Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced

Started by Darkness, Apr 26, 2022, 08:03:14 PM

Author
Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced (Read 44,653 times)

Stitch

The inclusion of Cameron made me think I'd take a look at this, but if it's $100 for a Blu-ray, then I'm out before I was even in.

SiL

Like, have they seen the economy lately...?

Acid_Reign161

Yeah they can f**k right off with that attitude. "You either throw unreasonable amounts of money at us or you aren't a super fan". No. For that attitude, I will buy a fan-made duplicate for a crisp £10 with disc art and covers almost indistinguishable from the original where they won't see one penny, and spend the remainder of my £90+ "super-fan" money on official Alien merch instead. It's a fan project; the CEO needs to get off his god damn high horse. Anyone could do that. I contributed something to a fan-made Evil Dead project and was kindly acknowledged in the booklet. I didn't have to pay £100+ to be validated nor did I ever have delusions that I was suddenly a super fan *because* of it, nor did I become part of 'Evil Dead history' 🤣 What a complete and utter pleb.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Yeah the more I think about it the less interested I am in buying it, I'll just pirate it if I really care.

It's bizarre because I bought their "In Search of Darkness" trilogy set and it cost under $100 and didn't come with a bunch of random bullshit. Same with their FPS documentary.

I just called them out on discord because the FPS documentary was $50 and the In Search of Darkness trilogy was $120 for all 3, and neither came with posters and other bullshit. If the Aliens one was $40-50 it would be a slam dunk.

Edit, response:

QuoteAs creators we want to hang out with our backers on here, not constantly having to defend our value

Support related posts or complaints will be deleted and repeat offenders will be banned. It's just the wrong vibe
Very much makes me not want to support 'The Thing' documentary (which I was very excited for), or anything else they do for that matter.

Nightmare Asylum

And like, what about sales after the fact? I didn't back this thing, and I really don't care about having my name on the disc so I haven't been part of any wave of people putting down money on it to secure a disc now. If I want to grab it to watch it after it's already been rolled out, am I not enough of a "true fan" to be able to just order/purchase it like I would any other film? Am I still going to be paying that premium rate even once the credits have been locked?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 10, 2024, 05:09:06 PMAnd like, what about sales after the fact? I didn't back this thing, and I really don't care about having my name on the disc so I haven't been part of any wave of people putting down money on it to secure a disc now. If I want to grab it to watch it after it's already been rolled out, am I not enough of a "true fan" to be able to just order/purchase it like I would any other film? Am I still going to be paying that premium rate even once the credits have been locked?
That's the bizarre part, for an allegedly "limited run" product, their "In Search of Darkness" trilogy was offered up after the fact (that's how I bought it). My name is not in the credits. Ditto with the FPS documentary.

Mike’s Monsters

Do they want people to actually watch this documentary? I'm not even going to think about throwing $100 for a dvd. If they don't do a lower tier price I am definitely going to be finding a way to watch it for free. But maybe that makes me an anti fan instead of super. This is kind of a joke, and I hate to say it. This whole thing has felt like a vanity project.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Its too bad because I liked In "Search of Darkness". I noticed a dip in quality with In Search of Tomorrow though and I'll be passing completely on this.

Darkness

I was impressed that they had got Cameron on board but yeah, I did notice the price of the bluray being a bit high. But then they have got a lot of people on board and they aren't cheap to get all those people to participate in the interviews. They've done well to sort of get the project out there and get it noticed by people.

I know I shouldn't think like this but I kinda feel things like this should be free. It's not often I do take part in kickstarters but one of the few things I did was a Friday 13th Fan Film. I think it was $35 for the bluray and a big part of that was shipping.

Cosmic Incubation

I backed and bought the blu-ray back when they announced this, but I can't lie, all this does put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth about it.

All valid questions and concerns that they need to address and be more transparent about.

KiramidHead

I backed Samurai Cop 2 and got blu-rays of both movies for no extra charge.

Also glad to see there are more legitimate reasons to dislike these guys outside of my petty gripe about how annoying their YouTube advertising tactics are.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Apr 10, 2024, 05:19:31 PMThis whole thing has felt like a vanity project.

That's all it's been from day one tbh.

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Darkness on Apr 10, 2024, 05:54:13 PMI was impressed that they had got Cameron on board but yeah, I did notice the price of the bluray being a bit high. But then they have got a lot of people on board and they aren't cheap to get all those people to participate in the interviews. They've done well to sort of get the project out there and get it noticed by people.

I know I shouldn't think like this but I kinda feel things like this should be free. It's not often I do take part in kickstarters but one of the few things I did was a Friday 13th Fan Film. I think it was $35 for the bluray and a big part of that was shipping.

I'm also impressed with some of the folks that they got on, but yet, wonder why they have some fans on more than others. I would have loved to see the AvPGalaxy guys on this instead of some other fan sites that haven't been around as long. I also know for a fact that they didn't at all reach out to Stan Winston's old company, now known Legacy Effects, but they got ADI? Not sure the thought process here. So while I'm impressed by some names, I'm scratching my head at some of their decisions on who should be in it.

And I am also in the camp that this should be free. I'm not sure how to articulate it, but it feels like it should be free or on a streaming service to access. Hell, even a digital rental or something (Unless that's there and I've missed it). I know they eventually get these docs on Shudder and possibly Amazon, but that's a ways down the way and it's not guaranteed they'd even get it on a service.

SiL

Quote from: SiL on Oct 06, 2022, 12:46:29 AMI think it looks like fan-wanking back patting because that's how they've marketed it, not because there's anything wrong with celebrating a movie.

The amount of hyperbole, the sycophantic praise, and the strange touches of alienating members of the fandom with comments like "Aliens is undoubtedly the high watermark of the franchise" are just really unappealing.

I love documentaries that look at the cultural and industry impact of stories but when you're saying James Cameron is "the most hands on director in history", you're not setting yourself up as having a particularly good enough grasp of the subject matter to make an insightful point, y'know?
It's good to see they've continued alienating people and being up their own arseholes.

BlueMarsalis79

I have said it before and will say it again.

Nearly anything trying to ride the hype of "Aliens" appears to be f**king cursed.

I saw the same sycophantic "oh my god the greatest film ever made" shit with Colonial Marines.

It comes across as disingenuous nonsense to market a product by preying on the genuine love for it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed