654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 467,081 times)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Ghost Rider LSOV on Dec 25, 2009, 08:29:43 PM
I prefer the Alien.
Guess it's the whole up close and personal style, its design and well, it has something...alien in it.  ;)
Now about the rest of the Alien family, the facehugger is something I'd never want on me.  :P

Predators are nice too, but they are too...human-like.

Yeah, that's how I feel too.

Quote from: 08yeyinde on Dec 25, 2009, 07:13:36 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Dec 24, 2009, 05:15:18 PM
That doesn't really seem like honour, more like: "Oh yeah? You think you won? Well, eat nuke, motherf**ker!" Why else would Anytime have laughed? That's just how I see them as, though. A bunch of bad-ass motherf**kers. I don't want to get into a debate about it, though.

It seemed an interesting debate topic, but as you wish. We dont seem to have the same opinion.

I suppose we could, but I'm going away for several days tomorrow, so it wouldn't work out all that well.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

I could hold the fort if you like?

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Shit, I'll volunteer. I have enough sheer fanboyism to fill in for ten strong men at arms, each armoured, with a steed, chain and flail in hand.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Let's argue it then! (ignore me if I misunderstood what you guys said :))
About the self destruction, I dont think he laughed at Dutch, it was kinda warning; at least, the pred couldnt be too happy about being defeated a human. Maybe I am wrong about this, but the priority of self destructing is preventing anyone from getting their technology (even dying with honour is secondary) it's for sure.
About the predators being like humans what did you mean, personality or appearance?

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

In general form, psychology and... being assholes. Predators are startlingly human, although that might be the EU material speaking moreso than the films.

As for Anytime, I believe he detonated because he was a sore loser. The 'honour' argument goes out the window when you remember that he was flinging advanced plasma weaponry at long distances. While invisible. And then when Dutch fights back in earnest, he totally flips out and loses his shit.

It's difficult to argue with the 'destroying his technology' argument, but I think we have to look at the intent of the filmmakers here. They wanted something maniacal. If Anytime was just doing his duty, then why laugh? He should've just laid there and waited for Dutch to get caught in the explosion.

Anytime's a downright bastard - and that's the way Predators should be. 

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: MadassAlex on Dec 27, 2009, 12:53:59 AM
In general form, psychology and... being assholes. Predators are startlingly human, although that might be the EU material speaking moreso than the films.
They are more human than Aliens, but not this way you suggest.

As for Anytime, I believe he detonated because he was a sore loser. The 'honour' argument goes out the window when you remember that he was flinging advanced plasma weaponry at long distances. While invisible. And then when Dutch fights back in earnest, he totally flips out and loses his shit.
Of course it was  "honor argument". If he lose, he has no choice. No surrender, no mercy, no choice. If he challenged his foe to a duel, what else he could do? It's not only question of honor, it's question of principles. And in this way his behaviour is very non-human, therefore it's so hard to understand. Don't try to think about him like about human, it can't work... ;)

It's difficult to argue with the 'destroying his technology' argument, but I think we have to look at the intent of the filmmakers here. They wanted something maniacal. If Anytime was just doing his duty, then why laugh? He should've just laid there and waited for Dutch to get caught in the explosion.
See above. It's Preds behaviour, not human. He has no choice. It's so obvious like harakiri for ancient Japanese. I'm pretty sure that his laugh it was exactly laugh. Preds equivalent of "draw the middle finger" (if you know what I mean). They have them rules and they keep it very strictly. But it's them rules, not us. They play them game, we are just deer in the cross hairs.

And yes, he was a bastard. Absolutely bastard. He should be, he could be and he was. Because he's alien hunter. ;)

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Using plasma weaponary doesn't mean dishonour in this case; they have strict rules for what kind of weponary they can use. Against machine guns or so, they can use it (and Blain had a minigun which could easily blow the pred to pieces), but not against a bare handed foe, or weaker enemy (he killed Dillion with wristblades for instance). About the laugh, I mentioned I think about it as a warning. First, just as keylight-di said, you cant think about them as humans, they find things funny or disgusting, which we not. But in this case I think he wanted to scare off Dutch (if not, he could just lay there as you said); not because he felt mercy, but for he felt a bit tribute to his foe, who is weaker than him yet could defeat him. And he had the honour to spare his life.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Keep in mind that the whole 'honour' thing is non-canon. The films themselves don't support it, and many Predator fans consider the honour thing a dilution of what the Predator is supposed to be.

I believe Anytime took off his mask and threw away his plasma caster because Dutch was a thrilling target. That's the bottom line - the thrill of the hunt. Not honour, not proving oneself in combat, not collecting the biggest, baddest trophy rack. What matters to a Predator is what happens out there in the hunting grounds, moment by moment.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

The honour thing, I think, is simply mis-interpreted. Look at Pussyface. He wasn't hunting for honour, but I think he was following a strict hunting code Predators have. He's not doing it in a righteous manner but he's just following the rules.

Geraint95

Geraint95

I honestly believe that alien is better than predator. Aliens are far deeper, they are very unique and look better, as they were designed by an amazing artist. The alien films are far superior to the predator films ( alien was far scarier and tense than predator 1 and 2, aliens was a better action film than predator 1 and 2) and in general the sexual motifs of the alien, a metaphor for birth and pregnancy. The egg, a representation of an egg in the womb, but  this time it is reversed as the egg impregnates us. Then the agony of birth itself is brought (literally) to life by the chestburster. And finally the beautifully ugly creature itself, the xenomorph feels, especially in alien,alien3 and Resurrection, erotic andcurious to what it is going to kill. the sheer terror of an alien outweighs every aspect of a predator. the predator must use cowardly gadgets to kill where the alien is an ultimate being. the alien is a work of art and the predator is a rasta with a hairdryer with a gun. alien is far better than predator.
P.S: I love predator i love the films and i think he's great but no comparison to alien, thanks for reading this far please reply I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I've said ;)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: Geraint95 on Dec 27, 2009, 03:43:29 PM
P.S: I love predator i love the films and i think he's great but no comparison to alien, thanks for reading this far please reply I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I've said ;)

Prepare for rage.

Your points are completely legitimate - the Alien indeed has more depth to it, better design and inhabits one of the better sci-fi settings out there. This does not trivialise the Predator at all, but the Alien has probably, overall, gotten the better treatment.

This won't stop Predfans from raging. One of my first posts here was similar and got almost universally poor reception.

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: MadassAlex on Dec 27, 2009, 03:12:24 PM
Keep in mind that the whole 'honour' thing is non-canon. The films themselves don't support it, and many Predator fans consider the honour thing a dilution of what the Predator is supposed to be.

I believe Anytime took off his mask and threw away his plasma caster because Dutch was a thrilling target. That's the bottom line - the thrill of the hunt. Not honour, not proving oneself in combat, not collecting the biggest, baddest trophy rack. What matters to a Predator is what happens out there in the hunting grounds, moment by moment.

Yea, I can agree but partially. ;)
Thrill of the hunt is the most important matter for them, sure. But every game has its rules. If you (and any gamer) don't follow the rules of the game, the game quickly loses meaning. Hunt turns into a slaughterhouse.
One thing of which I write often. IMO Preds must have a very strong regime of behavior. As a carnivore species, probably territorial (rarely hunted in a herd) for self-preservation, they had to develop a system of rules. And they must comply with them. Otherwise, very soon there would be a destruction of the species. Aliens are completely different. They act as one body, composed of the elements which are only slightly individualized. Preds are the opposite. It is also extremely aggressive species, but extremely individualistic. Therefore, they hunt alone- to reduce competition. They are like eagles and cheetahs, not like lions or wolves. Of course, this analogy is very remote. But you probably know what I mean. As the Preds are predatory, aggressive species, in spite of this they created civilization (do not deny it, right?). So they had to work out a way interaction between individuals, which reduces competition and aggression. That thing is the concept of honor.
Probably the "honor" it is not even a good word, because it is confusing. But often it's used. In this sense the honor is refer to representatives of their own species, and - of course - the preys. The point is that the game is fun then (thrill respectively strong), if they observe the rules. Not a slaughterhouse, but the sport ground. It's what apply to us (preys), the concept of them honor.  Hunting code. It's better word.
Sure, the term "honorary hunting" and all that mess comes from books and P2. But this makes sense. Rules of behavior, the sociology of groups and individuals is just as universal law as the law of universal gravitation.
At the same time as alien Preds put before a sociologist (exo-sociologist) a double challenge. Error in logic arises when we attach to aliens behavior we apply humans measure . And they are aliens ... ;)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

So, your point is basically that the Predators use their 'code of honour' as a law system to prevent excess and conflict?

Because that's a very interesting thought.

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: MadassAlex on Dec 27, 2009, 04:01:09 PM
So, your point is basically that the Predators use their 'code of honour' as a law system to prevent excess and conflict?

Because that's a very interesting thought.
Of course.
I am a home-made philosopher and sociologist.  ;) By training I'm a biologist.

BTW I have no intention of Geraint95 rage, because he is right. So why?  ;D

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Why would there be a rage, its just a debate, but a very interesting one :)
Predators are creatures that are bound by rules, that cannot be broken, or if they are, the lawbreaker will be punished in a very brutal way. But I dont see, why would using gadgets mean cowardiance? They cannot, and will not use them just as they want to, and one more thing; we look from our perspective. If you observe the hunt as a path or something non changeable, its quite different.
I think the pred fights without its mask and shoulder canon, because Dutch is a thrilling target, Just as you said. But the thing that it throws away the mask and weapon is because of this one thing. By fighting Dutch only with blades can it prove itself, and be a "worthier" hunter and part of the civilization mentioned ahead.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed