Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics!

Started by Secret Hero, Mar 07, 2008, 07:25:42 PM

Author
Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics! (Read 277,488 times)

Shasvre

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 10, 2012, 05:36:07 AMBilly sending spies (who really are the most fragile looking nerds) to the local arcade named "Funspot" (which is owned by well known people in the video-arcade businesses) to check up on Billy's score and checking for any tampering had me in tears with laughter, as these "spies" are some of the smarmiest, serious, weasels I've ever seen.

Flynn? ;D

Will check this out though, it does sounds great.

Hubbs

Salem's Lot (1979)

Now a pretty ancient vampire film and it certainly looks its age these days, made one year after I was born and I've only just got round to seeing it :)

Adaptation of a well known King novel of which I saw the film version which is simply all the episodes of the mini TV series stuck together into one movie. As said this was originally a TV series and you can see how it has been put together for this film version but that doesn't detract really, it kinda adds a little charm to the proceedings. Its not terribly scary by today's standards but there is a nice spooky atmosphere throughout which feels good on a cold dark rainy night.

Its a slow slow burner that's for sure, I must admit I was getting really quite bored in places as the film is three hours long and there's allot of dialog all the way through, not much vampire action to be honest. What action there is is now quite quaint and harmless really, not much blood on show and some pretty amusing melodramatic acting as people fall foul of Kurt Barlow, but the makeup is still very good, especially the eyes of the vampires.

The film is well made and a good adaptation I think as it does seem encompass allot from the original source, I haven't read the novel but there is a heck of allot of info packed into the plot with good backstories and character development.

Must mention the legend James Mason here as his calm gentlemanly demeanor accompanied by his smooth, eloquent, perfectly pronounced voice works wonders for the evil vampires right hand man, Hopkins and Price eat your heart out hehe.

A curious addition to vampire lore which is slightly dull but altogether well crafted, the look of the main vampire obviously has been designed after the classic 'Nosferatu' look but in turn you can see how many future vampire films have also used this style and look.

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Laufey on Jan 10, 2012, 12:34:49 PM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 10, 2012, 05:36:07 AMBilly sending spies (who really are the most fragile looking nerds) to the local arcade named "Funspot" (which is owned by well known people in the video-arcade businesses) to check up on Billy's score and checking for any tampering had me in tears with laughter, as these "spies" are some of the smarmiest, serious, weasels I've ever seen.

Flynn? ;D
Pretty much.  :laugh:

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Friday the 13th  (1980)
A camp in New Jersey named Camp Crystal Lake is being re-opened after a run of bad luck which included bad water, several fires, a drowning and two unsolved murders. As several future counselors try to get the place in shape, they fail to notice that an unexpected guest has arrived, and they begin to get murdered horribly one by one. Just who, or what, is responsible?
   Acting wise, this film is average. There is nothing really cringe worthy here, but there are a few standouts here and there. Kevin Bacon obviously showed some promise at this early age and it is a shame he didn't get more screen time before his now famous departure. Laurie Bartram as Brenda actually seems to have a nice strong personality that I liked a great deal. Other cast members do decent enough jobs so you are never taken out of the action. Adrienne King as Alice, our heroine is actually pretty nice. No Jamie Lee Curtis mind you, but still pretty nice. She conveys a feeling of terror quite well, and when she is being tormented, you buy it. The real standout in this film is Betsy Palmer. I love this woman. I really freaking love her. She has to be one of my favorite villains of all time, possibly even more than her protégé. What is nice about Palmer is this is against type for her and then some. She was primarily known for the film Mister Roberts and the TV series I've Got a Secret. This past of hers as the woman next door was probably the reason there was so much backlash against her for this film, despite it actually being one of her best performances. You heard me right. Betsy Palmer is fantastic in this film. She is genuinely frightening as a character. When you first meet her, it is all smiles. She is actually a comforting presence, but once she gets into her monologue, you know something is amiss. Her monologue before the big reveal is thick with atmosphere, and it is due in no small part to her performance. When she finally goes ape shit, oh boy does she go ape shit. She can turn it on and off like that. One of her creepiest talents is one that has been mocked many times. Speaking to herself in the voice of a child who she claims to be her dead son. "Kill her mommy. Kill her." Every time she says that I crap my pants. From a sweet middle aged woman to a mad rage powered animal, Palmer never got the chops she deserved for this film. Getting nominated for a Razzie here was just plain wrong and I attribute that more towards "oh, she played a nice lady before so she can't play a mean lady." Not as bad as nominating the score for The Thing though.
   More so than any of the sequels, this film takes advantage of the wooded setting. It is beautiful. Nice peaceful creeks, thick and green forest, beautiful shining lakes and cozy wooden cabins. While it is beautiful, you do get the feeling of isolation. The woods are thick and hard to navigate, the lake is a formidable obstacle, and the cabins offer little protection from the intruder in your midst. The camp itself is used very nicely. Rather than the mad spree seen in subsequent Friday films, this one has a meticulous one by one trimming of the cast, and the camp is the perfect place to do it. The buildings are far apart and there are a host of places to stash a body, and you as the viewer know this. Damn it this camp is just plain creepy. Once that storm rolls in you know you are in for some serious shit, and the good kind of shit. The cabins are used very well in my favorite part of any slasher film, the chase scene. The chase scene is where that one surviving character, usually a very attractive and likable woman, has to face down the killer alone, but not before getting her cardio up. In this film, the chase scene is more of a twisted game of hide and seek. There is not a lot of running, but there is a lot of hiding in closets, locking doors and waiting for the right moment to strike type things going on. It really doesn't reach a visceral level till the final round, which I actually like. Instead, it makes very good use of the camp itself. You follow our final girl around as you await the next time ol killer lady will come out. It is exploited to its fullest.
   Before the big reveal, the villain of the film is done much better than any other Friday film. Jason was a hulking monstrosity that grunted, groaned, and the like. Here, the killer is like a phantom, walking in and out of buildings unseen, waiting to pounce from the dark shadows. All you see are creeping feet and the occasional hand, but even that is when the film is being generous. Usually you don't see anything at all, almost like the weapons are doing all the dirty work on their own. Though not quite as effective as Halloween, this does make the killer an un-personified force, but it ultimately seems less human in these segments which is why I like it. Any corner could hide them, any breath of wind could be them, any thud could be your doom. That is what works in this film. An unseen, unknown thing that walks among you, and is waiting for the opportunity to strike. The sequels lost that and they lost it fast. The last one that even attempted the same approach was Part 4, and by then the series was already getting tired.
   Writing wise, the film is fine. Before the meat of the matter gets started, it plays out like a typical semi comedic coming of age film. The cast in the film is actually pretty likable and they do stand out as individuals, unlike the sequels where they became indistinguishable fodder for the killer. There is some cringe worthy dialogue, mostly from camp prankster Ned, but I write that off as an asshole who thinks he is funny but really isn't. There are some memorable lines, mostly from Palmer's character. There is some attention done to characterization in the first part of the film, which ultimately makes the main body more frightening and more nasty. Despite being average in the writing department, I actually cared whether these characters lived or died. I didn't want them there for a nice effects shot like all the ones in Friday's to come would be.
   The effects in this film are astonishing. It starts off pretty basic with blood coming from the belly. You could do that with a water balloon. Once we get to our first throat slitting on the other hand, things change. We get arrows through necks, axes to faces, arrows in eyes, decapitations. Very grisly stuff, and all done by master make-up artist Tom Savini. Friday still remains one of his claims to fame, and it really is some of his best work. Unlike stuff like The Prowler or The Burning, the stuff in here is very simple and not elaborate, which ultimately sells the effect even better. His stuff in Friday 4 seemed too over the top to be real, while this stuff is gruesome but grounded in what the average human could conceivably do to another one. His makeup on Ari Lehman as Jason is very well done. You only see him in the dark and for a brief moment at the end, but he really does sell the deformaties the character has come to be known for. It just goes to show that Savini can also create a new character and not just kill the old ones off.
   What disappoints me about this film is that the cinematography and editing really are average. There is really no exciting shots in the film or well edited sequences, which makes it come across as rather amateurish, which it sort of is. I feel that had the filmmakers really looked at Halloween, they would have seen it was not just telling a simple hack n slash tale, but it was doing it with an artistic eye, which is one of the reasons the film has endured. Here it just kind of felt like point and show stuff, which while it may be the basic purpose of a film, is not the way to make a great one.  There is one scene however that does everything right, and that is one of the greatest scares in movie history.
Spoiler
After Palmer has been dispatched by our heroine, she sets herself adrift in a canoe and waits for the police to arrive in the morning. When they do, she breathes a sigh of relief. However, the decaying body of the child Jason jumps out of the water and pulls her in without warning. I did NOT see that coming when I first saw the film and I jumped out of my skin. I should have seen that one coming because I knew what a jump scare was. The shots of the lake are breathtaking, the editing is spot on to create the right mood, it just works so damned good. Why couldn't the rest of the film be like this? It is like a commercial for perfume where all hell breaks loose in the last few seconds. Its purpose is to get you to relaxe before it gives you that jolt. This was taken from Carrie, but it was done just as well here.
[close]
   The ability of this film to actually frighten on the other hand is another story. I actually still get spooked out by this movie, and I don't spook easily. There are some brilliantly unsettling moments here as our phantom killer stalks the shadows, waiting for the next unlucky acting hopeful to wander too close. Probably the most effective of such moments involves the above mentioned Laurie Bartram, as Brenda. After leaving the main cabin, she enters the camps bathroom and shower building, which is here another cast member quite literally got the axe earlier. She brushes her teeth while humming, unaware she is being watched. In a nearby shower stall, from the shadows, there is someone there. The young woman is oblivious as a hand reaches out from behind a curtain, gently pushes it aside, and vanishes back into the blackness. She seems to feel something is amiss but she leaves, writing it off. Returning to the stall, the curtain is now completely ajar and the light fixture about it is swinging gently. Whoever was there, they just followed Benda out. This moment really is nicely executed, and is one of the few times the film truly shines in editing and cinematography. The shot of that shower stall alone induces shudders because you know damned well that someone is there, and there is also most likely a dead body there too. Friday the 13th is packed with several such moments, though they do at times feel spread a bit too thin. Had the film focused more on such ominous creepy moments, it probably would have been better received by critics. Instead, they focused on the gore and tits, and there isn't even that much tits. But this film really does get that spooky on. When I first viewed it at age 14, I really felt like it was a re-visitation of a classic campfire spook tale, so I got nostalgia along with my scares.
   Ki Ki Ki Ki Ma Ma Ma Ma. Lets talk music. Harry Manfredini has made so much mad dollars off of that one riff, which has become the one unchanging element in the series, but what about the other music? Well, it is acutally pretty good. I recognize it the moment I hear it, and it doesn't even have to include the classic riff. This movie owes a lot to its pretty effective score. Granted, it is no Halloween score, even though this film had a larger budget so they were able to get more resources together and actually hire somebody. What I like about this score is it is quite a classical sounding piece. There is a great usage of violins and harps, as well as the occasional bell. There are lots of jolty noises that you can almost feel in your body. Halloween, while its score is better, never created a sense of physical discomfort, which is one of the reasons I like this music so much. It actually feels violent, like a stab or a slash. The whole Ki Ma thing was just icing on the cake. My thoughts on that? Well, I actually quite like the Ki Ma riff, which was done to reflect the schizophrenic nature of the film's antagonist. Kill Mom. Ki Ma. Perhaps a bit obvious, but still spooky. I still catch myself doing it every now and then.
   Sean Cunningham is defiantly not a great director, though this film has set him for life. It might interest one to know that Cunningham actually made this film to finance a television series based on a children's film he did called Here Come the Tigers. Cunningham's dream was to make a career in such films, and while Friday the 13th gave him a nice house and put food on the table, it pretty much killed that dream because he was never approached to do anything other than horror films again. Don't you just hate it when that happens? Even Roger Ebert, who passionately (and I might argue bordering on irrationally) hates this film described Cunningham as an intelligent man who was victimized by the success of this series, which Cunningham will agree with in a certain way. I am not sure if this film qualifies as a great work. I would argue it does, but just barely. Even then I would be in a minority. Cunningham sadly never had a career, and he might have turned out something pretty special. This film, despite the reputation it has, shows real promise.
   Sequels and how they relate to this film. Like Halloween, the sequels were done for the dollars and not for the scares. In that light, they are not as strong. The sequels to this film have the odd reputation of outshining the original, even though they are inferior examples of film. It was they who started many of the clichés associated with this series, like sex and drugs equals death. Do you know that the heroine in this film puffs a joint? Granted she got killed in the sequel but she survived this one so it still counts. Jason just wasn't as scary as ol Betsy, at least not after part II. Though I love parts II through IV very much, they are just not as good as this one is. They are too out there, too imaginative in their dispatching methods, focus too much ON the dispatching methods and really only perfected the chase scene, which should be the highlight of any slasher film. The final chases of those three films are really the only parts that show cinematic skill. Everything else is just filler for film and filler for graves until that final 20 minutes gets started. I want a scary movie, not an effects show. This was a scary movie.
   So yes. I like Friday the 13th. I would call it a guilty pleasure, but I feel this is a legitimately underrated horror film. The sequels are very overhyped, what with everyone talking about how cool Jason is. If it isn't scary, it isn't working, and that is coming from a modest fan of those films. The incredibly silly nature of those films also seems to have rubbed off on this modest little stalk n slash chiller, which is pretty damn sad. I feel that the main weaknesses of Friday the 13th are that it focuses too much on being short and to the point. The plot is already simple enough. What could have sold this film better was it being done in style, something the filmmakers had the resources to do, as evident by the skill in which the final jump was done. In spite of my criticism for this movie, I do feel it deserves a place of true honor, and not because of the clichés it set. As a film on its own merits, it works. Friday the 13th will always hold a special place in my heart.

Hubbs

Scooby Doo (2002)

I saw this on its theatrical release mainly out of morbid curiosity really and even back then it was pretty damn poor. About the only thing they got right in the film is the casting of Lillard for 'Shaggy' who seems to have been born for the role. Rowan Atkinson must have been bribed with tonnes of cash to star in this crap.

The rest of the film is a terrible mess of horrendously bad cgi, unfunny childish humour and some very shoddy effects. The classic creation has been forced into the current age with a hideous modernisation including your obligatory rap/hop hop soundtrack that seems to come with most films these days for some reason alongside so many other god awful scenes it no longer bares much resemblance to the original creation.

I dunno why they couldn't go with a more sensible approach and a slightly more genuine ghost story. The cartoons were silly yes but still reasonably coherent and actually quite spooky for kids, but spooky in an enjoyable way, this film is basically just trash...and since when was 'Scrappy' a bad guy!?

As usual and with so many films these days, stick with the original material.

Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004)

Pretty much the same thing here with more nasty looking cgi and even more terrible looking effects, stunts and obvious stunt doubles. The cast are a little more into the flow with this one though, they gel better and actually come across as 'Mystery Inc.' with more success than the previous film.

There is still very childish fart type humour going on, unsurprisingly, which still isn't required as it wasn't in the original cartoon but on the plus side its nice to see ghosts and spooks from the original cartoon used for the plot, always liked that deep sea diver ghost :)

The inclusion of a nice array of phantoms and ghouls only slightly elevates this above the first film but its still quite awful, again...stick to the original cartoon.

Hubbs

Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior (2003, THAI)

Tony Jaa burst onto the scene with this high octane Muay Thai fighter which really turned my head, a long time fan of good old JCVD I knew of kickboxing and Muay Thai but this film really displayed it properly.

Its a silly film lets be honest, like all fighter action films the plot is childishly basic and revolves around revenge, as they all tend to do. From there on you obviously get many excuses for Jaa to fight many guys who are much bigger and to show his prowess whilst remaining firmly faithful and good to his religion at all times.

The film is slick and well made with decent stunt sequences but its all about Jaa and his abilities which are impressive and very well choreographed. Could of done without the constant cheesy replays at different angles of virtually every little thing Jaa does, but if your a fan of these films you'll be used to that.

Hubbs

Ong Bak 2: The Begining (2008, THAI)

What can I say about this sequel, its actually very good surprisingly, nice idea and well made. Lets just get this straight, this sequel has nothing to do with the original film a tall but its just as good if not a little better than the original film.

This film is set in feudal Siam with a young boy (Jaa) being raised by a group of elite warrior bandits after his parents have been killed and he was captured by slave traders. So again the plot is very basic and revolves around revenge as usual, the film also tends to show Jaa doing his thing all over again accept this time set in ancient times and this time it looks even better.

The various forms of martial arts on display whilst a young Jaa trains and throughout the film is superb, a real MMA film straight out of the wild East. The action sequences are a joy to watch with flashes of colour, blood, fantasy and legend fused with various forms of combat, this film really does put some major Hollywood action films to shame.

Everyone and everything looks highly realistic from sets, hair styles and costumes to weapons and the beautiful locations in native Thailand. Really strong start to the film with a good intro of the warrior assassins but admittedly the film does lose its powerful grip near the end with its rather odd ending due to problems on set during the making.

A glorious mystical feel runs through this film combining genuine history with a lovely dash of artistic license :)

Hubbs

Ong Bak 3: The Final Battle (2010, THAI)

Going slightly off the beaten track with this final fight for Mr Jaa, this third film is beautiful to look at just like the second but its very unusual with a strong spiritual theme.

Following on from where number two left off we see how Tien (Jaa) is supposedly killed but then reincarnated and starts to train himself back to full fighting capacity so he can finish his goal. Its a huge swing from the last two films as much of this film is kind of surreal with strong Buddhist imagery, Jaa being a Buddhist monk himself this film was obviously a chance to give a peek into his religion.

The film isn't overly confusing but its slightly boring for the most part and feels like it just been made with outtakes from the last film, there is also the 'Crow Ghost' character who becomes the new enemy and offers, from a Western point of view, a more fantasy based feel and does look a bit like Lee from 'The Crow'.

In the end it is possible to become tired of seeing Jaa thrash countless men and that it does, the finale is Tien simply kicking the crap outta so many guys it becomes silly and dull, lovely camera work and lovely stunts/moves but by this point we have seen it all before, the novelty has worn off. That is the problem with this film, it feels rushed and like it was never meant to be, its also not really required as it should of finished with the second film.

Hubbs

The Protector (aka Tom-Yum-Goong, The Warrior King, Thai Dragon, Revenge of the Warrior, 2005, THAI)

A much hyped fight film from Muay Thai expert Tony Jaa with many many excellent stunts and chase sequences, the only problem is we have now seen all this before from various other martial arts experts.

The film itself is fine but its not really too original in any aspect, a simple revenge plot as usual and Jaa showing his skills yet again. Its very spectacular but I personally didn't get too engrossed, the most impressive thing about the whole film is the MMA fight sequences, mainly the fight between Jaa and Capoeira fighter Lateef Crowder.

This one fight sequence is the most impressive fight I've seen in years, its fantastic, Crowder is amazing and almost too good to be true with his moves. Add to this the following fight between Wushu expert John Foo and then a one off battle against wrestling strong man Nathan Jones which is impressive merely to see the size differences, think Bruce Lee v Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

To be honest the film is worth seeing for those three fights, apart from that its business as usual with this action film.

Hubbs

Paths of Glory (1957)

Despite being known as a bit of a classic Kubrick's anti war film was not a box office hit at the time of release and was actually frowned upon by various European countries for the portrayal of the military and its negative message towards the establishment in general.

It is clear to see the moral injustice carried out which is the films basis and the theme for the anti war message. The fact that men were shot by their own country for petty charges such as 'cowardice' or less shows really how poorly humans treated each other and at this time how life was cheap, high ranking officials grasping for honours by playing war games with real lives at stake. This of course caused the controversy at the time of release amongst military leaders, the truth stings.

As a film there isn't much better, there are numerous classic war films of the age and this Kubrick offering is up there with the greats. What is impressive, like 'All Quiet on the Western Front, is the trench/nomans land sequences are highly realistic looking with fantastic camera work, a real work of art showing mud, bomb craters and debris set in a barren misty wasteland scattered with bodies and barb wire.

Told from a French point of view of course (WW1 trench warfare against the Germans) but amusingly you wouldn't think it as the cast bare no attempt to sound French with everyone having an American accent, Wayne Morris as the drunken Roget especially with his slightly southern twang, these days that would be more accurate I'm sure.
But no one can dispute the quality of the cast line up with a strong headed Douglas leading the way with fire in his eyes as he tries his best to remain civil against a sly heartless Macready who in turn is trying to butter up the quietly cunning Menjou for promotion. There is added entertainment with a surprisingly good portrayal from Carey as one of the doomed soldiers as he displays some dark gallows humour to the whole affair and lets not forget a young Joe Turkel who will later turn up in cult classic 'Blade Runner'.

The films message is clear and virtually stated by Douglas during the court martial scene and its spot on. Kubrick's adaptation of the Cobb novel is pinpoint and speaks volumes, the fact the whole story is also based on a true event makes it even more poignant.

Ghostface

Quote from: Hubbs on Jan 21, 2012, 10:04:30 PM
The Protector (aka Tom-Yum-Goong, The Warrior King, Thai Dragon, Revenge of the Warrior, 2005, THAI)

A much hyped fight film from Muay Thai expert Tony Jaa with many many excellent stunts and chase sequences, the only problem is we have now seen all this before from various other martial arts experts.

The film itself is fine but its not really too original in any aspect, a simple revenge plot as usual and Jaa showing his skills yet again. Its very spectacular but I personally didn't get too engrossed, the most impressive thing about the whole film is the MMA fight sequences, mainly the fight between Jaa and Capoeira fighter Lateef Crowder.

This one fight sequence is the most impressive fight I've seen in years, its fantastic, Crowder is amazing and almost too good to be true with his moves. Add to this the following fight between Wushu expert John Foo and then a one off battle against wrestling strong man Nathan Jones which is impressive merely to see the size differences, think Bruce Lee v Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

To be honest the film is worth seeing for those three fights, apart from that its business as usual with this action film.

Say whhaaaattttt?

In terms of action, this is better than a lot of martial arts films. And what about the 5 min continuous take up a multileveled restaurant? Shit was proper son!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM2atZfn87M#ws

Hubbs

^ Disagree, the first 'Ong Bak' was better than this, the sequence you speak of just seemed too fake and stupid if you ask me, Jaa's fight against Crowder was pure real time skill plus 'Undisputed 2/3' are still the best fight films I've seen.

SpaceMarines

Yes, but was a small elephant thrown across a room in Ong-Bak?

I rest my case. 8)

Ghostface

The best part of Ong Bak was my old trainer was in it briefly. I prefered Tom Yum Goong personally. Ong Bak 2 and 3 have great action but are horrible stories (not that anyone is paying attention).

Space Sweeper

The Protector had those hilariously retarded outcast side characters that you just couldn't help but want to adopt I mean love.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed