The Hobbit Trilogy

Started by War Wager, Mar 28, 2007, 07:49:40 PM

Author
The Hobbit Trilogy (Read 686,275 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 08, 2014, 06:53:25 PM
Just watching that makes my stomach hurt. :-X :D
But then how can you eat second breakfast?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Lembas bread!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Omegazilla on Dec 08, 2014, 06:55:07 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 08, 2014, 06:53:25 PM
Just watching that makes my stomach hurt. :-X :D
But then how can you eat second breakfast?

I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Omega.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

:D

Xenodog

Sozin

Sozin

Quote from: Xenodog on Dec 08, 2014, 07:25:40 PMWhere are you?

Sweden. Well, to be fair, we're only getting the midnight screening tomorrow.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Oh right...still pretty envious!

Scree

Scree

Seeing it today at midnight. Lets see if this is better than the last one?

Xenodog

Xenodog

Tell us what you think!
Spoilers included...

Sozin

Sozin

I just watched this. It was about as "good" as the last one. A few solid moments spread throughout the film, but otherwise as overdone and dragged out as I had feared. Also, Omega, you were right...

Spoiler
Smaug didn't make it past the title screen. :D
[close]

Some things that stood out...

Spoiler
Shai-Hulud! Or something similar. Reminded me of larger (and darker) versions of things that ate Andy Serkis in King Kong.

I was surprised that Tauriel actually made it out alive. Which begs the question, what were they planning on doing with her character? She was banished from Mirkwood and Legolas left to find Aragorn (most pointless case of name dropping ever). But perhaps Thranduil's heart softened a bit towards the end and he let her stay? Guess they didn't bother to tell us.

Speaking of Tauriel, we now have our first on screen dwarf/elf kiss (even if he was dead at the time). We have waited so long for this.

The last moments between Thorin and Bilbo were great. Well acted from both Freeman and Armitage.

Legolas jumping between the falling rocks was probably the dumbest thing I have seen in both trilogies. The reaction from the audience I was in was pretty much "WTF?".

Dáin wasn't too bad, once he got his helmet off. Not as dignified as I imagined the character in the novels, but then again, who is?

The scene with the White Council going up against Sauron and the Ringwraiths was bad. The wraiths didn't look any better on the big screen than they did in the clip. Some of the worst effects I've seen in any of the movies so far. Galadriel going all horror movie on us was kind of cool, or rather could have been, but as it was, it was a bit overdone.

Seeing as how Alfrid survived and made it out with some gold, I must imagine him moving to Rohan, where he fathers a son just as sleazy as himself. Welcome to the world, Grima.
[close]

I don't really know what else to say. There are a lot of things you can rip on. On a whole, it's like the rest of the Hobbit trilogy. A disappointment. The first movie was the best one, in my opinion, and even that wasn't all that great.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I'm gonna hit my own head with a f**king pick-axe...

First Blood

First Blood

Spoiler
Thats disappointing to hear about Smaug. All that build up. :(
[close]

Sozin

Sozin

Quote from: Omegazilla on Dec 10, 2014, 07:21:50 PM
I'm gonna hit my own head with a f**king pick-axe...

Quote from: First Blood on Dec 10, 2014, 07:22:08 PM
Spoiler
Thats disappointing to hear about Smaug. All that build up. :(
[close]

Spoiler
He did last a good fifteen minutes or so. Even got a short chat with Bard. I don't know what else they could have done with him.
[close]

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Spoiler
I imagined he would.

BTW, Sweeps made the other prediction. I expected (more like hoped) his death to come around the 30-minute mark.

Does he say anything before he dies? How is the death played out?
[close]

Sozin

Sozin

Quote from: Omegazilla on Dec 10, 2014, 07:28:51 PM
Spoiler
I imagined he would.

BTW, Sweeps made the other prediction. I expected (more like hoped) his death to come around the 30-minute mark.

Does he say anything before he dies? How is the death played out?
[close]

Spoiler
Bard gets on top of a tower with his bow and some arrows and starts shooting at Smaug to no effect. Meanwhile, Tauriel and the dwarfs are getting his kids out of there on a boat when his son spots him, so he leaves the boat and gets the black arrow he hid in the previous film. He gets on top of the tower with his dad, but Smaug swoops down and almost knocks them down, landing on the other side of town. He starts to mock Bard, telling him his children will die burning. Bard's bow is ruined, but he takes what is left of it and uses it to create a large crossbow (kind of) out of the tower, resting the arrow upon his son's shoulder to aim. Smaug starts to crawl towards them and as he is about to burn or eat them, Bard fires the shot and hits the weak spot. Smaug trashes around, flies into the air, screaming. The fire goes out in his belly and the eyes and he fall on top of the town (and the master, who was trying to escape), crushing it.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed