Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2023, 06:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread (Read 150,704 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Predalien39 on Jan 08, 2024, 09:28:02 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 08, 2024, 03:51:28 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2024, 01:04:42 PMAs long as the dark is not to do with the lighting like avpr lol  :laugh:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/13/a1/be/13a1be8d2281743a7808e2b9ed83ca60.gif
Not that I'm one to defend AvPR...but it was the colour grading, not the lighting.

Not to start a back and forth, but when I had a chance to talk to Dan Zimmerman back in 2014, he specifically mentioned how the dailies would essentially come in pitch black, and the color grading is the only thing that made it watchable.  They even had to have certain scenes enhanced just to be able to see anything at all.
There's video of Pearl complaining about a shot being underexposed while shooting the Alien coming through the window to kill Molly's dad.

Given Pearl is a fairly experienced DP I wonder if it was the Bros demanding things be so dark.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2024, 10:01:07 PMIt depends if they are working for an older employer, some employers do hire younglings either as work experience or minimum wage work, maybe its their first gig or something.

True, but a young salvage crew?

That seems like the type of job for a more mature and experienced bunch.

But everything depends on the context, and you are also right about there being older employers hiring young people (employees) in order to explore them, which is fairly accurate to this franchise.

But screw it, it's the future and space is no longer the final frontier, so who knows how quickly people have to adapt and mature in this new environment.

ralfy

ralfy

It's like the young mercs (well, mostly young) in the fourth movie. But I'm still reminded of that recent thieves vs. zombies film.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: ralfy on Jan 09, 2024, 12:54:30 AMIt's like the young mercs (well, mostly young) in the fourth movie. But I'm still reminded of that recent thieves vs. zombies film.

The only youngster in the crew of Alien 4 was Cal, and even then she was a robot.

All the others were not young.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Predalien39 on Jan 08, 2024, 09:28:02 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 08, 2024, 03:51:28 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2024, 01:04:42 PMAs long as the dark is not to do with the lighting like avpr lol  :laugh:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/13/a1/be/13a1be8d2281743a7808e2b9ed83ca60.gif
Not that I'm one to defend AvPR...but it was the colour grading, not the lighting.

Not to start a back and forth, but when I had a chance to talk to Dan Zimmerman back in 2014, he specifically mentioned how the dailies would essentially come in pitch black, and the color grading is the only thing that made it watchable.  They even had to have certain scenes enhanced just to be able to see anything at all.

That would have been a serious failure on the part of the cinematographer (which I doubt) and he should have been fired immediately.

The Strauss Bros. claim that the East coast prints were different to the West coast prints. Supposedly the West coast prints were actually watchable. Reportedly the wrong print was subsequently also transferred to DVD which also sounds sketchy.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Requiem was dark AF, which kinda sucks, because some of the sets of the hive actually looked pretty good when shown in the behind the scenes stuff. 

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Jan 09, 2024, 09:18:04 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Jan 09, 2024, 12:54:30 AMIt's like the young mercs (well, mostly young) in the fourth movie. But I'm still reminded of that recent thieves vs. zombies film.

The only youngster in the crew of Alien 4 was Cal, and even then she was a robot.

I wasn't referring to age but to looks. I think Call, Hillard, and even Elgyn looked young.

SiL

SiL

Michael Wincott has never looked young. He was born looking 30 with the voice of a heavy smoker.

And he was 39 when the movie was released.

Further proof Ralfy has not seen the movies.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: ralfy on Jan 10, 2024, 02:02:55 AM

I wasn't referring to age but to looks. I think Call, Hillard, and even Elgyn looked young.

Looks-wise, they mostly looked mature and aged.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Jan 10, 2024, 11:43:01 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Jan 10, 2024, 02:02:55 AM

Looks-wise, they mostly looked mature and aged.

The point is that you need to compare that to the first movie, and the prequels to the fourth one.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: ralfy on Jan 11, 2024, 12:38:30 AMThe point is that you need to compare that to the first movie, and the prequels to the fourth one.

...what.

skhellter

skhellter

I speak "crazy person" after a crazy man killed my parents and left a strange mark in my forehead when i was a baby.

I speak ralfytongue.

And what he means is that the cast of the 79 movie had the worst teeth out of any alien cast.

PortugueseXeno

I'm kind of new here, but is it just me or do people seem to have some sort of problem with ralfy?

Corporal Hicks

Let's not go off topic with that one Portuguese :)

Local Trouble

Quote from: skhellter on Jan 11, 2024, 02:16:55 PMAnd what he means is that the cast of the 79 movie had the worst teeth out of any alien cast.

That's a bold statement given Alien 3 had so many Poms.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed