660 (50.2%)
Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 470,586 times)

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Both alien and predator are awesome. They are iconic, ushering in a new age of science fiction, outshining the classic B monster such as giant killer ants, Pod people, invaders in flying saucers and showing us something new and fresh. Both concepts are the work of sheer artistry and talent from all involved, and both have been touched by the monster master himself, the great Stan Winston.  As characters, both are winners, fascinating audiences and science fiction fans for their unique and special characteristics.
While some of their talents might be lacking, they are made up for in other areas. Predator has durability, but xenomorph has speed. Predator has ranged, but xenomorph has melee. Predator has specialization, but xenomorph has versatility. Predator has technology, but xenomorph is self sustaining. Each one has a talent that counters the other, but the other also has a host of countering skills.
I am not biased. I look at the set of skills each has, and each has advantages and disadvantages. Yes, there are curves for some like xenomorph not having ranged and predator not being self sustaining but they even out, giving both an equal chance when it all comes down to it.
My question for predator fans is this. Isn't it insulting to the predator to diminish the challenge of what they hunt? Do not predators like to hunt things that are perfectly capable of killing them, stacking the odds against themselves and coming up with creative solutions to deal with them? If xenomorphs are so weak, why would the predator even bother? Does not diminishing the xenomorph's power make the predator seem much less like a warrior fighting the good fight and more like a cheap cheating asshole who bullies a smaller species? I simply cannot believe predators are like that.
If you carry yourself with arrogance, you make the object of your fandom look bad. What next? Are predators Jesus?
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=40493.msg1202471#msg1202471
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhI0OVs_zj0#ws

Gunflyer

Gunflyer

I gotta still go with Predator, mostly because the Predator has some sense of honor in the kill, which I respect.

Snorkelbottom

Snorkelbottom

The Alien gets my vote - the perverse connotations in its design and the mystery of its biology and genesis. truly the perfect organism.

Gunflyer

Gunflyer

Quote from: Snorkelbottom on Dec 20, 2011, 02:14:07 PM
The Alien gets my vote - the perverse connotations in its design and the mystery of its biology and genesis. truly the perfect organism.
You... admire its purity?  ;)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

A survivor....

Snorkelbottom

Snorkelbottom

Quote from: Gunflyer on Dec 20, 2011, 11:42:09 PM
Quote from: Snorkelbottom on Dec 20, 2011, 02:14:07 PM
You... admire its purity?  ;)

LOL, I admire... its macabre perfection and efficiency

Celtic

Celtic

Predators because:
-I was first introduced to them
-I love their weapons
-The have cool masks.
-Are tough and smart.
-They are just boss like that.

fry1236

fry1236

Quote from: Celtic on Jan 01, 2012, 09:48:38 PM
Predators because:
-I was first introduced to them
-I love their weapons
-The have cool masks.
-Are tough and smart.
-They are just boss like that.

↑ Same here.

Nethead25

Nethead25

Aliens for me, just so badass scary  ;D

fry1236

fry1236

And a little cute  ;D

SizzyBubbles

SizzyBubbles

Quote from: fry1236 on Jan 05, 2012, 02:11:01 AM
And a little cute  ;D

THE ARE ADORABLE. OH GOD.

black, slimy, spooky, no eyes, vicious jaws, bio-mechanical looking... sounds like a lovely beast to me

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

And they rape you too.
Isn't that right Lambert?

Pwecious.  :-*

SizzyBubbles

SizzyBubbles

Quote from: TheMonolith on Jan 05, 2012, 02:58:53 AM
And they rape you too.

Faaaaantastic

Spoiler
rapetastic
[close]

fry1236

fry1236

And they rape you too.

:laugh: She's so funny when she's scared  ;D

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: fry1236 on Jan 05, 2012, 06:29:23 AM
And they rape you too.

:laugh: She's so funny when she's scared  ;D

We never see what happens to her, we just see the tail about to stab her in the back and then we hear a scream. Its speculated that she was paralysed since in the novels (which i consider non-canon like the comics and games) the tail of an alien is poisonous and can render a human unconscious, which is what happened to gorman in the novel of aliens. Well since the ship blew up she is definitely dead.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed