What Is Canon & Should We Care About It? Fting. Author Alex White - AvP Galaxy Podcast #184

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 13, 2024, 04:26:54 PM

Author
What Is Canon & Should We Care About It? Fting. Author Alex White - AvP Galaxy Podcast #184 (Read 4,585 times)

SiL

It's not that it's unsolvable that's the issue; it's that it needs solving.

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on May 16, 2024, 09:04:36 AMEvery film's burster has looked different. It doesn't tell us anything other than the directors wanted something specific.

Still, Covenant one was a BIG departure in comparision to the other ones

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on May 16, 2024, 12:00:39 PMStill, Covenant one was a BIG departure in comparision to the other ones
Because Scott wanted something specific, not because he was trying to say it's a different kind of Alien.

Kradan

Did he came up with the idea it should look like a marionette or was the idea presented to him and he went "OK, let's do this one" ?

SM

SM

Quote from: Kradan on May 16, 2024, 12:00:39 PM
Quote from: SiL on May 16, 2024, 09:04:36 AMEvery film's burster has looked different. It doesn't tell us anything other than the directors wanted something specific.

Still, Covenant one was a BIG departure in comparision to the other ones

The only departure was behaviour. Physically it was similar to the Fiorina creature or Ripley's Queen. Fair way from Kane's original that had little nubs instead arms and no legs.

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on May 16, 2024, 12:15:21 PMDid he came up with the idea it should look like a marionette or was the idea presented to him and he went "OK, let's do this one" ?
I'm not sure, but it feels like a Scott idea.

Slutty Badger

The Imp even looks like an example of accelerated development, seeing as it's pretty much a miniaturized version of its adult form.

dnicholson277

Quote from: SiL on May 15, 2024, 09:09:45 PM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on May 15, 2024, 08:49:10 PM
Quote from: dnicholson277 on May 15, 2024, 08:05:12 PMbut people make excuses.

Praetomorph life cycle is faster than the regular Xeno, deal with it.
Those distinctions don't exist in the movies, deal with it.

If it wasn't Sir Ridders the fandom would be going crazy over the changes.

The Cruentus

I think those changes piss people off regardless of whether it was Ridley's idea or not.
That all being said, it does seem like the knife is twisted more when the guy that was at least partly responsible for how good Alien is, managed to screw the lore even worse than AVP ever did.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: dnicholson277 on May 16, 2024, 08:25:31 PMIf it wasn't Sir Ridders the fandom would be going crazy over the changes.

But it is, so we aren't.

GreybackElder

Great episode! I also, loved the inclusion of Alex White. The Cold Forge and Into Charybdis are my favorite alien novels.

There are so many points mentioned here that resonated with me. The most true statement(forgive me im paraphrasing)was cannon doesn't matter to you unless it goes against your held views or goes against what you believe to be true.

That's got to be why I disliked the direction of covenant. To me Alien has always been a horror born in the deepest darkest recesses of space.  NOT something created by Engineers(or David) for that matter. Turning the Alien into a tool seems to pull back the curtain too much and make it less mysterious and frightening.

As far as cannon goes, I hold the Alien films, book and comics, and AVP as different cannons, but hey that's just me.

SiL

Quote from: dnicholson277 on May 16, 2024, 08:25:31 PMIf it wasn't Sir Ridders the fandom would be going crazy over the changes.
Not really. It gets about the same ire as AvP's microwave Aliens get.

SM

Quote from: Slutty Badger on May 16, 2024, 08:53:14 PM

But it is, so we aren't.

No - people have been bitching about it for years, so who's this "we", kemosabe?

xShadowFoxX

I wasn't going to listen, initially, because of all the things I didn't feel like hearing about was canon. And then this morning, I listened and I'm like 'this is actually a great f*ckin episode' because a lot of White's, Xenomophine's, and Ridgetop's views on it actually resonated with me. The only thing I didn't like was the idea of the facehugger providing this sort of infection rather than this embryonic implantation, like that's weird.

SM

The 'infection' forms the embryo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed