Gearbox Confirmed as FPS Developers

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 15, 2006, 05:29:12 PM

Author
Gearbox Confirmed as FPS Developers (Read 8,876 times)

Corporal Hicks

First-Person Shooter to be Based on Motion Picture Franchise LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (December 15, 2006) – SEGA of America Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced the signing of critically-acclaimed developer Gearbox Software to create a first-person shooter title based on the Alien film franchise for the next-generation systems with license from Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising. The agreement complements the recent announcement of an Alien RPG title for the next-generation systems to be developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

Gearbox Software is a leading developer in the first-person shooter genre, producing titles for the industry's top franchises including Brothers in Arms, Halo and Half-Life. They consistently produce best-selling titles and have garnered numerous industry awards. Gearbox Software's FPS Alien title will retain the atmospheric look and feel of the original films while leveraging next-generation technology to create an entirely new interactive Alien experience.

"Gearbox Software has a storied history of bringing innovative and compelling design to the FPS category," said Simon Jeffery, President and COO,SEGA of America, Inc. "Combining their design talents with the intense action of the Alien franchise ensures that gamers will have an immersive and action-packed experience."

"The Alien series has been a tremendous influence for myself, the people at Gearbox Software and the video games industry in general," said Randy Pitchford, President of Gearbox Software. "The opportunity to work with the amazing people at SEGA and Fox to build a next generation video game in the Alien universe is one of those dream projects that is a perfect fit for our capability and our passion."

Since its 1979 debut, Alien and its three sequels have grossed more than $557 million worldwide, garnering numerous awards, including two Academy Awards. In 2002, Alien was deemed "culturally significant" by the United States Library of Congress and was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry. For more information, please visit www.sega.com/aliens

So everything's been sorted out now.

Darkness

It certainly sounds promising. Too bad I'll never have a X360 or PS3. I can't believe it's not on PC.   :-\

All I've been waiting for, for the past 4 years is another PC FPS.

Corporal Hicks

You should definately get a 360 when they come down in price.

Darkness

I wouldn't mind one. But I'd rather have a Wii.

The Ultimate Predator

Why, just out of interest?

And they could be making it for Wii as well.

Darkness

The games: Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Zelda, Mario Kart. Then there's the gamecube games and I missed out on all them.

I wouldn't mind an X360 for the sake of the FPS games but I find it impossible to play FPS on a control pad.

The Ultimate Predator

Really? I love it.

Darkness

I tried playing Medal of Honour on my PS2. Let's just say I resold it on ebay after a few days. Nothing beats a mouse and keyboard.

Corporal Hicks

The XB had the best controller for FPS. That controller is the reason I prefer console gaming.

The Ultimate Predator

I agree, I really enjoy it.

Redfield

im hopeless at fps on console 2! i went over my friends place and a group of us played halo 2 on the xbox- by the end of it i was begging them to stop killing me!

Predator Eldar

In my opinion the only and proper way to play FPS games is on a pc. When I play FPS games on my xbox I find it harder to get into the game then i would if it was on pc.
As far as the new Aliens shooter game goes I think they will have to release it for the pc not just next generation consoles.
Think about AVP2, that game came out in 2001 and computer graphics have far serpassed it now, but it is still a hugely popular online game and I personally love to still play it even today in 2007 when we have next gen systems like the 360.
Xbox 360 games by nature have to be online compatable so it would be a huge loss to offer online play on 360 and not on pc.

Corporal Hicks

So...they've got their own Alien caged up at Gearbox. Feeding it Geareal apparently. I hope he escapes eventually.

Spaghetti

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 10, 2007, 10:05:52 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Corpral_Hicks/aliengear.jpg

So...they've got their own Alien caged up at Gearbox. Feeding it Geareal apparently. I hope he escapes eventually.

heh thats pretty funny. its been a while since anything aliens came out of gearbox. Nice

MrLee

MrLee

will be out for ps3?

cause i intend to get one next year when they are a bit cheaper, i have to play the new GTA and MGS, may aswell add this too

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed