[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 23, 2021, 08:41:07 PM

Author
[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound (Read 40,651 times)

SM

Not really seeing a massive difference.  Should we see a massive difference?

The matte painting of Gateway certainly looks a but more matte paintier.

Nukiemorph

Colors look more natural - people look less pink and environments look less teal. (Good?)

Detail looks sharper. (Good?)

There's less grain. (Apparently bad, but I don't really care.)

Most of the negative feedback just sounds like it comes from a stern philosophy that "GRAIN GOOD. DNR BAD." even though this AI cleanup is something in between. If AI can tone down grain without losing detail, I'm open to it.

I see a lot of comparisons to the 2010 Predator Blu-ray and that 3D T2 disc, and I don't think that's fair at all.

I've seen people claim the AI makes it look unnatural. I can kind of see that when I look for it... but I doubt it will bother me in motion.

BlueMarsalis79

You are so incorrect, the detail appears and changes frame by frame, it is a disaster because it is so utterly inconsistent.

The film no longer exists on this disc.

Just an artificial intelligence generated interpretation of it.

Nukiemorph

Cant judge that until I actually have the disc.

SM

Yeah best judge the movie when it's moving. Hints right there in the name.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It is already out there digitally, I have watched it, apart from if the disc turns out to be a- completely different transfer (which it will not) this release blows.

This thing, is a f**king atrocity.

Nukiemorph

I haven't seen anything about frame-to-frame consistency on the Blu-ray.com forums or YouTube comments. All I've seen are complaints about grain.

The only motion-related criticisms I see are from the streaming version, which is more compressed than what you'll get on a disc, so I've still been waiting for the disc to give this transfer the most fair shake.

Prez

I've seen a digital copy and I don't mind it. Good review here from Bill at Digital Bits
https://thedigitalbits.com/item/aliens-2024-uhd

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

That review is f**king shite, putting it politely.

Jaundiced with detail absent, replaced with edge enhancement, will look woeful when in motion on disc I absolutely guarantee it.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

There are some shots that look pretty waxy in that comparison. Vasquez's arm in the pull-up shot for example.

I think I've been paying too much attention to the close-ups, because honestly, I think it's an improvement in the close-ups where you already had lots of detail on blu-ray, but loses too much detail in wider shots.

Corporal Hicks

*Disclaimer - not watched the review yet, don't know details of the Tuber.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 12, 2024, 08:15:01 AM*Disclaimer - not watched the review yet, don't know details of the Tuber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezPbc6GMgBY
He says the Abyss looks pretty good, they scrubbed the details way too hard on True Lies, and Aliens is in between. This lines up with most of the fan feedback I've seen. He doesn't really praise it or shit on it, he just says it will be up to the viewers' tastes.

This guy did an update comparing the physical release to the compressed digital release. He's long-winded and only spends the first 6 minutes talking about the subject in the title, but he does point out how much better the physical version is.

Amazon says my copy of True Lies should arrive today, but Aliens is delayed until March 21st.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I skipped buying True Lies given the quality of the transfer (which is a shame because I haven't seen the movie and was holding out for the 4K for a first viewing...), but I did order The Abyss because it looked great in the theater a few months back and I ordered Aliens because, let's face it, I was never not going to get Aliens, and it seemed to be more in-between at least rather than the seemingly awful "restoration" that is True Lies.

My copies of both movies should be in by end of day.

EDIT: Literally just got an email from Amazon requiring me to verify that I still want Aliens and saying that it is being hit with a delay. So I guess I won't be getting that one today... :(

EDIT 2: Annnnd now The Abyss just delayed as well... And Aliens doesn't even have an estimated date anymore. So much for pre-orders...

BISHOP 93

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 12, 2024, 11:06:00 AMI skipped buying True Lies given the quality of the transfer (which is a shame because I haven't seen the movie and was holding out for the 4K for a first viewing...), but I did order The Abyss because it looked great in the theater a few months back and I ordered Aliens because, let's face it, I was never not going to get Aliens, and it seemed to be more in-between at least rather than the seemingly awful "restoration" that is True Lies.

My copies of both movies should be in by end of day.

EDIT: Literally just got an email from Amazon requiring me to verify that I still want Aliens and saying that it is being hit with a delay. So I guess I won't be getting that one today... :(

EDIT 2: Annnnd now The Abyss just delayed as well... And Aliens doesn't even have an estimated date anymore. So much for pre-orders...

I checked on Amazon today and here in the UK its now saying April 22nd

Nightmare Asylum

So much for pre-order guarantees! Guess they way underestimated how much these would sell.

The Abyss is apparently gonna be in tomorrow at least, but who knows when Aliens will arrive.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed