Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 13, 2024, 12:24:45 PM

Author
Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel (Read 40,583 times)

Local Trouble

To be fair, I often wonder what West Virginia is too.

Acid_Reign161

Well, in the interest of not derailing the thread from TV series discussion further, I shall, respectfully, agree to disagree ;D I really feel there's still genuine wiggle room in what we got to see it multiple ways (beyond copium) but I respect that I'm in the minority in that belief. 😅 Let's see what the future brings and how they tackle the issue. Despite it all, I still think I'd be quite sad to see Prometheus and Covenant get the AvP treatment - I love them as movies, even if they don't measure up to the original trilogy, and they deserve not to be completely erased from the canon; I'd sooner see a retroactive explanation.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jan 15, 2024, 04:02:21 AMWell, in the interest of not derailing the thread from TV series discussion further, I shall, respectfully, agree to disagree ;D I really feel there's still genuine wiggle room in what we got to see it multiple ways (beyond copium) but I respect that I'm in the minority in that belief. 😅 Let's see what the future brings and how they tackle the issue. Despite it all, I still think I'd be quite sad to see Prometheus and Covenant get the AvP treatment - I love them as movies, even if they don't measure up to the original trilogy, and they deserve not to be completely erased from the canon; I'd sooner see a retroactive explanation.

The film clearly saying what it says but there being some space to directly or by omission retcon it left in the meta of the thing isn't something that needed this many pages for everyone to dance around imo.

SiL

Yeah that was pretty much always the point. There is room to redo it all but that doesn't mean Covenant wasn't clear in what it was saying.

TC

What if Ridley Scott contacted me and said he is making the 3rd prequel and wants me to tell him exactly how the story should go. And then 2 years go by and I get exactly what I dictated to him. Would I be a happy camper?

Umm... I think so? Or would I?

I mean, I'd be happy that the franchise would be course corrected to my preferences, but at the same time my appraisal of Scott as an artist and storyteller would drop to an all time low.

So what is it that I want? I want Scott to do as I say but I don't want to have to tell him what that is?

Does any of this sound rational?

TC

Local Trouble

It will never not amuse me that SiL will fight to the death to defend something he clearly hates.

Kimarhi

Bros, I'm past Scott's involvement in the franchise.  I hope all this, "well we talked to him, and he agrees that it is totally fine with the changes we made here," is bs because all they are really using him for is to put his name on the title card to draw more viewers and THAT'S IT.  He doesn't know what he wants with the franchise.  When he does, he changes it through out the filmmaking process.  It's fine if there is only ONE movie, but there isn't.  I hate his constant meddling, his inability to stick with ANYTHING concerning the franchise, and how people think he's fostered some kind of masterpiece works within the franchise that isn't called Alien.  One of them IS the best movie, but one is mediocre, and the other is a steaming pile of dogshit fanfiction. 

Let him make his historical biopics, but keep him the f**k away from the Alien franchise.  PLEASE.  He's not nor has he ever been George Lucas who owned Star Wars until he sold out to Dibney.  He's just a director who was responsible for one of the three good films in the franchise.  People overrate his say on anything involved in the franchise when the only care the man gives it is whatever five second thought pops into his head at any one moment in time he's thinking about it/has been asked about it. 

If Hawley takes NOTHING from Scott at this point I'd be fine.  His constant involvement is one of the things that has killed my love for the series.  Its just another constant referencing that goes on like them wanting to always have ripley, hadley's hope, lv-426, extended main and side character family introductions, repeating of old quotes rehash bullshit.  "Well guys, we don't know where to go from here...........lets shake Scott's magic eight ball head and see what completely random and inane plot he can come with involving the series.  Fans dig that shit."

MOVE ON.  f**k HIM HAWLEY, YOU DO YOU. 

INB4 producers be like, "Well we really liked Hawley's ideas, but about midway through production, SIR Ridley Scott came up with a completely different take on the subject matter, and we just loved it so much that we went a brand new and brave direction."

Enter incoherent burnt doodoo ass series. 

SiL

Quote from: TC on Jan 15, 2024, 05:50:26 AMWhat if Ridley Scott contacted me and said he is making the 3rd prequel and wants me to tell him exactly how the story should go. And then 2 years go by and I get exactly what I dictated to him. Would I be a happy camper?

Umm... I think so? Or would I?

I mean, I'd be happy that the franchise would be course corrected to my preferences, but at the same time my appraisal of Scott as an artist and storyteller would drop to an all time low.
So how did your appraisal go when he added Aliens to Covenant? He was quite clear he wanted to take Prometheus sequels away from the first movie and the Alien, and then made it quite clear he added the Alien because he thought people wanted it back.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 15, 2024, 06:24:33 AMIt will never not amuse me that SiL will fight to the death to defend something he clearly hates.
Alien is dear to me but media literacy is dearer. Not everything exists for my convenience and enjoyment and, sure, I'll gripe about it but I'm not going to argue it's something it's not just to comfort myself.

xShadowFoxX

As happy as I am with the direction that Hawley is taking.. the overall series sounds like fanboi schlock, so my fingers are crossed that Alvarez's film will be much better.

Local Trouble

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 15, 2024, 06:55:07 AMAs happy as I am with the direction that Hawley is taking.. the overall series sounds like fanboi schlock, so my fingers are crossed that Alvarez's film will be much better.

Indeed.  I get to be happy that the prequels are being shit on, but I also get to bask in the pessimism about Boy Kavalier and Tootles.  It's a win-win.

xShadowFoxX

Sigh With Alien, I don't think there should've been prequels. Like, if they wanted to explore Alien or Space Jockey origins, should've been done in a sequel format so it wouldn't mess with the timeframe, etc.

Local Trouble

Ironically, I had fewer issues with the AvP flicks as prequels than I did with Ridley's.

They were still pretty much shit and appealed mainly to the lowest denomination of soda-drinkers, but they didn't leave me feeling like the franchise was any worse off than the state AR left it in.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 15, 2024, 07:17:08 AMIronically, I had fewer issues with the AvP flicks as prequels than I did with Ridley's.

They were still pretty much shit and appealed mainly to the lowest denomination of soda-drinkers, but they didn't leave me feeling like the franchise was any worse off than the state AR left it in.

Indeed. Those films don't leave me frustrated.

My fever dream is simply Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator vs Robocop vs TMNT. Can we have that instead!?

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 15, 2024, 07:01:39 AMIndeed.  I get to be happy that the prequels are being shit on, but I also get to bask in the pessimism about Boy Kavalier and Tootles.  It's a win-win.
f**king tootles.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 15, 2024, 07:17:08 AMIronically, I had fewer issues with the AvP flicks as prequels than I did with Ridley's.

You will be cast out for such heresy!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed