what will the aliens be?

Started by XanltheCSG, Jan 23, 2008, 02:41:32 AM

Author
what will the aliens be? (Read 12,432 times)

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: Byohzrd on Feb 21, 2008, 10:18:44 PM
Confirmed:
Alien Warrior
Alien Drone
some sort of egg carrying alien

The term "Drone" describes the egg carrier A, so Giger's Alien is not a "Drone" (it's referred to as a "Scout" and "the Smart one" )  and B only Giger's Alien and Cameraliens are CONFIRMED.

Master

Master

Quote from: Remonster on Feb 22, 2008, 03:05:40 AM
None in space is going to have a Komodo Dragon. Cats, Hamsters and dogs are understandable. But an 10-11 foot long lizard requires a lot of room to roam around, not too mention food and water thats not readily available in space.

I dare to disagree. If you don`t like comodo dragon idea then pick any other from Varanidae family.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor_lizard

Lots of lizards capable of carying an embryo.

ZNorMorph

ZNorMorph

Is there an Alien Side/Campaign to this game? or is it just straight out Marines ???

Master

Master

Just marines.

Zero

Zero

Wait till modders get their hands on this game.Year from now I bet we'll have a full alien campaign straight from fansites

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

I will shit blood if any EU Alien bullshitery makes it into this game.

Zero

Zero

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Feb 29, 2008, 10:54:49 AM
I will shit blood if any EU Alien bullshitery makes it into this game.

I do not understand what you mean by "Eu Alien Bullshitery"

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

Expanded (expendable) universe.

Alien cyborgs, weird/stupid looking Alien hybrids that sort of thing.

xenomorph36

xenomorph36

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Feb 29, 2008, 03:40:50 PM
Expanded (expendable) universe.

Alien cyborgs, weird/stupid looking Alien hybrids that sort of thing.

meain either.

i just want all the aliens from all four films.

arachnophilia

arachnophilia

Quote from: Xhan on Feb 22, 2008, 03:39:48 AM
Quote from: Byohzrd on Feb 21, 2008, 10:18:44 PM
Confirmed:
Alien Warrior
Alien Drone
some sort of egg carrying alien

The term "Drone" describes the egg carrier A, so Giger's Alien is not a "Drone" (it's referred to as a "Scout" and "the Smart one" )  and B only Giger's Alien and Cameraliens are CONFIRMED.

ok, well, let's be clear here. james cameron screwed up. he called the workers "drones" and the drones "warriors."

in ants and bees, which he modelled the aliens after, drones are the product of unfertilized eggs, haploid males that are somewhat seasonal. they defend the hive, and collect resources. workers, diploid but sterile females, tend to the queen, fed her, and shuttle eggs about.

the aliens we see the movies ("warriors") would correctly be called "drones" under this model, and the unseen egg-carriers (in cameron's script as "drones") would be "workers."

Xhan

Xhan

Given the Alien's reproduction, I don't refer to the "Hymenopteric" model at all in any form.

Alien don't come from Earth, they don't follow terribly many terrestrial laws, including apparently, gravity (Dietrich, Brett).There's zero evidence that Aliens possess any genetic code at all, simply that that Terrestrial and Alien structural morphology are somewhat compatible and the Alien is able to pick and choose selectively. Period. The End. Fullstop. The Aliens which are supposed to be most human, the Hybrids, have LESS human features than Spike, who follows what looks suspiciously like a quadruped phenotype, after all he came from a dog.. Particularly in the lower body dept.

I'm not remotely fond of Cameron's model, as it smacks of fanboyism and downright lazyness, and I'm certainly not going to hazard anything that FURTHERS the notion that Aliens are simply Giant Ants from SPAAAAAAACE, nor do I give it the remotest precedence.

Private Hudson

Private Hudson

The makers of the game said in their own words: NOT ANY DUMN HYBRIDS (not in these words but this was his basic point).

Xhan

Xhan

Dude the Aliens in A:R are Hybrids. Technically ANY Alien that isn't an original Egg is a Hybrid.

arachnophilia

arachnophilia

Quote from: Xhan on Mar 01, 2008, 05:28:12 AM
Given the Alien's reproduction, I don't refer to the "Hymenopteric" model at all in any form.

it's rather well know (hell, it's in the movie) that cameron based his idea of the aliens on bees and ants. i'd say the comparison is fair, especially since that form of sexual reproduction predicts and unseen class that, surprise, appears in cameron's script. not a coincidence.

for what it's worth, stuff on this planet is pretty weird. the OTHER part of the alien's reproduction cycle is based on wasps. and when i think of a good two-stage analogy, i'll post it. (tunicates maybe? corals?)

Quote from: Xhan on Mar 01, 2008, 05:28:12 AMAlien don't come from Earth, they don't follow terribly many terrestrial laws, including apparently, gravity (Dietrich, Brett).

gravity is a universal law. it's not just for people born on earth.

Quote from: Xhan on Mar 01, 2008, 05:28:12 AMThere's zero evidence that Aliens possess any genetic code at all, simply that that Terrestrial and Alien structural morphology are somewhat compatible and the Alien is able to pick and choose selectively. Period. The End. Fullstop.

pick and choose how though? it's not magic. the only way it can look at the human body plan and mimic it in the developmental stages, from the inside out, is by looking at our genetic code and copying it. there are only so many ways life can develop, and still be compatible with us.

Quote from: Xhan on Mar 01, 2008, 05:28:12 AMThe Aliens which are supposed to be most human, the Hybrids, have LESS human features than Spike, who follows what looks suspiciously like a quadruped phenotype, after all he came from a dog.. Particularly in the lower body dept.

is "spike" what we're calling the dog/ox alien now? first, let's make something very clear. designs are picked more or less on the whim of the particular director. no one is actively trying to make the alien design fit some fan speculation.

however, if they are adopting human DNA, we should expect each generation to look more and human. probably a coincidence that this exactly what happens, but *shrug*

Quote from: Xhan on Mar 01, 2008, 05:28:12 AMI'm not remotely fond of Cameron's model, as it smacks of fanboyism and downright lazyness, and I'm certainly not going to hazard anything that FURTHERS the notion that Aliens are simply Giant Ants from SPAAAAAAACE, nor do I give it the remotest precedence.

i'm far more fond of "alien" myself, as well. but simply because they're using the haploid-diploid model of sex determination does not mean that they are simply "giant ants from space." certainly not any more than laying eggs inside living hosts makes them "giant wasps from space." it's clearly more complicated than that, even though the directors used insects as models for individual parts of their social and  reproductive structures.

Quote from: Xhan on Mar 01, 2008, 08:16:24 AMDude the Aliens in A:R are Hybrids. Technically ANY Alien that isn't an original Egg is a Hybrid.

what's an original egg? since all aliens seem to be incorporating parts of the host's DNA into their own makeup, no egg layed by any alien is "original."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed