AvPGalaxy's Least Favourite Movie

Started by War Wager, Apr 22, 2008, 04:29:38 PM

Which is your least fave movie of the whole franchise?

Predator
6 (1%)
Predator 2
15 (2.6%)
AvP: Alien vs. Predator
51 (8.8%)
AvPR: Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem
270 (46.6%)
Alien
9 (1.6%)
Aliens
7 (1.2%)
AlienĀ³
37 (6.4%)
Alien Resurrection
102 (17.6%)
Predators
12 (2.1%)
Prometheus
25 (4.3%)
Alien Covenant
12 (2.1%)
The Predator
34 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 560

Author
AvPGalaxy's Least Favourite Movie (Read 237,451 times)

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 06, 2012, 02:32:08 PM
Quote from: Vecrotus on Aug 06, 2012, 02:14:47 PM
Quote from: AcidGlow on Jul 28, 2012, 03:57:44 AM
AvP! So little action.. and preds got destroyed. If I wanted a documentary on Pyramids.. I'll watch the Discovery channel. I enjoyed AVP Requiem alot more. I wanted to see cockroaches get squashed, blasted and sliced up by a good pred =)

I agree, the Predators were poorly treated in AvP. It was good to see the Predators kick ass in AvPR. I still prefer AvP over AvPR though.

But both films featured the main Predator (Scar, Wolf) "kicking ass". Only difference is that the Aliens that Scar killed were actually portrayed as a legitimate threat. And I have to say, Celtic and Chopper, despite having quick deaths, were treated a lot better that the Predators at the beginning of AVPR.

Scar only kicked ass in two brief scenes. The first time is when he sliced the head of the alien that was sneaking up on him with his shuriken, and second was when he finally got his plasma caster. The rest of time Scar either got his ass kicked or had help from Lex.

As for the Predators at the start of AvPR, they were totally unprepared for combat unlike Celtic and Chopper. It was completely understandable that they would be beaten so easily. Plus what beat those Predators was a PredAlien; a much bigger and more powerful threat than a regular Alien.

Nightmare Asylum

Eh, I'm not exactly fond of the idea of a Predalien being so much "bigger and more of a threat", personally. It is just another Alien (a species that is already very strong an intimidating) that just happens to have been spawned from a different host.

And, about Scar, sure he had help at some points, but during his scenes alone and the scenes where he required aid, he was at least smart in how he took the Aliens on. Not once did he, say, grab two Aliens by the throat; that would have surely ended in his death (one of them would have been bound to stab him with the tail). That kind of stuff worked for Wolf only because the writing allowed it to.

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 06, 2012, 02:44:34 PM
Eh, I'm not exactly fond of the idea of a Predalien being so much "bigger and more of a threat", personally. It is just another Alien (a species that is already very strong an intimidating) that just happens to have been spawned from a different host.

And, about Scar, sure he had help at some points, but during his scenes alone and the scenes where he required aid, he was at least smart in how he took the Aliens on. Not once did he, say, grab two Aliens by the throat; that would have surely ended in his death (one of them would have been bound to stab him with the tail). That kind of stuff worked for Wolf only because the writing allowed it to.

I do agree that AvPR showed the Predators dominance over the aliens in some stupid ways but I thought that the direction that they were going in was much better suited to the concept of Aliens versus Predator. The Predator should be the better fighter.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Depends on the situation, really. The Predator may have better strategy and tactics, but in a one-on-one fight, I'd put my money on the Alien. Both monsters are extremely well adept at using their surroundings to their advantage, and the Predator could certainly win battle from afar, but once the Aliens have a little bit of time to settle in, I'd say its game over Predators.

That's why I really loved Ripley's quest to stop the Aliens from reaching Earth and falling into the hands of Weyland Yutani, and I loved the whole "they must not reach the surface" theme in AVP. Even when properly contained, the Aliens really are a force to be reckoned with (as demonstrated in Alien Resurrection, Alien vs Predator, and even Prometheus when the Aliens (or, in Prometheus' case, creatures that "share Alien DNA" [literally or otherwise] break loose). AVPR broke that whole motif that had run strong in every Alien related film released before and after it; AVPR had Aliens on the surface (in a modern day town, even), and quite frankly, they sat around and did nothing.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

They infected a hospital and made the sewers their home. I wouldn't exactly call that nothing.

delsaber8

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 06, 2012, 09:09:12 PM
They infected a hospital and made the sewers their home. I wouldn't exactly call that nothing.
Compared to what they could have done, like spread down the countryside and infest other nearby cities. Nope they hang around and die as canon fodder for wolf, or pizza delivery boys. The scene that makes me cringe (I believe it's in the extended cut or something) where the alien in the pool is crouched there head biting that dead guy, only to have wolf come behind him and stab him through the head with the spear. He doesn't "eat" the dead human, hidden away somewhere, the way Kane's son, carries his victims off into the air shafts and vents. Nope, the xeno sits there in plain sight and doesn't notice wolf who precedes to kill him.

Nightmare Asylum

The way the past five films played it up, one would expect an Alien hive on Earth to do a lot more than hang out in sewers and attack a hospital. I mean, it took less Aliens than that to wipe out a ship with armed soldiers in Alien Resurrection, and even the flashback scene in AVP showed us just how bad it would be if the creatures reached the surafce again. One would expect that, with all the potential hosts available on Earth (in a town, nontheless), they would spread like wildfire. Especially with access to such tactics as eggbarfing.

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 07, 2012, 02:42:52 AM

The way the past five films played it up, one would expect an Alien hive on Earth to do a lot more than hang out in sewers and attack a hospital. I mean, it took less Aliens than that to wipe out a ship with armed soldiers in Alien Resurrection, and even the flashback scene in AVP showed us just how bad it would be if the creatures reached the surafce again. One would expect that, with all the potential hosts available on Earth (in a town, nontheless), they would spread like wildfire. Especially with access to such tactics as eggbarfing.

But the aliens in Alien Resurrection were not regular aliens; they had been genetically modified with increased intelligence. As great as the flashback was in AvP, it wasn't true because it wasn't really a flashback, it was an exaggerated interpretation of an event that may have happened perhaps only once.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Vecrotus on Aug 07, 2012, 08:48:51 AM
But the aliens in Alien Resurrection were not regular aliens; they had been genetically modified with increased intelligence.
Because cutting the power of a specific section of a colony is oh so really stupid.

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 07, 2012, 10:47:58 AM
Quote from: Vecrotus on Aug 07, 2012, 08:48:51 AM
But the aliens in Alien Resurrection were not regular aliens; they had been genetically modified with increased intelligence.
Because cutting the power of a specific section of a colony is oh so really stupid.

I never said the regular aliens were stupid, I said that the aliens from Alien: Resurrection were abnormally intelligent.

Compared to some of the things that the aliens in Alien: Resurrection did, such as killing one of their own to burn the floor to their cages, what the aliens in Aliens did by cutting of the power to one section of a colony is simple especially when you take other factors into consideration. The intelligence of the aliens from Alien: Resurrection is even more heightened when you take into account that they had only been alive for a few days maybe a week before they escaped whereas the aliens in Aliens had been alive for longer period of time. They had plenty of time to learn and understand their environment. On top of that, the aliens in Aliens were being directed by a Queen. The aliens in Alien: Resurrection were working on their own onscreen, at least until they escaped.

Nightmare Asylum

Are you saying that the Aliens in AR had heightened intelligence because their DNA is mixed with that of humans? Because I never really understood that to be the case. They were as smart and cunning as all of the Aliens we saw before them. And I wouldn't say that having a Queen around to direct them makes them any more or less smart. In all four Alien films and in AVP they remained fairly consistent in that regard.

Oh, and about the flashback, whether its actually something that happened once or made up for purposes of explaining the importance of keeping the Aliens off the surface, that really doesn't matter. Either way, its an accurate portrayal of what would happen if the Aliens ever broke loose and weren't cleaned up in time. I mean, in Aliens the hive took out all of Hadley's Hope (minus one little girl who was hiding) in a very short period of time. And in Alien, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection, despite the fact that they weren't really working towards making a hive, it took far less Aliens to bring the population of the facilities they inhabited down to almost nothing. One would think that, on Earth with all of those potential hosts (human or otherwise) the Aliens would take over a good portion of the land at least. To make matters worse, Chet was supposedly a Queen, and she could "eggbarf"...but instead the Aliens chose to hang around in the sewers.

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 07, 2012, 02:48:58 PM
Are you saying that the Aliens in AR had heightened intelligence because their DNA is mixed with that of humans? Because I never really understood that to be the case. They were as smart and cunning as all of the Aliens we saw before them. And I wouldn't say that having a Queen around to direct them makes them any more or less smart. In all four Alien films and in AVP they remained fairly consistent in that regard.

Yes, I am saying that the Aliens in AR had heightened intelligence because their DNA was mixed with that of humans. The aliens could have genetically inherited the memories of Ripley, thereby allowing them to think more like humans.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 07, 2012, 02:48:58 PM
Oh, and about the flashback, whether its actually something that happened once or made up for purposes of explaining the importance of keeping the Aliens off the surface, that really doesn't matter. Either way, its an accurate portrayal of what would happen if the Aliens ever broke loose and weren't cleaned up in time. I mean, in Aliens the hive took out all of Hadley's Hope (minus one little girl who was hiding) in a very short period of time. And in Alien, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection, despite the fact that they weren't really working towards making a hive, it took far less Aliens to bring the population of the facilities they inhabited down to almost nothing. One would think that, on Earth with all of those potential hosts (human or otherwise) the Aliens would take over a good portion of the land at least. To make matters worse, Chet was supposedly a Queen, and she could "eggbarf"...but instead the Aliens chose to hang around in the sewers.

Like you said Chet was a Queen, and if that is the case, then perhaps the aliens chose to hang around in the sewers until Chet either matured into a fully grown PredQueen or until the number of aliens in Chet's hive had grown to effective numbers.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Vecrotus on Aug 07, 2012, 09:00:24 PM
Like you said Chet was a Queen, and if that is the case, then perhaps the aliens chose to hang around in the sewers until Chet either matured into a fully grown PredQueen or until the number of aliens in Chet's hive had grown to effective numbers.

In which case, why would Chet put herself in danger by going to the hospital? She should have hung around in the sewers with what Aliens she had until she matured, and could have sent them out to retrieve hosts to bring to her, like the Aliens have been doing since we were first introduced to the hive in Aliens. In Aliens and AVP, the Queen only became a physical threat once her hive was destroyed. In AVPR, she put herself in harms way before really giving the hive a chance.

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 07, 2012, 09:04:56 PM
Quote from: Vecrotus on Aug 07, 2012, 09:00:24 PM

In which case, why would Chet put herself in danger by going to the hospital? She should have hung around in the sewers with what Aliens she had until she matured, and could have sent them out to retrieve hosts to bring to her, like the Aliens have been doing since we were first introduced to the hive in Aliens. In Aliens and AVP, the Queen only became a physical threat once her hive was destroyed. In AVPR, she put herself in harms way before really giving the hive a chance.

Chet had no choice. Wolf had invaded her home, killed most of her guard, and turned her place inside out. Like you said in an earlier post, the aliens are smart and cunning, so the smart thing to do would be to leave, because even if Chet and the remaining aliens managed to kill Wolf, they would be still at risk.

Nightmare Asylum

OK, there might be a bit of logic there, but that still doesn't explain why the Aliens were unable to simply stab Wolf with their tail when he had the two of them by the neck. Or why Wolf would be stupid enough to pick them up by the neck in the first place. Or why the acid only worked when the scene called for it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed