yes, i actually dont buy movies i dont like)

So the only thing laughable is your reproof. But hey i didnt expect another reply in the first place  :D

If you cant handle what i write then simply dont reply or dont read them, simple as that. Have a nice day.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 31, 2008, 12:24:22 PM
QuoteYou have a so low opinion about Alien movies Johnny that make me laugh everytime you're saying bullshit about them
I love them, otherwise i wouldnt have bought them on dvd (Yes, i actually dont buy movies i dont like)

So the only thing laughable is your reproof. But hey i didnt expect another reply in the first place  :D

Be carefull, french people are surprising  ;D you know frenchpred aswell.

anyway if we have to talk about the complexity of predator story:

Predator: Dutch and his team go in the jungle to liberate hostage and ecounter a predator

Predator 2: Mike Harrigan track and hunt dealer in Los Angeles and finish by discovering a new ennemy who Kill cop and dealer  ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed