33 (80.5%)
Alien 3
8 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Aliens vs. Alien 3 (Read 10,864 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

I've always enjoyed A3, even back when it was released. Some amazing cinematography, sets, and the moody tone is on point. Some great character actors and a great performance from Weaver. Also I never had an issue with killing off Hicks and Newt.

However I'll never consider it as some kind of misunderstood or unappreciated masterpiece of cinema. It's flaws are not minor. The film is a real mess... even if its a beautiful mess.

PsyKore

PsyKore

The killing of Hicks and Newt probably depends on an individuals outlook. Their deaths can be considered callous and could be written better (something I don't disagree with, honestly), but on the other hand it does kinda suit the Alien series well in the sense that it is more grounded and tends to imitate the unjust nature of real life in many ways. And all the Alien films do this, it's just that Alien 3 shoves it in your face right at the start.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 25, 2024, 12:26:57 PMThe killing of Hicks and Newt probably depends on an individuals outlook. Their deaths can be considered callous and could be written better (something I don't disagree with, honestly), but on the other hand it does kinda suit the Alien series well in the sense that it is more grounded and tends to imitate the unjust nature of real life in many ways. And all the Alien films do this, it's just that Alien 3 shoves it in your face right at the start.

Interesting. Thinking about the deaths of Hicks and Newt, I realise the reason I really don't much like it is that it doesn't feel like it happened because of anything to do with the requirements of the ongoing story.

It feels less like it's the cruel, unfeeling ALIEN universe at play, than a capricious decision taken by management looking at a spreadsheet. I picture a suit chewing a cigar and saying "lose the kid and the marine".

Whether or not that's true, I don't know, but that's the feeling I get.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

To me it's quite obviously both I don't think the tone works with them.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: NecronomIV on Feb 25, 2024, 11:07:41 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 25, 2024, 12:26:57 PMThe killing of Hicks and Newt probably depends on an individuals outlook. Their deaths can be considered callous and could be written better (something I don't disagree with, honestly), but on the other hand it does kinda suit the Alien series well in the sense that it is more grounded and tends to imitate the unjust nature of real life in many ways. And all the Alien films do this, it's just that Alien 3 shoves it in your face right at the start.

Interesting. Thinking about the deaths of Hicks and Newt, I realise the reason I really don't much like it is that it doesn't feel like it happened because of anything to do with the requirements of the ongoing story.

It feels less like it's the cruel, unfeeling ALIEN universe at play, than a capricious decision taken by management looking at a spreadsheet. I picture a suit chewing a cigar and saying "lose the kid and the marine".

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 12, 2019, 03:55:34 PMHell, they could have given each cryotube its own personal escape pod and written the story so that only Ripley's crashed on Fury while the others didn't.

No Hicks.  No Newt.  No pointless deaths.  Ripley gets her solo adventure.  Mission accomplished.

SM

SM

Quote from: NecronomIV on Feb 25, 2024, 11:07:41 PM

It was Vincent Ward.  I don't know if he smokes cigars.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Ward's script was insane. In the best way possible  ;D

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

A solo adventure constantly undercut by "what happened to them" because the actors had stopped acting,  or at best you might get a poor legacy sequel in a few years with recasting, some tonally incongruous passing of the torch shit? (Also all the alternate versions over the years being mediocre at best.)

Neila

Neila

The studio made countless stupid decisions during the making of Alien 3 and in the end the only thing that mattered was the release date.
But I think that despite its weaknesses, Alien 3 is still a good film and deserves its permanent place in the Alien universe.
I also think it's a real shame that there isn't a making of book for Alien3 by J.W. Rinzler.

The reason is clearly that Alien 3 is not that popular and is generally considered a problem case.
From a financial perspective, however, it was not a flop and, according to David Giler, was just as successful as the first two parts.

SM

SM

It was neither financially nor critically successful as the first two on terms of return on investment.

SiL

SiL

Alien3 was twice as good as it should've been and less than half as good as it could've been.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Neila on Feb 26, 2024, 11:23:39 AMFrom a financial perspective, however, it was not a flop and, according to David Giler, was just as successful as the first two parts.

I'm not sure where you saw that, but it's really far from Alien and Aliens box office numbers.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 26, 2024, 12:45:12 PM
Quote from: Neila on Feb 26, 2024, 11:23:39 AMFrom a financial perspective, however, it was not a flop and, according to David Giler, was just as successful as the first two parts.

I'm not sure where you saw that, but it's really far from Alien and Aliens box office numbers.
Only domestically. It made more than both internationally, not adjusted for inflation, but did better overseas than domestically and cost more than both combined.

Neila

Neila

Quote from: SiL on Feb 26, 2024, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 26, 2024, 12:45:12 PM

Only domestically. It made more than both internationally, not adjusted for inflation, but did better overseas than domestically and cost more than both combined.

I was just repeating what David Giler said in the Making of Alien 3 in the Quadrilogy Box

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Ok I didn't see that, might give it a watch.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed