Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics!

Started by Secret Hero, Mar 07, 2008, 07:25:42 PM

Author
Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics! (Read 277,504 times)

Hubbs

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

The only 'Apes' film I have seen is the Burton 're-imagining' and I quite like that version as it was visually stunning and a good fun adventure, this new film right from the start I could tell was gonna be a different animal altogether..no pun intended.

The effects on the apes at first during the character build up and introduction of 'Caesar' was slightly off in my opinion, it was good but not 'wow!' the faces did look abit plastic and too obviously cgi, but as the film progresses and the apes become more aware with Caesar growing in intelligence it seems the cgi gets better as well hehe. By the time Caesar is really plotting his escape and takeover the cgi on his face and whole body movement is really quite impressive. This goes for all the other chimps and apes too especially the gorilla and orangutan which really look fantastic up close along with body motion and hand movements.

The film plot wise is decent and a good ride, it starts slow no doubting that, there is allot of character and story building with the experiments and slow evolution of Caesar, at first I was getting alittle twitchy I must admit but the story does hold you just about and I did find myself really getting into it quite quickly.

Really the human side to the film is rather boring to be honest with Franco and Pinto not really gelling whilst Cox and Lithgow are merely background props (good props I might add) and disappear very quickly but you don't mind, its all about the apes and for most of the run time your just itching for the apes to break free and kick some homosapien ass!
When they do its well worth your money as the finale will get your heart pounding as you cheer for the apes to reach freedom, the damn humans are in the way but luckily we see some great man stomping but with intelligent action.

What was impressive was how Caesar would not let his fellow primates kill humans needlessly, of course afew do bite the dust but if Caesar was around he didn't want it, wether that is to show he has evolved and won't sink to that level or the creators just wanted a family friendly film rating I don't know ;)
The finale is really the cherry on the icing on the cake, a full blown Hominidae rampage through San Francisco with lots of very well realised chimps one gorilla and an orangutan. It is good that the film doesn't resort to lots of guns and masses of apes being killed, there is a small element of that but it doesn't get over blown into silliness which is good to see. One or two moments of Hollywood craziness perhaps like when the gorilla leaps onto the chopper from the Golden gate bridge and the use (again) of that iconic piece of dialog, does that really need to be used again simply because its an 'Apes' film?

One of the best films of the year so far for sure, actually been made with some thought and intelligence behind it, fits in well with the franchise originals, a solid musical score to emit emotion and heights of achievement and has a good ending, albeit slightly going for a roaring iconic '2001: Space Odyssey' grandiose type ending :) kinda does it too.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Freaked (1993)

Totally insane, off the wall surreal comedy fantasy which is also a total spoof and not to be watched if your expecting anything remotely sensible haha.

Alex Winter of 'Bill n Ted' fame is the main lead in this but for the most part he is cover in some tremendous prosthetics/makeup which look both effective and kinda daft at the same time. He is joined by quite a motley crew of character actors such as Randy Quaid, Bobcat Goldthwait, Mr T, William Sadler, Brook Shields and a cameo from Sam Raimi, watch out for Keanu Reeves in an uncredited role as 'Dog Boy'.

The plot is utterly crazy and involves toxic waste hence lots of monsters and bizarre mutants, each and every mutant character is well created and range from something simply like a guy farting allot to a guy that has a sock puppet for a head :) you see how weird this is.

All I can say is its a wild trip with tonnes of great makeup, wacky ideas and very little sense, almost like an old MTV music video.

Dick Tracy (1990)

Based on the hugely popular comicstrip from the 30's Tracy was merely a regular tough guy cop of the era that fought hoods, the main difference that made him so popular was the oddball mutant-like villains that he was up against which were pretty much like extreme caricatures.

Almost like a fantasy version of 'The Untouchables' the film has an obvious plot with good guy cops, bad guy villains, beautiful dames in nightclubs, lots of dimly lit offices highlighted by neon lights streaking in between the drawn blinds, fedora hats aplenty, tommy guns and sharp suits.
The film is also made in a highly inventive way, making everything look like a real comicstrip (very much like 'Sin City') using only the same few colours used in the original comicstrip and with lots of matte paintings and models. It looks very impressive even today with the neon selected colour palette, abit dark at times but its very effective and could be mistaken for cgi at times.

Add to that some fantastic costumes with highly colourised suits and pinstripes, all buildings in and out are coloured the same, a nice use of classic old cars as they zoom around and of course the tommy gun makes it all come together when when you see Beatty in a full shot firing it decked out with trenchcoat and fedora.

The film is very reminiscent of Burtons Batman of course and this might be to do with Danny Elfman creating the musical score, its excellent as usual but maybe abit too close to Batman in all honesty. The whole film does have that Dark Knight feel about it, the classic 'Shadow' type vibe which is to be expected but it still stands well on its own.
Like the comicstrip the hoods are one attraction with all the varieties of facial deformities on show, the makeup is really well done on all bad guys it just makes you wish there were more of them. Nice casting for all the hoods and policemen but the inclusion of Madonna wasn't required and should of gone to a proper actress and I firmly believe Sean Young would have made a better 'Tess Truehart', Young was the original choice.

Very stylish fun flick which is also a decent homage to the original material surprisingly, one of the better adaptations that has made been over the years which is just about the right level of violence and camp 60's Batman and Robin type action.

Hubbs

Into the Night (1985)

Odd combination of Jeff Goldblum, a depressed insomniac whose life is dull, uneventful and his wife is cheating on him, the other person being Michelle Pfeiffer who is a jewel smuggler and has some Iranians after her for some precious stones. The mismatched pair bump into each other, make friends and have to run from the nasty Iranians which leads to all manner of scrapes and tight situations none of which are particularly exciting or original.

The film is really quite dull much like Goldblum's performance and doesn't offer anything other than an impressive list of cameos, why? beats me. Pfeiffer and Goldblum don't blend a tall, the action is weak, its naturally very very dated and director Landis is one of the Iranian agents in (I think) his only full movie role.

Trainspotting (1996)

Probably the first British film to hit the bigtime after 'Four Weddings' and boy does it! talk about in your face. I've never read the book so I have no idea how it compares but the film seems to have been accepted pretty well with no complaints. When I first saw this film I really didn't like it to be honest, it was bleak and kinda depressing plus I was young, naive about drugs and unsure of the films presentation and style.

After watching recently I must admit I do enjoy the dark gallows type humour with sickening visuals, it does seem to engage and hold your attention very well, much like a car wreck, you don't wanna look yet you can't turn away hehe.

The cast really make the film what it is basically, the direction by Boyle is impressive and he knows what he wants looks wise but the main leads are terrific in their performances as they repulse you and charm you. McGregor is superb as 'Renton' and looks wonderfully pale, skinny and gaunt yet also makes the 'heroin look' kinda cool at the same time, a cult character and look for sure in cinematic history. After that Carlyle as 'Begbie' is much like a new Pesci with his small slim frame and wildfire rage from within that is both amusing and scary, Miller as 'Sickboy' is probably the funniest of the bunch with his natty Connery impressions and lastly Bremner as 'Spud' fits the druggie bunch perfectly with his 'Jack Skellington' profile and whip fast speech that is probably the strongest accent in the film.

I think one of the best things about the film is the lack of understanding with the dialog and Scottish slang, for anyone outside the UK it will be near impossible to understand I'm willing to bet haha its hard enough for me being British but it all adds to the total gritty realism and down to earth, edgy, streetwise vibe that you feel from the flick, seeing Begbie get into scraps whilst shouting every swear word under the sun is really very watchable despite being crass.

I see this as an almost Tarantino-esq style film really with its disjointed approach and over the top colourful characters (with odd names), even the films posters were abit 'Reservoir Dogs like' in their design.

Very much a character driven film with plenty of little plots buzzing around the main plot which happens to be about drug addiction, I tend to overlook the drug side and just enjoy the little sub plots going on which include some great surreal visuals. Can be a touch too depressing at times as I said but its certainly extremely unique and most definitely a cult.

Hubbs

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995)

The Crypt Keeper has always looked pretty dodgy if you ask me hehe a pretty bad puppet but hey its not all about him. The actual set for his crypt always looks cool in a Munster/Addams type way which is fun and kooky, nothing special though.

So ye olde Crypt Keeper intros the story which is a feature length plot and based around a group of people stuck in a building with a demon outside after their blood and a special key which one of them processes. Its kinda like a horror version of 'Assault on Precinct 13' with an 'Evil Dead' black comedy angle which does work pretty well I must admit. Billy Zane does a good job as the head demon hamming it up something huge and churning out some decent lines and visual gags, up against him is William Sadler who, for once, plays the hero and the only one who can stop the demons.

The action is good fun and chock full of decent makeup and prosthetics with lots of over the top blood n gore by the bucket full, the plot is actually quite deep revolving around demons dating back through the ages with 'chosen ones' being the only defenders etc....a bit more in depth than the usual Crypt tales.
Bottom line though if you like 'Evil Dead' or 'From Dusk Till Dawn' or 'Feast' then I'm sure you will like this ;)

Hubbs

Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood (1996)

Another tongue cheek blood n guts rampage this time including lots of tits n ass too :) so its pretty darn good then haha. An unoriginal vampire tale this time, set in a brothel with lots of ladies eating biker types much like 'From Dusk Till Dawn' or 'Vamp' but nowhere near as good.

Plot is pretty standard but like the previous Crypt flick is does have a wonderful array of makeup and prosthetic effects all over the show with blood squirting and fangs flying, nothing you haven't seen before but it looks good. Casting is drab but does include 80's horror comedy star Sarandon and 80's teen star Feldman both of which raise the film slightly, Angie Everhart looks delicious as 'Lilith'.

You know what your gonna get with this franchise so your gonna love it or hate it, personally I see these films as an oppertunity to view good examples of horror makeup/effects normally without much cgi, plus they are always good fun on a no brainer level.

Hubbs

Final Destination 5

Well we all know how this goes and this new film goes exactly the same as the last four but personally I have always kinda enjoyed this franchise with its imaginative deaths and spooky karma.

The whole death and fate concept is a very cool idea and it is eerie to think it might be true and when your times up its up. This new film is no different from the others, the highlight being the major accident/death sequence at the start where everyone gets killed, always impressive, makes you wince and its fun in a rather morbid fashion.

The rest of the film isn't as fun as that opening sequence, we all know this, but the way people are taken by death is still in-genius and even nastier this time round. You know whats gonna happen near enough and at times it does make you think 'ouch! now that's gotta sting!'. Personally I didn't like Tony Todd's character in this as he seems to know too much about whats going on which makes you wonder how he would know,
Spoiler
also the ending sequence is good and has the whole franchises story appear to come full circle back to the first film revealing it is infact a prequel.
[close]
If you like this franchise then you won't be disappointed I'm sure.

Hubbs

Tales from the Crypt (1972)

Very old British horror anthology and the beginning of the 'Tales' movies based on the EC comic series. Five tales which have been retold now many times eg. 'The Simpsons' have their first appearance but don't really impress due to the age of the film.

The most memorable stories from this collection are easily 'Reflection of Death' where a man travelling in a car dreams he is gonna die in a car crash within the same car, 'Wish You Were Here' which is a neat little variation on the story 'The Monkey's Paw' by W.W.Jacobs and 'Poetic Justice' where some neighbours despise the old man next door so they try to get rid of him with unexpected results. Just like the modern films this film is also bookended by a wrap around tale which is quite good, a group of tourists viewing some catacombs get lost and find an old Crypt Keeper who tells them how they will die ;) kooky but fun.

The tales by todays standards are very quaint, very old fashioned and not very scary in the least but they are enjoyable as soft horror yarns and with the inclusion of one or two big names like Cushing and Collins it does tick along nicely.

Don't expect any great effects or even decent acting hehe but if you like the anthology concept with eerie tales then this is an interesting find.

Money Train (1995)

Snipes and Harrelson team up again for this so so action thriller as two transit cops that lose their jobs and end up trying to rob the moneytrain. The film kicks off pretty well with the duo tagging up together and bustin bad guys whilst somewhat rebelling against their anal boss, as you can expect there is allot of fast dialog, fast punches and swift stunts but not enough to really impress or save the film.

After the first ten minutes or so the film does get quite dull quite quick its gotta be said with not much action and mainly the boys squabbling over Jennifer Lopez, we get some good fighting moments with Snipes doing his thing and Harrelson being abit of a dweeb haha

The film really picks up again in the finale with the guys trying to work out what to do when the plan by Harrelson to steal the moneytrain goes tits up and they are speeding towards certain death with another subway train. Its definitely quite tense and its filmed/created pretty well giving a good sense of danger and speed, easily the best part of the film and just about makes it watchable, only just.

TheMonolith

Falling Down
Bill Foster (Michael Douglas) tries to get home to his estranged wife to attend his daughter's birthday in the city of Los Angeles. After getting increasingly frustrated at the state of the city, its citizens and its business practices, he acquires a bag of guns and sets off on a city wide spree to vent his overflowing rage. His ex-wife is horrified what he will do when he arrives at her door.
Michael Douglas does a great job as out unpredictable protagonist. Not since Travis Bickle has the main character of a film made the viewer so uneasy. Given his behavior, we are incredibly fearful of just what he might do when he reaches the birthday party, and his wife's growing fear becomes more understandable. At times, he seems quite harmless and even has a few good natured laughs at his own antics, such as when he plays along with a bystander who believes he is filming a movie.  At others, he seems cold blooded and capable of doing monstrous things, such as when he tells his ex-wife over the phone that murdering one's wife is still legal in South America. He is a great character to follow, keeping us on edge as to just what he is going to do next. Robert Duvall as the cop chasing him down offers much needed and entirely believable comic relief. Despite his tragic back-story (a manipulative wife and  a two year old daughter who died) he carries himself with an odd sense of optimism and, while sympathetic to Bill's frustrations, is aware they can reach dangerous levels. Some of the best moments are when he snaps at his chastising wife over the phone and punches a co-worker in her defense.
The film is structured in a point by point, and incredibly realistic fashion. It begins when Bill abandons his car in the freeway and immediately jumps to his first attack, a vandalizing of a convenience store due to complaints at the high prices. There are plenty of spectacular moments such as the shredding of a phone booth and a rocket launcher being fired into a manhole in protest of road work, but no moment seems too over the top, comical, or bizarre so that it seems out of place of the realistic hellhole the movie portrays.
James Newton Howard does a decent score for the film. The score is especially good when Bill is running up a peer to meet his ex-wife and daughter. Aside from a few strong points, it is a relatively forgettable score and, while certainly not terrible, does not leave a lasting impression. Where is the theme of D-Fens? Surely such an interesting character deserves a readily identifiable theme.
Joel Schumacher is a rather infamous director due to the notoriously bad Batman and Robin, but would you believe he has done good films? Phone Booth and A Time to Kill being contenders for the number 1 spot. This however is probably his most risky film. He does show an eye for cinematic beauty. There is an especially beautiful shot here the camera pans from several sky scrapers down to Bill's eye looking through his shoe that has a hole worn into the bottom. One wonders where this went when he did his Batman films. The guy can make great films. These three prove it. He should try to find  amore clearly defined style for future projects so he can do more winners.
The film, while sounding like and being advertised as a film about venting is far from that. Rather, we see the rapid deterioration of an already broken man until there is little left of him to save. It, despite the occasionally funny moment and several scenes where the audience cheers for our psychotic hero, is very downbeat bordering on nightmarish.
Falling Down is a classic of the 90s, a showcasing of the downsides of an urbanized society and its effects on an unstable citizen.  A thought provoking and widely entertaining piece that had great potential as an independent film. Somehow the studio financed it, which is why it comes off as a commercial effort much of the time. In spite of that, it works great. A fine suspenseful drama that is sure to leave an impression. Recommended.

Hubbs

King Kong (2005)

Big name, big film, three hours and twenty minutes to be precise phew! just completed the extended version of this remake (Jackson likes em big huh) and I must admit I did enjoy the film from start to finish. The original of course is still the real king if we are honest about it but Jackson certainly goes for broke here and does come up trumps with a rollicking boys own adventure full of everything you could need for excitement.

This new version reminded me of many classic old monster flicks like 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' and 'Clash of the Titans' rolled into one, everything from swamps beasties to giant bats to giant leech things manage to devour the hapless seafarers on their adventure into the unknown. Of course cgi is in extremely heavy use for this film with many creatures looking really good yet some maybe not so, sequences involving the cast amongst dinosaurs do tend to come off rather badly and obvious considering it was only made in 05, not just the creatures though as allot of vistas and scenes with cast in the foreground did look very fake from time to time with clear use of bluescreen.

Not quite up to the standards of Spielberg and his 'Jurassic Park' or recent monster flicks but this is easily forgiven as the film is such a fun ride. Starting in New York, with some of the best cgi of the film for sure, the film is grand in presentation and alive with colour and activity as 30's NY is amazingly reconstructed perfectly. We meet the cast and slowly get to known them alittle bit at a time which is unusual for a blockbuster frankly plus this makes up much of the three hour film time. To be honest all cast members are just about fine for their roles accept Jack Black who for me just isn't the right kind of actor for this type of film, he looked the part but came across as restrained and uncomfortable as he's more used to basically being unpredictably insane. Brody also didn't really impress me here with his odd mop of straightened hair and dull awkward performance, hardly a leading man in looks and not really overly effective as an action man either, bad choice in my opinion where as the original choice of Clooney I think would have fitted the bill and era much better.

The effects of course are the main talking point of the film with a mammoth amount of cgi being used and for the most part its all good. New York is a gem when viewed on Bluray, the sea sequences are decent but atad shaky here and there much like the dinosaurs but of course the main attraction is Kong himself who looks spot on and impressively fierce. Must admit I did keep thinking of 'Mighty Joe Young' whenever I saw him haha but Kong does look the business for sure, sequences where he fights the V Rex's are simply brilliant stuff and do the original proud by also managing to recreate move for move most of the old film.
Easily the best monster mash moments involve Kong fighting and roaring, motion capture is finely tuned to make Kong appear as a real gorilla should, his hair is dark and straight, hands and body move as they should in reality, his huffing and puffing is wonderfully done and most impressively they manage to give Kong a soul, a sparkle from within that makes you care for him, you want him to survive with his damsel and seeing him play with 'Darrow' as they build their friendship you really begin to love the big guy, more than you think you could ever do with a computer generated character.

The finale as we know would be impressive and it is right from the get go, Kong atop the Empire State Building is an awesome sight, it just looks damn good, the cam angles used as the bi-planes swarm around and swoop past make you feel the speed and do cause tension combining the height involved and the ever knowing outcome. I must admit I was sweating a touch as Kong leaps from his tiny perch so high up, at the same time you so want him to live and not get killed, the final moment with Darrow in the end is poignant as the score swells and what we all know happens, many kudos to the team for bringing so much to life in these moments.

There really is so much you could say about this film as so much happens and with tonnes of visual flare and panache. Its not totally perfect of course but to be honest the little problems tend to add to the charm of the film. The always handy monster chow that never seems to deplete....in the form of the scurvy sailors haha there's always one or two sailors around to be eaten by the latest monster to rear its head or if not eaten then get hurled against a huge rock, crushed underfoot or thrown into a deep ravine haha just like the films of old. As said the sequences with cast in the same shot as cgi elements can be dodgy, the Brontosaurus rampage is particularly iffy looking if truth be told.
Must add that some of the action sequences do get abit beyond the realms of acceptance if that's possible hehe the way Kong fights the Dino's and hurls Darrow around in his hands and feet is abit too crazy really, surely she would have been killed of a heart attack or broken limbs by the end of it hehe.

Could nitpick but I won't as the film is a highly enjoyable Indy, Harryhausen safari type romp with everything you could need for pure 100% escapism and adventure, the only thing missing is an erupting volcano.

TJ Doc

I've also posted this here. With bonus pictures!

An American Werewolf in London

Just over a week ago, An American Werewolf in London, directed by John Landis, celebrated its thirtieth anniversary. With that in mind, I recently gave it a slightly belated birthday viewing. And you know what? It still holds up today.

American Werewolf has the distinction of being one of the original 'horror comedies' (a horredy?). Not a comedic spoof of horror, but a film which, when done properly, can find just the right balance between the two genres. In this case, it's able to quickly turn from being light-hearted fun to an exercise in genuine terror, and so was ahead of its time in a lot ways. Take the early scenes set on the Yorkshire moors as an example, as we watch doomed tourist buddies David (David Naughton) and Jack (Griffin Dunne) amiably banter and bicker about everything from the weather to women. But it's not long before the rain sets in and, along with it, the howling starts. Soon they're running, panic stricken, from some unseen horror, yet even then they try and make light of the situation. Of course, it all comes to a shocking and bloody end.

The film continues this balance of humour and horror throughout. I think my favourite scenes are those that focus on David and Jack together. There's always a great sense of chemistry between them. And I'm not just referring to their opening sequences. By far, the best gag here is that the two characters spend time with each other even after Jack has been mauled to death. He appears one morning before David's hospital bed with a smile on his face. Only problem is, his face has been ruined by claw marks, and his entire throat has been torn to shreds. As this image sinks in, he calmly points at David's breakfast tray and asks, "Can I have a piece of toast?"

That's brilliant. And there's two more scenes just like it later on. In each, Dunne's makeup becomes increasingly more gruesome to the point where he is finally portrayed by an actual practical effect! He also appears to become more snarky as his condition deteriorates (all things considered, I guess you can't exactly blame him). But he carries a serious message for David. Jack can only be at peace if the wolf's bloodline is severed. In other words, David has to die! It's not just Jack who's trying to get this message across, however. During their final meeting in an erotic theatre, he's accompanied by a handful of fresh corpses (a result of David's third act killing spree), who all offer up suggestions for how the poor werewolf could potentially kill himself. In particular, there's an excitable young couple who seem to be taking the whole death thing rather well, and are quite eager to suggest the simple use of a gun in the mouth ("Then you'd be sure not to miss!"). They're all sunshine and happiness at the time, too, despite being caked in blood.               

On the opposite end of the tonal spectrum, some of the film's most frightening scenes take place in David's mind. While recovering in hospital after the initial attack, he has several disturbing dreams (in which he runs naked through the woods and rips a deer's head off) that soon morph into nightmares. In one, there's a truly startling jump scare that'll leave in image burned into your mind whenever you turn off the lights, while another starts off with a cosy image of life at home with David's family... before they're all suddenly massacred by a squad of machinegun-toting Nazi werewolves. Yeah, David's reaction of "Holy shit!" is putting it lightly if you ask me.

Then there are the later scenes where, after his transformation, David prowls around London in search of potential victims. Gorehounds will likely be disappointed to discover that, save for one severed hand, these parts are virtually blood free. The standout sequence here involves one very unlucky train commuter, who is stalked through the blank corridors of a deserted subway station until he's finally cornered on a rising escalator. It's a masterful example of what building suspense can achieve over out-and-out violence.

Speaking of "carnage candy" (thanks, Scream 2), the movie does eventually go all-out just in time for the climax. David's final, chaotic rampage through the speeding traffic of Piccadilly Circus is at once a devastating and hilarious sight. It's an uncompromising orgy of screaming crowds, crashing vehicles and crushed bodies which ends the film with about as big a bang as you could hope for.   

You can't write anything about American Werewolf without mentioning Rick Baker's incredible special effects. I've already noted Dunne's extensive makeup, but as great as that is, it is of course the transformation scene that'll really blow you away. Emphasis was placed on making David's metamorphosis from man into beast look as painful as possible. They succeeded. Just look at the expression on his face as he watches his hand violently spread out into an inhuman shape. Then the same thing happens with his feet. Hair starts sprouting all over his body. His spine moves and crunches under his skin as he finds himself forced onto all fours. Lastly, his face elongates into something hideously canine. All the while, he's screaming. In the great 'Practical vs. CGI' effects debate, this film gives the old-school team a major advantage. And you've gotta love how a light and breezy rendition of 'Blue Moon' plays over the whole, agonising sequence.

But it's not completely without criticism. I do find it odd how, despite them quite clearly being great friends, David never seems too choked up about Jack's death. Also, though it's still a memorable creature, the final werewolf design does at times resemble a walking carpet, and maybe isn't quite as fearsome as other cinematic lycanthropes (such as those from the same year's The Howling). But since it spends so much time out of sight, this isn't exactly a major issue. And I'm sure many will be put off by the film's abrupt ending, though I do personally quite like it.

So, is An American Werewolf in London still an excellent horror classic that's worthy of your time and attention even after thirty years? Absolutely. And there's a fair amount of great stuff I haven't even mentioned, such as the tense scene where David and Jack stop off at a (very local) pub called "The Slaughtered Lamb", or the sweet but tragically short relationship David shares with his nurse (Jenny Agutter). If you haven't seen the film before, then I highly recommend you go give it a watch.

Just, you know... stay off the moors and all that.     

Shasvre

Great review. I haven't actually seen this movie, only An American Werewolf in Paris. Reading your review, that now strikes me more of a remake than an sequel to this. They sound very much alike at least. Will definitely check this out sometimes soon. :)

TJ Doc

Well I haven't seen the sequel myself, but yeah, I heard it was more or less a retread only with clunky 90s CGI effects which didn't go down too well with anyone.

And thanks.  :)

First Blood

Great review TJ.  :)

Whilst its been ages since I've watched the film myself, the subway sequence always stuck in my mind.

TJ Doc

Poor guy just wanted to go home.  :(

TheMonolith

He should have taken a page from William "D Fens' Foster's getting home methods. David wouldn't have given him as much trouble.
An American Werewolf in London is one of Landis' best films. He tried out a new genre, yet kept what made his career in the first place. The laughs.
Your review really does the film justice. I think your criticisms are fair as well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed