Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 689,712 times)

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: The Wolf on Dec 20, 2008, 01:08:14 AM
The Predators are hunters. I don't think they should be anything more than that.

Agreed.

Quote from: Silver Surfer on Dec 20, 2008, 11:59:58 AM
Hunters dont need to be able to muscle around what they hunt,

dont see us bulking up to try and take on elephants etc.

That's a different situation though, modern day hunters do not "bulk up to take on elephants" because we have developed impressive ranged weapons that enable us to neutralize such creatures with low risk to our own lives. The predators have a completely different take on combat, though they have developed plasma guns they still use bladed close combat and ranged weapons, presumably to show their martial prowess. (I can't think of any other reason to use bladed weapons apart from the honour of a close kill, apart from when stealth is required.) We "know" that predators see regular close combat, from all the predator movies and the AvP movies, and so in this case, the predator does "need to be able to muscle around what they hunt.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 20, 2008, 03:31:45 PM
And when he was hopping around the power plant, jumping from level to level.

But the predators also displayed such acrobatic displays in AvP, (leap of Scar? Across the chasm when the pyramid shifted, Scar's twirl in the air), just that the pyramid was a lot more cramped so they couldn't go around jumping like monkeys.

Svarog

Svarog

Must say that only thing that boders me in AvP:R is that Aliens are sitting ducks during entire movie...they made them weak ,slow,stupid and just not scarry at all!
In the streets, they slaughter entire squad of NG, and at the end on the roof, every shot hits them and kills them like mindless zombies!

AvP had Grid who showed more character than Chat in AvP:R, or any single Alien ever.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Celtic-predator on Dec 20, 2008, 09:13:10 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 20, 2008, 03:31:45 PM
And when he was hopping around the power plant, jumping from level to level.

But the predators also displayed such acrobatic displays in AvP, (leap of Scar? Across the chasm when the pyramid shifted, Scar's twirl in the air), just that the pyramid was a lot more cramped so they couldn't go around jumping like monkeys.

Yes, but considering he couldn't outrun Lex (!!) that's a small achievement I think.

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 21, 2008, 01:49:26 AM
Yes, but considering he couldn't outrun Lex (!!) that's a small achievement I think.

Look at it from the director's perspective, an actor in a bulky suit is slower than a reasonably fit woman, when they film the end escape scene, they could ask the actor portraying Lex to run slower but that would be unrealistic, the actor playing the predator is already running as fast as he can, and the only way they could make him faster, (assuming the suit is already as light as it can be,) is to use CGI to enchance the predator. Would it really be worth it? We could assume the predator is feeling chest pain, from the chestburster inside him, is fatigued by the fighting or is wounded.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

QuoteThat's a different situation though, modern day hunters do not "bulk up to take on elephants" because we have developed impressive ranged weapons that enable us to neutralize such creatures with low risk to our own lives. The predators have a completely different take on combat, though they have developed plasma guns they still use bladed close combat and ranged weapons, presumably to show their martial prowess. (I can't think of any other reason to use bladed weapons apart from the honour of a close kill, apart from when stealth is required.) We "know" that predators see regular close combat, from all the predator movies and the AvP movies, and so in this case, the predator does "need to be able to muscle around what they hunt.

yes but since its shown that close combat with an alien is almost suicide considering they're claws,tail and acid blood...its like us attacking a tiger with a knife and spear...chances are we'll lose...so long range is all we have...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Celtic-predator on Dec 21, 2008, 06:44:58 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 21, 2008, 01:49:26 AM

Look at it from the director's perspective, an actor in a bulky suit is slower than a reasonably fit woman, when they film the end escape scene, they could ask the actor portraying Lex to run slower but that would be unrealistic, the actor playing the predator is already running as fast as he can, and the only way they could make him faster, (assuming the suit is already as light as it can be,) is to use CGI to enchance the predator. Would it really be worth it? We could assume the predator is feeling chest pain, from the chestburster inside him, is fatigued by the fighting or is wounded.

I understand that, but the point is that, this is not the Predator most of us remember from '87 and '92, so as far as I am concerned, Anderson was clueless in that respect.

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: Silver Surfer on Dec 21, 2008, 12:48:31 PM
yes but since its shown that close combat with an alien is almost suicide considering they're claws,tail and acid blood...its like us attacking a tiger with a knife and spear...chances are we'll lose...so long range is all we have...

Yes exactly, that's the point of predator culture. It is very dangerous to tackle an alien using close combat weaponary because of their numerous natural weaponry, yet the predators do it anyway because it is part of their honour code, and those that do learn from their initiation trials become badass mofos. Just look at Wolf. The predators know that it would be easier to simply plasma gun every alien they come across, but then the trials wouldn't be a challenge, which is the entire point of the hunt.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 21, 2008, 03:45:09 PM
I understand that, but the point is that, this is not the Predator most of us remember from '87 and '92, so as far as I am concerned, Anderson was clueless in that respect.

Well I cannot argue with that. You win this one.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

QuoteYes exactly, that's the point of predator culture. It is very dangerous to tackle an alien using close combat weaponary because of their numerous natural weaponry, yet the predators do it anyway because it is part of their honour code, and those that do learn from their initiation trials become badass mofos. Just look at Wolf. The predators know that it would be easier to simply plasma gun every alien they come across, but then the trials wouldn't be a challenge, which is the entire point of the hunt

yes i understand all of your points but the fact of the matter is, its that predators shouldnt sacrifice speed for bulk, even so they get killed pretty damn easily anyhow (gill and celtic)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Gill died b/c he was unattentive, and Celtic died b/c he got stupid. Bulk had nothing to do with it.

dachande89

dachande89

Arrogance was definitly Celtic's undoing. Underestimated the Alien's strength to break the net, and took too long savoring the moment to draw the knife and kill it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

More like just plain forgot how the net gun works, but point taken.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 22, 2008, 05:44:23 PM
Gill died b/c he was unattentive, and Celtic died b/c he got stupid. Bulk had nothing to do with it.

yes, but that was due to there portrayel in the movie, they didnt seem like hunters, they were like walking tree trunks in avp...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

No argument there.

joeisdaman190

joeisdaman190

if i had to choose id say avp r

but they didnt come close to how good the original alien and predator films

cloverfan98

cloverfan98

For me, it would most likey be AVP. I know there is a lot of hatered for this movie, but I really like it. They did mess somethings up, such as overpowering the aliens, and underpowering the Predators, and setting it in the present time. However, I don't mind its PG 13 rating at all. It had good effects, and battles, unlike AVPR where you couldn't see anything. I like AVPR for what it is, and its a fun movie, but I hate the fact that for some reason, you never get a real good look at the monsters. The characters were less likeable than the ones in AVP to me, and its a reall shame, because this could have been a really good movie. I loved the Predalien though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed