Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce

Started by MudButt, Feb 09, 2024, 06:03:51 PM

Author
Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce (Read 32,186 times)

RoguePred1987

"future" is definitely nebulous and could mean anything. it could be not-too-distant future, it could be distant future, it could be Blade Runner/Alien or Star Trek or it could be Mad Max. the choice of "Badlands" as a working title is interesting.

Xiggz456

So hyped! Great news! Seems to be a new golden age for Predator films from a release standpoint considering "Prey" came out roughly 4 years after "The Predator" so this new film will likely follow that trend of a 3-4 year gap between releases. Closest comparison would be the aughts with AVP '04, AVPR '07, and Predators'10. But a new original film and a follow up sequel is some dream come true shit lol!

Petr Švancara

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: oduodu on Feb 10, 2024, 12:15:55 AMthey kept dan in the loop. i hope they use the same script writer and build on what has previously worked. is dan the cameron of the pred franchise.?

good for the pred franchise.

James Cameron only directed one film...

Scott Conover

Quote from: The Shuriken on Feb 10, 2024, 12:36:02 AMSounds neat, not too keen on a second woman protag, would like to see a new male action star face off against the Predator again.

Who cares when they're cool af? Naru and Taabe were more badass than any of the protagonists we've had since Dutch and Dylan.

We've had like 4 (5 if you include AvPR) predator movies with dudes in the lead role... I think we can survive having two female-led predator movies back to back. And if Prey is any indication, I'm sure you'll get your fill of badass dudes in this one as well.

BlueMarsalis79

Acid_Reign161

Love the idea of a future setting; for me, I hope there are no Alien universe Easter eggs or attempt to tease a future AvP (but instead is simply used as a proof of concept with the setting).

I think I'd like to see the type of future seen in 'Dredd' - not cyberpunk or flying cars etc, just run down, dilapidated crime-ridden mega structures surrounded by the badlands, its own sort of cursed-Earth post-nuclear war or whatever, with scorching sun from climate change making it a really desirable hunting ground (playing on the "only in the hottest years this happens" from Predator 1 & 2).

I'd love to see a very gritty/grungy "90s" view of the future with characters that wouldn't look out of place in 2000ad comics, or a Rob Zombi / Spawn / Hardware / Crow City of Angels movie (that sort of feel). A total contrast from Naru, a sorta street-smart, greasy haired/cigarette smoking, ripped leggings, gun wielding ' take-no-shit survivor in the underworld with a bad attitude' kinda lead. (A female take on Rutger Hauer's character from 'Split Second'? maybe?) bad-cop vibes, with the narcotics taken from the Alien 3-esque scum in her territory lowering body temperature in the scorching apocalypse giving her an edge over the Predator.

Unlikely. But you know...

Mr.Turok

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Feb 09, 2024, 11:25:01 PMI have been extremely sick this past week, quite the pick me up to wake up to today.

Want another solo Predator videogame now as well!
Hope you recover soon.

And when I heard project, my mind also went for a solo single player Predator videogame. This has been long overdue. Concrete Jungle had a fantastic concept but just didn't hit the nail on the head that well and Hunting Grounds is just abandoned. Its now owed to us to have a Predator game that equals or surpasses in quality to the recent Alien games.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: Scott Conover on Feb 10, 2024, 01:46:16 AM
Quote from: The Shuriken on Feb 10, 2024, 12:36:02 AMSounds neat, not too keen on a second woman protag, would like to see a new male action star face off against the Predator again.

Who cares when they're cool af? Naru and Taabe were more badass than any of the protagonists we've had since Dutch and Dylan.

We've had like 4 (5 if you include AvPR) predator movies with dudes in the lead role... I think we can survive having two female-led predator movies back to back. And if Prey is any indication, I'm sure you'll get your fill of badass dudes in this one as well.

Meh. I have my preference. I thought Naru was ok, but wasn't really wowed by her. Just would prefer a male action hero to fight the Predator. It's kinda like....and this will be a little out of nowhere. Liking the original super saiyan, and just being lukewarm on super saiyan blue. I like the way things were before, while new stuff has been ok. I just like a more classical pair up.

Some Old Dude

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2024, 09:26:39 PMYep, lot of credit where credit is due to what Steve Asbell has been pulling off these last few years. His head seems to be in the right place.

I would absolutely be down for Iger being shitcanned with extreme prejudice and Asbell taking his spot one day.

Enjoy

Wweyland

Cool title, but a little skeptical about being set in the future. The Predator-only stories set in the future have been a bit mediocre.
And great that we are getting 2 movies! Maybe Dan should have done Prey 2, while somebody else tackled this future story.

RoguePred1987

A number of actress' have been voicing their enthusiasm for 'Badlands' and jumping at the opportunity to be in it. It's really awesome to see the positivity for the franchise outside of the fanbase.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed