[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 23, 2021, 08:41:07 PM

Author
[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound (Read 40,739 times)

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

After watching this video, I'll be curious to see if the actual disc is better.

https://x.com/ponysmasher/status/1666857360407805954?s=46&t=9CBH0FCLqVD5zpN4_hSRXQ

Stitch

TC

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Dec 16, 2023, 01:38:02 PMSomeone finally uploaded some screenshots for comparison with the blu-ray. Click the dropdown menu on the top left for more.

https://slow.pics/c/gUfJLrcw

Lots of DNR and AI upscaling. The top and bottom have been slightly cropped and the image is vertically stretched a tiny bit. Plenty to complain about, but I think it looks a lot better than the Wax Figure Edition of Predator.

Scanning a grainy film for compression to digital video causes the resultant bitrate to skyrocket because film grain is, in effect, lots of teeny tiny spacial and temporal detail that ends up as increased file data. This is not good for video intended for internet streaming, for which moderate bitrates are desired for reliable playback.

This is why DNR is often applied to the final master before compression; it smooths out the image, removes non-subject detail, and thereby lowers file size and bitrate.

What i don't know is what the industry best-practice is when it comes to manufacturing these video masters. Do they prioritise the internet-streaming version (the one that requires the heavy DNR treatment) and then say 'f**k it, we'll use this master for the blu-ray/UHD physical disc release as well,' or do they go to the trouble and expense of creating a second master which is much lighter in DNR specially for the blu-ray/UHD release?

It will be interesting to see this 4K comparison being made again, but this time using video frames from the actual UHD disc release, and not frames from the streaming version.

Also, what does it mean when people say they have a copy of the 35mm print that they prefer to watch? Surely, this doesn't mean what it sounds like?

TC

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: TC on Dec 21, 2023, 03:05:22 PMAlso, what does it mean when people say they have a copy of the 35mm print that they prefer to watch? Surely, this doesn't mean what it sounds like?

TC

Someone scanned some original 35mm cinema prints of Aliens and shared it online  :)

SiL

Netflix, at least, uses denoised picture for streaming but actually adds grain as part of its decoding process. I wonder if other streaming services do the same.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Well this sucks.. whilst I obviously have a gazillion versions of the Alien movies on physical media, I do have all of the alien movies purchased on iTunes/Apple TV just for ease of use to watch on the MacBook or the iPad whilst travelling or on field work... I'm completely forgot that Apple "upgrades" you free when a newer release hits... I now have the shitty wax-fest version of 'Aliens' completely scrubbed of grain..it's f**king awful and no way to roll back to the version purchased.  What's worse, it's not even 4k (I assume Disney+ is keeping that for themselves) so it's 1080p and is worse quality than what was already on there. 🥴

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Dec 17, 2023, 12:46:56 PM
Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Dec 17, 2023, 12:57:48 AMI'll stick with the 35mm for those deep blues, pinks, purples, vibrant reds and natural grain;

https://i.imgur.com/mad0odS.jpg

I also have a copy of this 35mm print  :) It is "Magnificent"  I also have a copy of the D-theatre/D-VHS of the Alien Directors Cut before the re-colour grading for the Blu-Ray release so the D-VHS looks better. I stick with the 35mm print and the Alien legacy/Quadrilogy DVD's when I watch Aliens as I really don't like the new colour grading they did for that release.

Ahh, I sadly lost my D-theatre preservation of the Directors Cut when I hard drive went down (it was my go-to version of the movie) found the 19gb torrent again but it gets stuck on 89% with no seeders every time... I've seen smaller compressed rips, but it was a real loss to me that one. 😔

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Please save your money.

Prez

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Feb 02, 2024, 05:14:05 AMPlease save your money.

https://i.postimg.cc/JMfC4jq3/Aliens-6.jpg

$96AUD (that's including shipping) for us local Aussies. I've seen a digital copy of it and TBH I didn't mind it. But for that price the collection-completist in me will just say no.

Nukiemorph

Aliens, True Lies, and The Abyss UHD's have all dropped to $25 on Amazon for the moment.

TheBATMAN

Some people are reporting Aliens 4K is now available on itunes in the UK. Both versions.

BISHOP 93

Whats going on with the physica release? Amazon is now showing it dropping in December?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: BISHOP 93 on Feb 26, 2024, 09:26:42 AMWhats going on with the physica release? Amazon is now showing it dropping in December?

My pre-orders for this and The Abyss both still say March.

BlueMarsalis79

Just the universe trying to save you from this awful looking transfer.

Nukiemorph

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed