*Spoilers* AvPR Sewer Battle Youtube *Spoilers*

Started by TheUrbanPredator, Dec 20, 2007, 10:47:21 PM

Author
*Spoilers* AvPR Sewer Battle Youtube *Spoilers* (Read 51,918 times)

SiL

Quote from: gases on Dec 21, 2007, 05:25:18 AM
Quote the film for me where they gain intellegence.
Aliens: We can't bumrush the sentry guns. Let's try going around.
Alien 3: These guys really want me to go into this particular area (the piston). I'm staying out.
Alien Resurrection: Button = Liquid nitrogen = pain. And oh! I can use it on other things. Whee!

QuoteIf it's not quote movie and my mistake, because to me you guys are implying the development of their intellegence is boundless when their behaviour is essentially stagnent and repetative. "Oh cocoon human... kill some shit.. start over" 
Hardly.

There's really no way to fall into a totally perpetual repeating cycle. In the end something would change and the Aliens would learn from it. That's how it goes and that's what's being talked about.

Remonster

Not too forget that the Aliens set up multiple amubushes during Aliens and Resurrection. The Alien in Alien 3 also managed to outsmart the prisoners, as it didn't stay along their intended path.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: gases on Dec 21, 2007, 05:25:18 AM
...because to me you guys are implying the development of their intellegence is boundless when their behaviour is essentially stagnent and repetative. "Oh cocoon human... kill some shit.. start over" 

No one implied any such thing.  Do you think that you'll get smarter and smarter as you age, until you're the smartest person on the planet?  Of course not.  But you do learn things and remember them and adapt your subsequent behaviour accordingly, do you not?  So do the Aliens.

gases

Yea I totally agree that they can learn things from new experiences. But sitting on their asses doing nothing (without interaction with prey) will not mean they get smarter. Sorry just an earlier post said imagine if they lived for 10 years. If they had constant interaction then yea.. but if they are just hibernating in the hive they wouldn't gain new intellgence as they would experience nothing new.

Weasel

The aliens in Aliens blindly ran into the sentry guns. If they were that smart they would have found an alternative route after one of theirs hit the floor.

SiL

Quote from: Weasel on Dec 21, 2007, 08:57:21 AM
The aliens in Aliens blindly ran into the sentry guns. If they were that smart they would have found an alternative route after one of theirs hit the floor.
Humans have a long, sad history of sending wave after wave of people into gunfire. Unarmed people. And guess what? Unlike the Aliens, they never bothered to try finding a way around! They just waited until someone realised how f**king stupid they were being and bring in the big guns.

Weasel

Quote from: SiL on Dec 21, 2007, 08:59:41 AM
Quote from: Weasel on Dec 21, 2007, 08:57:21 AM
Humans have a long, sad history of sending wave after wave of people into gunfire. Unarmed people. And guess what? Unlike the Aliens, they never bothered to try finding a way around! They just waited until someone realised how f**king stupid they were being and bring in the big guns.

Aliens are not humans. It wasn't like the queen said. 'Okay everybody, run into gunfire.'

SiL

Quote from: Weasel on Dec 21, 2007, 09:23:59 AM
Aliens are not humans. It wasn't like the queen said. 'Okay everybody, run into gunfire.'
And it wasn't like the Aliens had ever seen anything like a sentry gun before or had any possible way of knowing how to deal with them.

Besides which, the point still stands.

Weasel

Quote from: SiL on Dec 21, 2007, 09:29:59 AM
Quote from: Weasel on Dec 21, 2007, 09:23:59 AM
And it wasn't like the Aliens had ever seen anything like a sentry gun before or had any possible way of knowing how to deal with them.

Besides which, the point still stands.

I'm just saying that xenomorphs aren't the epitome of super intelligence. They have basic problem solving skills. Cavemen are more intelligent.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Weasel on Dec 21, 2007, 09:32:27 AM
I'm just saying that xenomorphs aren't the epitome of super intelligence.

No one said they were.  They were arguing that Aliens are not complete retards, that's all.

SiL

Quote from: Weasel on Dec 21, 2007, 09:32:27 AM
I'm just saying that xenomorphs aren't the epitome of super intelligence. They have basic problem solving skills. Cavemen are more intelligent.
They aren't run-into-the-wall, don't-retaliate-when-you're-being-attacked stupid, either. They can clearly learn; if we saw a group live past a few weeks in a variety of circumstances we'd see them becoming more and more intelligent.

Also consider that we've never once seen Aliens in their natural habitat. Raise a human child, or group of children, without any form of human interaction outside themselves, and see how well they compare.

Weasel

They said they can learn beyond hive mind. Which as much as I love aliens, know it's not very true. There instinctive and on the top of the food chain which is why they do so well.

And I never said aliens are retards. They are quite smart when it comes to basic animalistic urges.

Uncanny Antman

So we all actually agree after all?

That's settled then.  :)

SiL

Quote from: Weasel on Dec 21, 2007, 09:39:16 AM
They said they can learn beyond hive mind. Which as much as I love aliens, know it's not very true.
Given you've only seen weeks-old Aliens with very limited experiences to learn from, and without any real need to develop into anything more complex, you can't say that.

SiL

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Dec 21, 2007, 09:40:30 AM
So we all actually agree after all?

That's settled then.  :)
I'm not! I like to think Aliens can be more than just ... I'd say glorified, but after AvPR I think a genuine oversized space termite would be cooler than an Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed