Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 80,358 times)

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Feb 01, 2024, 11:03:56 PM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Feb 01, 2024, 01:32:47 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Feb 01, 2024, 12:31:06 PMWas there even a war?

In the RPG, yes.
What about in the books?

The newer books acknowledge the wars but don't actually talk about them. None of them so far have tried doing that which is weird.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Still Collating... on Feb 04, 2024, 02:08:01 AM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Feb 01, 2024, 11:03:56 PM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Feb 01, 2024, 01:32:47 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Feb 01, 2024, 12:31:06 PMWas there even a war?

In the RPG, yes.
What about in the books?

The newer books acknowledge the wars but don't actually talk about them. None of them so far have tried doing that which is weird.

I haven't really gone thru the RPG.. mostly because the lore is messy and I kinda disregard it anyway.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

This novel does crib off the RPG quite a bit - there's references to arms being supplied to Linna 349 by the UPP, the Accipiter dropship is mentioned, the Xinjiang travels to 17 Phei Phei, Pham Dinh gets a cameo, there's reference to the Torin Prime civil war, Chinese troops use the AK-4047, we get a close-up look at the Australia Wars, and so on.

I like the RPG, but writers seem to be using it as a crutch now, rather than writing anything original. Take the RPG elements out of any recent Alien novel, and there's not a whole lot there.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Yes the tie in has backfired really in the sense the novels have gone downhill because of what must be a mandate to include RPG elements. I imagine some authors wont be that enthused having to add certain plot points all the time to their own stories.

A shame as the RPG has done wonderful things, but definitely does not seem a coincidence Titan's largely impressive run started to decline when the two merged together.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I don't know if RPG inclusions are mandated, but I asked Andrew Gaska if he was consulted on the Bishop book and he was not. He got tired of doing consulting gigs for Titan for free so he told them to start paying him, and they said "lol nah no thanks".

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

The character based Bishop and Vasquez novels seem to be the only exceptions, possibly because they come under the seperate 'Aliens' moniker maybe, Im not sure. I would imagine there was a mandate for the others though given they all had a mini RPG scenario included.

But if that's Gaska's attitude now then hopefully the tie ins will end and they can both just concentrate on doing their own thing.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I will never be not annoyed that Inferno's Fall messed up that the Prowler and Defender are supposed to be the very same thing.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Feb 04, 2024, 05:50:04 PMI will never be not annoyed that Inferno's Fall messed up that the Prowler and Sentry are supposed to be the very same thing.
I don't know what either of those things are.

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Feb 04, 2024, 05:41:08 PMBut if that's Gaska's attitude now then hopefully the tie ins will end and they can both just concentrate on doing their own thing.
Gaska's attitude of wanting to get paid for his time and work seems sensible to me.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The Defender being the mature stage of a Runner in the RPG before Crusher, like the Warrior to the Drone before Praetorian.

The Prowler in Aliens Fireteam Elite being imo obviously another take on that very same concept, that of a more mature Runner, an intermediary indicated by the design of the crest expanding with features of the larger iteration.

The Prowler for some bizarre reason, got used as a type of Neomorph at the end of that very book, in the included scenario, that it is most definitely not.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 05, 2024, 05:24:55 AMGaska's attitude of wanting to get paid for his time and work seems sensible to me.

Well yes, obviously. I'm just referring to the topic at hand about the rpg and the books.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

You're all just reminding me of how constrained these books actually are. Like, we have the black goo, the RPG, and the films, like the books aren't necessarily allowed to stray from those sources. AS good as some of these books are, a good number of them are, in a word, sh*t. Colony War is probably the greatest example of that.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Feb 05, 2024, 10:55:16 AMYou're all just reminding me of how constrained these books actually are. Like, we have the black goo, the RPG, and the films, like the books aren't necessarily allowed to stray from those sources. AS good as some of these books are, a good number of them are, in a word, sh*t. Colony War is probably the greatest example of that.

Followed closely by Enemy of my Enemy, which runs away with the title of most boring Alien novel of all time.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Feb 05, 2024, 01:46:57 PM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Feb 05, 2024, 10:55:16 AMYou're all just reminding me of how constrained these books actually are. Like, we have the black goo, the RPG, and the films, like the books aren't necessarily allowed to stray from those sources. AS good as some of these books are, a good number of them are, in a word, sh*t. Colony War is probably the greatest example of that.

Followed closely by Enemy of my Enemy, which runs away with the title of most boring Alien novel of all time.

I should've clarified that I was referring to the whole trilogy.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Feb 05, 2024, 07:36:29 PMI should've clarified that I was referring to the whole trilogy.

Yeah. I'd throw the whole trilogy in the crapper.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed