Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

If I had to rank 'em all, my gut reaction is usually:

Alien (TC)
Aliens (SE)/Alien 3 (AC)
Alien: Covenant
Alien: Resurrection (TC)
Prometheus

Don't dislike any of them, even taking my problems with Prometheus' execution/structure into account.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Prometheus had the best trailer though. Remember the excitement? Ah, what could've been! I still watch the trailer sometimes because I like to live in that moment before it all went to shit.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 23, 2024, 12:17:52 PMPrometheus had the best trailer though. Remember the excitement? Ah, what could've been! I still watch the trailer sometimes because I like to live in that moment before it all went to shit.

same here.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I think I never saw any Prometheus trailers, oddly. I saw very little promotion before going in the theater.

I even remember asking myself if this movie was tied to Alien beforehand. God I was clueless at that time.

oduodu

oduodu

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Agreed, it's really good. It probably exacerbated the disappointment that ensued though.

oduodu

oduodu

indeed

razeak

razeak

That trailer plus Ridley Scott's name...my poor heart can't take it again lol.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Still the best trailer I've seen, unfortunately the movie was the most disappointing cinema experience I've ever had (or maybe second behind The Last Airbender).

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: razeak on Feb 23, 2024, 05:49:47 PMThat trailer plus Ridley Scott's name...my poor heart can't take it again lol.
The disappointment... I remember talking about this movie to everyone saying how awesome it would be. The I saw it in theatres, I don't know how express the feeling, I think that it was like "that's it? After all the hype, that's all?"

426Buddy

426Buddy

Amazing trailer, still remember how hyped I was for that film.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 23, 2024, 09:15:00 PMAmazing trailer, still remember how hyped I was for that film.
Me too,I remember trying to convince myself that I liked the movie but I really didn't like it. Covenant in another hand I really like it, but the first Covenant trailer didn't had the impact that the Prometheus one did have

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

The trailer was amazing though. It just seemed to scream "ALIEN".  I really dig some of the "Prometheus style" trailers for the other films.

I really like Prometheus, and was very disappointed at the hatchet-job the podcast did on it last year (or was it the year before?) I'd love a podcast with at least one person who enjoyed the film.

It's always interesting to compare and contrast films, and look at the merits and problems with Aliens and Alien 3 (or any two of the films), but ultimately all of them have something good going for them, and they're all different enough to each other.

Thinking about the two works that are the thread subject now, I'm starting to see Aliens as a good movie and Alien 3 as a good film.

Which is to say, Alien 3 to me feels literate and more of a mood piece; Aliens feels more like Cameron's description of "20 miles of bad road".

The world-building in Aliens is exceptional: the attention to detail is second to none, but Alien 3 feels more like that it's populated with people instead of characters.

SiL

SiL

I find it hard to define the largely indistinguishable cast as either people or characters. They're cattle for slaughter.

SM

SM

They're people insofar as they're almost completely devoid of identity and personality.

Just like real people.

NIHILISM!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed