Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 13, 2024, 12:24:45 PM

Author
Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel (Read 40,596 times)

Xenomrph

First episode post-credits scene, Hawley gives Ridley Scott a swirlie in a toilet and then shouts, "David didn't create SHIT," before walking away in disgust. He locks eyes with the camera and says, "Canon."

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 15, 2024, 06:50:47 PMFirst episode post-credits scene, Hawley gives Ridley Scott a swirlie in a toilet and then shouts, "David didn't create SHIT," before walking away in disgust. He locks eyes with the camera and says, "Canon."

You've actually seen it, haven't you?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 15, 2024, 07:13:16 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 15, 2024, 06:50:47 PMFirst episode post-credits scene, Hawley gives Ridley Scott a swirlie in a toilet and then shouts, "David didn't create SHIT," before walking away in disgust. He locks eyes with the camera and says, "Canon."

It's glorious.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 15, 2024, 07:19:09 PM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 15, 2024, 07:13:16 PM

It's glorious.
"puts gun to his head" Talk!  :laugh:

yuppy

So it just occurred to me that with this statement in this post that both the new film and this tv series are  riffing on the ourschool is new school appoach that Alien Isolation played off of. Esthetically I hope it works out in the end for both projects because no other film had done this.

Still Collating...

I'm with SM thinking this is a maybe pandering cause it's been garnering some bad vibes cause of the leaked info.

On the one hand, I like his thoughts here. Aliens are ancient, they evolved naturally eons ago, retro grounded tech as much as possible. But on the other hand, it's so annoying to keep going back and forth with the intentions. Ridley retconned a lot of old media with his prequels. Than the expanded media tried to soft retcon it a little saying that at least David didn't make them, embracing the fan theory that he just recreated them from the Engineers, but maybe there is an older more cosmic horror type Alien from which the Engineers created their own. All implied. Now Noah goes and says that he likes them super old and natural, getting us back to where we started!

It's kinda funny, kinda exhausting. Noah has some ideas that a lot of the fans here like, but then why does he insist on making it a (timewise, not story related) prequel to even the prequels? Why on Earth? Why consciousness uploading so early on in the timeline when nothing even close has been seen as far as A:R?

I mean, if it's really, really well done, we'll embrace the new lore. But some of the stuff is baffling and unnecessary so I think that there'll need to be a lot of heavy lifting to compensate for things that sound bad on paper.

Honestly, really wasn't expecting him to say this. Really don't know what we'll get. I'm not expecting much, but getting a show and movie so close together, in 2 years both, will be quite the experience.

The Cruentus

I don't think the tech has to be retro/cassette-future though, Alien and Aliens technology appearance was due to the era in which the films were made.
While the modern use of retrotech worked in Alien Isolation (a game that focused on the feel and aesthetics of the first film) The only areas you get to explore are old such as the ship you arrive in (which is the same class as the Nostromo) and the station. So it may have a in-unverse justification. Not sure how it would work in the series.

My own head-canon here is that either retro-tech became a fad at some point in the alien timeline or it was simply recycled technology that was cheaper to use on big rig ships. Perhaps more safer, reliable and power conservative than say holograms and things with big LED lights.

SM

QuoteWhy consciousness uploading so early on in the timeline when nothing even close has been seen as far as A:R?

I haven't read anything about consciousness uploading, but it doesn't seem terribly different from recording dreams, which can be played back like they did for Prometheus.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jan 15, 2024, 09:32:47 PMI'm with SM thinking this is a maybe pandering cause it's been garnering some bad vibes cause of the leaked info.
If it's pandering then I am very much in favor of it, bring on those retcons. Ridley's ideas were stupid, walk that shit back like you're Michael Jackson doing the moonwalk.

There's nothing wrong with walking bad ideas back. It isn't somehow "brave" to stick to shitty ideas and double-down and not course-correct.

SiL

Scott already backtracked reintroducing the Alien.

RIP77

And if...

Noah says that because Scott wanted to include Alien Covenant origins in the series and he told him no, that he would ignore them.

Hoah doesn't want to break canon, he doesn't want to leave out Covenant.

I'm only talking to scott as a fan and it's been misinterpreted out of context.

The context is that he spoke with Scott about the origin and we don't know if Scott wanted to introduce Covenant origin and that is why he says publicly that he ignores them. But not that the prequels were from the canon but from their plot.

It makes more sense. Noah would never say that the prequels are out of canon after talking to Scott. It's not realistic.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Jan 15, 2024, 10:24:17 PMScott already backtracked reintroducing the Alien.
What do you mean?

razeak

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 15, 2024, 03:56:48 AMTo be fair, I often wonder what West Virginia is too.
I feel attacked. I'm reporting you to the Mothman.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Briefly skimmed this thread because I was curious to see what everyone was saying in regards to the conflicting continuity and lore between the Prometheus and Covenant films, and this upcoming TV series.

Honestly?

There could be two different continuities. You have the Cinematic continuity, and you have the Series continuity. None of the two being the "Prime" canon as it's up to fans which ones they want to choose.

There's been MANY TV series which spawned off as movies, and even have the movies as the base to their canon. Highlander the Series is one that comes off the top of my head, which accounts the original Highlander as it's primary inspiration for it's continuity but largely discounts Highlander II (for good reason), doesn't seem to connect with Highlander III, but is connected with Endgame...

And then you have the cinematic Highlander continuity which pretty much goes Highlander and then Highlander III. Highlander II is ignored completely, be it theatrical cut or Renegade cut.

Why can't the same happen here for ALIEN?

Canon be damned.

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 16, 2024, 03:04:25 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 15, 2024, 10:24:17 PMScott already backtracked reintroducing the Alien.
What do you mean?
He didn't want the prequels to have Aliens in it. He was saying he wanted to go away from the original films and just explore the engineers, that the derelict was already on LV-426, stuff like that.

Putting an Alien in the sequel was done because he was told people complained about there not being Aliens in the previous movie.

So I can absolutely see him backtracking David if he thought it was deeply unpopular.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed