All Star Wars

Started by CELTICPRED, Dec 13, 2006, 05:23:55 AM

Author
All Star Wars (Read 2,936,168 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Oh boy the entire first order is incompetent but it only exist as a plot device. I mean shit, the one thing I hate about these new star wars movies is the video game like side quest/achievement unlocked nonsense. Which was the entire Finn and Rose arc. The dreadnought and cannon bits are also too reminiscent of mini bosses. This is something I wish they would remove from Star Wars. I feel video games should come from the movie and not be the movie so to speak...

Nothing there is really a spoiler, right. Although I must admit that I didn't mind the Finn :-* Rose side quest to be honest. I think it served it's purpose quite well.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Oh man, TFA was really bad and Rogue One was so lame, it made TFA seem good (it isn't though). I think I honestly do prefer Lucas prequels over this, at least the have some vision and creativity, they had their moments and unlike TFA/RO required some brain activity from the viewer. Not seen TLJ yet, but reading some of the comments here suggesting it's somehow noticeably worse than TFA is depressing. Rotten Tomatoes score for both TFA and TLJ is 93% while Rogue One is 85%, that is ridiculous. This makes me fear for the Alien franchise, what if Disney makes Scott prequels seem good, but then the film would have to be laughably bad  :-[   not seen TLJ yet, maybe it's gud after all.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

A few corny parts toward the beginning had me a bit worried, but once it really got going, I was very impressed.

I'm seeing all sorts of nitpicks.  I agree with some, (which would be spoilers to address), but overall, I loved the writing and the story.  I love how it repeatedly defied expectations without getting unbelievable or stupid.

I'm weirdly not anxious for the next film because this one left me feeling so satisfied.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

BTW: did anyone else notice that Rey...
Spoiler
stole the Journal of the Whills before Yoda burned them to the ground. At the end of the movie, on the Millennium Falcon I'm sure I saw the book tucked away underneath some stuff.
[close]

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 16, 2017, 10:12:40 AM
Spoiler
stole the Journal of the Whills before Yoda burned them to the ground. At the end of the movie, on the Millennium Falcon I'm sure I saw the book tucked away underneath some stuff.
[close]

I noticed. My son didn't. It's tricky.

There were several viewer comments about that discussing the HelloGreedo spoilers review on YouTube.
(BTW, I don't agree with several things in this review. But overall it fits with my conclusion about "TLJ"; a good 8/10 SW film where sometimes the story loses its focus.)

;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BH7GmkvXfl8

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

Quote from: razeak on Dec 16, 2017, 06:45:10 AM
Worst of the series Imo. I'm literally shocked. Choppy editing, poor plot, oddball decisions, bad acting from the newcomers, dumb dialogue, pointless exposition, Star trek problem solving, and the blue milk scene. HOLY WTF.
Agreed.

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

Quote from: razeak on Dec 16, 2017, 06:45:10 AM
Worst of the series Imo. I'm literally shocked. Choppy editing, poor plot, oddball decisions, bad acting from the newcomers, dumb dialogue, pointless exposition, Star trek problem solving, and the blue milk scene. HOLY WTF.

Thank you. That film genuinely pissed me off.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 16, 2017, 02:44:10 PM
Spoiler
[close]

There were several viewer comments about that discussing the HelloGreedo spoilers review on YouTube.
(BTW, I don't agree with several things in this review. But overall it fits with my conclusion about "TLJ"; a good 8/10 SW film where sometimes the story loses its focus.)

;)

Yea that's close to how I feel about the film too. However I wonder if the Canto Bight scene is a thorn in many sides because of the political satire and reality of life it demonstrates. For major fanboys it hearkens back to the political theme(pain) of the PT while for many other's, their acceptance of utterly wrong political opinions. DJ or "Don't Join" either side is a pretty obvious connotation to the US political environment. By which would make DJ a libertarian which is the cruelest of all. btw DJ is the code breaker, the guy played by Del Toro.

In short, I think it was meant more as an education. Although war and suffering will always exist; it seems obvious that it's most strong under evil leadership. Those who shut off their mind only to glorify themselves are sad creatures. So DJ will probably be the real character that will be turned to the "good side" in episode nine, not kylo. Shit, short of how Han Solo came to Lukes rescue in A New Hope. Disney would do it.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 16, 2017, 07:53:02 PM
Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 16, 2017, 02:44:10 PM
Spoiler
[close]

;)

Yea that's close to how I feel about the film too. However I wonder if the Canto Bight scene is a thorn in many sides because of the political satire and reality of life it demonstrates. For major fanboys it hearkens back to the political theme(pain) of the PT while for many other's, their acceptance of utterly wrong political opinions...

"TLJ" was preachy sometimes.
- That reminded me of moments in "Phantom Menace" about slavery. Or the warning in the sports bar scene from "Attack of the Clones" about not smoking.
- And overall the PT has moments about politics and war which can be interpreted as referencing the US foreign policy political situation in the early 2000s.   

As for specifics of "TLJ", there is plenty to talk about, but I'll wait a while to give more people a chance to see the film.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 16, 2017, 07:53:02 PM
In short, I think it was meant more as an education. Although war and suffering will always exist; it seems obvious that it's most strong under evil leadership. Those who shut off their mind only to glorify themselves are sad creatures.

Overall, that is clearly one of the main themes in the original trilogy. Evil can lead to all sorts of abuse including genocide.
The OT pushes the moral message of the Jedi religion which in those movies has a lot of teachings about being spiritual and giving.
It is the PT after Qui-Gon's death where the Jedi Council's mission gradually become ineffective, confused and their message often becomes muddled. 

;)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 16, 2017, 07:53:02 PMHowever I wonder if the Canto Bight scene is a thorn in many sides because of the political satire and reality of life it demonstrates. For major fanboys it hearkens back to the political theme(pain) of the PT while for many other's, their acceptance of utterly wrong political opinions. DJ or "Don't Join" either side is a pretty obvious connotation to the US political environment. By which would make DJ a libertarian which is the cruelest of all. btw DJ is the code breaker, the guy played by Del Toro.

In short, I think it was meant more as an education. Although war and suffering will always exist; it seems obvious that it's most strong under evil leadership. Those who shut off their mind only to glorify themselves are sad creatures. So DJ will probably be the real character that will be turned to the "good side" in episode nine, not kylo. Shit, short of how Han Solo came to Lukes rescue in A New Hope. Disney would do it.

Huh, that's some interesting analysis. I didn't like Del Toro's performance, or that section of the film in general because it ends up feeling extraneous to the narrative, but that's a cool dimension to it that I hadn't considered. Definitely very relevant right now.

frenchfries

frenchfries

I actually really enjoyed this movie, but i can totally see why people would hate it. I'm still a little conflicted with some of the luke stuff but man oh man that battle in snokes throne room may be one of my favorite star wars moments ever.

Gate

Gate

This film was not what I was expecting and not what I wanted, but it was so wonderfully done that I came to love it by the last scene.

Oh, except for the fact that they

Spoiler
KILLED ADMIRAL ACKBAR???
[close]

SM

SM

Spoiler
They killed nearly everyone.  Many supporting Resistance characters from TFA didn't even rate a mention - the only one I can think of is Billie Lourd's character.
[close]

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Spoiler
OMG What about Wedge? They didn't kill him off too did they?
[close]

Quote from: Gate on Dec 16, 2017, 09:59:46 PM
This film was not what I was expecting and not what I wanted, but it was so wonderfully done that I came to love it by the last scene.

Spoiler
KILLED ADMIRAL ACKBAR???
[close]
They didn't even give him a cool one liner either.
Spoiler
Heck he should have been the one to crash the ship in light speed.
[close]
:P

SM

SM

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 16, 2017, 10:39:24 PM
Spoiler
OMG What about Wedge? They didn't kill him off too did they?
[close]

Quote from: Gate on Dec 16, 2017, 09:59:46 PM

Spoiler
KILLED ADMIRAL ACKBAR???
[close]
They didn't even give him a cool one liner either.
Spoiler
Heck he should have been the one to crash the ship in light speed.
[close]
:P

Spoiler
Wedge is probably hanging out somewhere with Lando.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed