Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 02, 2024, 09:03:57 AM

Do you care about canon?

Yes
27 (61.4%)
No
17 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Do you care about canon? (Read 4,942 times)

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

oduodu

oduodu

ah ty  gentleman

solace97

solace97

Canon at this point just honestly doesn't make sense. The studio should see they have colossally F'd up over the course of nearly 50 years with every movie having a significant impact or change of lure that contradicts the last. Trying to sort this out at this point is insane

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

To me they succeeded in making things interesting. 

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 04, 2024, 08:44:08 AMBut this is always the thing I come back to. Fans don't get to interpret canon because that's not what canon is. Canon is the "truth" as defined by Studios/Disney.

You asked if we care though.

Just from a personal perspective - I get most of my enjoyment from the franchise in the form of various tabletop gaming projects and the like. Because this is an inherently creative endeavour, by necessity I'll be picking and choosing what's relevant to a given narrative or aesthetic choice, and frequently this may involve telling the story I want to tell even if it's mutually exclusive with other stories I or the license holders have told.

Going back to my previous comment about the trilogy, and since I'm talking about a creative exercise, I feel I can get away with an art metaphor - When I'm painting my picture, there's three colours I'll always use, but a huge palette of other colours I can draw from if needed. The resulting pictures are self contained and, due to a lack of any accountability, may well tell contradictory stories.

When new content is released, it gets added to the palette, although how much it gets used may vary. But my relationship with the franchise is so coloured by my use of the entries as source material, not the be-all, end-all, that Facts and Rules take an absolute back seat to Vibes and Aesthetics.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 05, 2024, 02:56:31 PMAs a fandom canon is pointless to us because how many of us are going to be writing a novel, or developing a video game, or a comic in which it directly effects what we can do/what we can reference.
You're approaching it too pragmatically. It doesn't matter if fans are going to write officially sanctioned material; people like shit to make sense and canon helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

As SM said, fandom abhors a vacuum. If there's no official canon announced people will have endless arguments over what is canon because it does matter to fandoms.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

This is why Fox's lack of public announcements of it in the past frustrated people. So many canon arguments that could have easily been stopped if they had simply made it clear back then.

When they did start speaking about it, it ended up being fluid rather than static since we know that canon/continuity changes such as how the rebooted EU (Out of the shadows, Rage war and the fire and stone) was initially deemed canon but was basically retconned by Covenant.

SM

SM

Rage War and Fire & Stone were also retconned because they had Predators in.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

True enough but it was a sequel trilogy to Shadows right? They used the same lore such trimonite and the dog alien thingies.

SM

SM

Yeah, sequel to Out of the Shadows and Sea of Sorrows.  It immediately got the date wrong, when the robot sabotages the Alien experiments (using the samples from SoS), which is fairly minor.  But in the lead up to Covenant licensing made the decision to exclude any crossover stuff, so Rage War, Fire & Stone and Life & Death got excised from the rest of the existing continuity.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Was anything of value lost?

SM

SM

I still have the comics in the room in which I am currently seated, so no, not as such.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 05, 2024, 08:42:37 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 04, 2024, 08:44:08 AMBut this is always the thing I come back to. Fans don't get to interpret canon because that's not what canon is. Canon is the "truth" as defined by Studios/Disney.

You asked if we care though.

I did. And it's why do you care about something you have no control over or influences you outside of the points I brought up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed