[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 23, 2021, 08:41:07 PM

Author
[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound (Read 40,627 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

James Cameron like Peter Jackson and George Lucas, has butchered their work (collaborative projects mind you), for their "modern sensibilities" yes it is snobby and it is also the truth.

It is infuriating as this might well be the last physical media release of the film.

I will always have the energy to care about the presentation of any art.

With every pixel being altered by an artificial intelligence algorithm, I do not know if I can even earnestly say it is Aliens whatsoever, it is just an imitation of a computer.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 14, 2024, 07:29:53 AMWait, we were talking about the cover?

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Mar 14, 2024, 12:33:56 AMSidenote: The cover is complete and utter shyte too, there's not one part of this release worth a penny when fans are putting out beautiful 35mm transfers for free.

And as far as telling James Cameron what we want with our wallets, you can look to the T2 4K release as an example of how little he cares what we think.

[cancerblack]

He's made of money at this point so, yeah.

Stitch

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Mar 14, 2024, 08:53:49 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 14, 2024, 07:29:53 AMWait, we were talking about the cover?

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Mar 14, 2024, 12:33:56 AMSidenote: The cover is complete and utter shyte too, there's not one part of this release worth a penny when fans are putting out beautiful 35mm transfers for free.

And as far as telling James Cameron what we want with our wallets, you can look to the T2 4K release as an example of how little he cares what we think.
In Cameron's defence, that's a slightly different situation. The T2 4K master was not made for a UHD release, but a 3D cinematic release.

Because of the nature of 3D, the heavy DNR makes sense, so that the planes look smooth when viewed stereoscopically. It's the same thing that happened with Predator.

The problem came when they decided to use the same master for the 4K UHD Blu-ray release as well, instead of one designed specifically for the medium. Again, same thing happened with Predator. Studios wanted to cash in on the new big thing, but didn't want to spend the money properly.

The real problem is that it seems Cameron has decided he likes the way the bad masters look.  :'(

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 14, 2024, 08:59:37 AMThe real problem is that it seems Cameron has decided he likes the way the bad masters look.

Amen

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 14, 2024, 08:34:19 AMJames Cameron like Peter Jackson and George Lucas, has butchered their work (collaborative projects mind you), for their "modern sensibilities" yes it is snobby and it is also the truth.

The artists have chosen to present their art differently. It is their art to make this decision.

BlueMarsalis79

They are not the sole artists responsible for said art.

Stitch

Quote from: SiL on Mar 14, 2024, 09:14:46 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 14, 2024, 08:34:19 AMJames Cameron like Peter Jackson and George Lucas, has butchered their work (collaborative projects mind you), for their "modern sensibilities" yes it is snobby and it is also the truth.

The artists have chosen to present their art differently. It is their art to make this decision.
Yes and no.

Yes, they created it. They released it. It was made to their own standards at time of release.

It has now become appreciated by audiences, who want to see the best possible release of said version. If the audience wasn't there for it, they wouldn't get the option of the rerelease. So no, they shouldn't get to change it, because the audience for this specific media isn't asking for it.

The best option would be to release 2 versions, one that the director wants it to look like, with AI upscaling and colour timing changes, and one that's just a cleaned up version of the original. That would cost too much, though.

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 14, 2024, 09:16:52 AMThey are not the sole artists responsible for said art.
They're the artists responsible for the creative direction of the pieces. This is entirely under their purview.

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 14, 2024, 09:20:59 AMYes, they created it. They released it. It was made to their own standards at time of release.

And then were given the opportunity to update the presentation later, which they have chosen to do in accordance with how they feel now.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

To cringely quote Alien Covenant somewhat, it is my belief that the people who have the responsibility and capacity to supervise presentations of the works of others, have the obligation to present the work of the thousands of people on said projects in the best manner possible.

Not to their own specific likes or dislikes, or not to the degree they let their preferences take sole priority, even if they were the key driving force in many respects during the making.

Love or no love for what they directed, they have a duty to everyone else who created them, not to the audience- to fellowship.

Stitch

I guess we'll find out whether Cameron changing the entire look of the movie (for it no longer looks like film) is justified, based on sales. If the audience votes with their wallets, we'll know if he made the right decision.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 14, 2024, 09:28:05 AMTo cringely quote Alien Covenant somewhat, it is my belief that the people who have the responsibility and capacity to supervise presentations of the works of others, have the obligation to present the work of the thousands of people on said projects in the best manner possible.

Not to their own specific likes or dislikes, or not to the degree they let their preferences take sole priority, even if they were the key driving force in many respects during the making.

Love or no love for what they directed, they have a duty to everyone else who created them, not to the audience- to fellowship.
As someone who has worked on films you know as well as anybody else everyone is working to either the director or the producer's vision. The work of the other artists is in service of the director's vision of how to execute the work.

The director is the artist with the ultimate say about how all the pieces are combined to create the finished result. Is literally the point of their craft.

Let's be honest: if every other artist signed off on the 4K master, you'd just done some other reason to justify hating it.

You don't like it. That's all there is to it. It doesn't need to be anything more than that.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 14, 2024, 09:31:36 AMI guess we'll find out whether Cameron changing the entire look of the movie (for it no longer looks like film) is justified, based on sales. If the audience votes with their wallets, we'll know if he made the right decision.

I don't know if the pleb-o-meter is the best way to judge art, even if it's inherently commercial art.

SiL

I for one will not like the transfer more even if it sells well.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I strongly agree to disagree on this one.

I have worked on collaborative projects, when things are fair and just, everyone gets not only credited but also considered. Without the team surrounding the director or producer or writer they would be nothing. Like only recording history of the "important individuals" it skews the reality that multitudes make up the whole.

They are the director, not owner, the leader doing their own thing irrespective of how others who worked on it may feel turns something that ought to be wonderful into something ugly. 

It is also true I do not like it because of this:

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 14, 2024, 08:34:19 AMWith every pixel being altered by an artificial intelligence algorithm, I do not know if I can even earnestly say it is Aliens whatsoever, it is just an imitation of a computer.

But I believe that, like the presentations of Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings most recent transfer, to be a symptom of the above. Just taken to the nth degree.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed