Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2023, 06:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread (Read 150,668 times)

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Jan 07, 2024, 09:32:22 PM
Quote from: MudButt on Jan 07, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Jan 07, 2024, 07:38:18 PM
Quote from: MudButt on Jan 07, 2024, 06:56:05 AMI've heard vague tidbits here and there and my biggest expectation is the violence..

Anything more you can share without being spoilery?

Oh I don't have any scoops. On a Discord server for a podcast one of the hosts who has connections to the franchise creatives just said he's been told this movie is lean & mean. No big additions to lore like the prequels, it's just an alien (or aliens?) out to rip some folks apart.

This is accurate. Lean and mean, right to the point. No crazy expansions to lore or anything. There's going to be new stuff, there always is in a new movie. But it's not going to be like Covenant and Prometheus in terms of additions.

That's what I like to hear (or read)! I just want our favorite Xeno doing what it does best. Fede Álvarez is a good director and is especially vicious with the violence and horror.

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: MudButt on Jan 07, 2024, 10:46:06 PM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Jan 07, 2024, 09:32:22 PM
Quote from: MudButt on Jan 07, 2024, 09:08:35 PM
Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Jan 07, 2024, 07:38:18 PM
Quote from: MudButt on Jan 07, 2024, 06:56:05 AMI've heard vague tidbits here and there and my biggest expectation is the violence..

Anything more you can share without being spoilery?

Oh I don't have any scoops. On a Discord server for a podcast one of the hosts who has connections to the franchise creatives just said he's been told this movie is lean & mean. No big additions to lore like the prequels, it's just an alien (or aliens?) out to rip some folks apart.

This is accurate. Lean and mean, right to the point. No crazy expansions to lore or anything. There's going to be new stuff, there always is in a new movie. But it's not going to be like Covenant and Prometheus in terms of additions.

That's what I like to hear (or read)! I just want our favorite Xeno doing what it does best. Fede Álvarez is a good director and is especially vicious with the violence and horror.

Yup.

Not only that, but with Don't Breathe and Evil Dead he has also shown to be able to handle claustrophobic environments and the thrills that come with it.

But i do wonder how the tone of this movie will be.

Aliens was quite different than Alien in tone, then Alien 3 became more character drama centered and Resurrection felt even more "different", to say the least.

Prometheus had a lot of dark elements, but the tone of the movie also had some light to it.

Covenant had a good tone to it, it was incredibly bleak, so i can see Romulus having that same tone, if not even darker.

Ingwar

Ingwar

As dark as black coffee please!

The Cruentus

As long as the dark is not to do with the lighting like avpr lol  :laugh:

Ingwar

Ingwar

Never seen avpr :)

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 08, 2024, 02:11:56 PMNever seen avpr :)

Me neither. We're the cool kids.  :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2024, 01:04:42 PMAs long as the dark is not to do with the lighting like avpr lol  :laugh:

Not that I'm one to defend AvPR...but it was the colour grading, not the lighting.

BlueMarsalis79

Both really.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 08, 2024, 02:11:56 PMNever seen avpr :)

Truth be told, though many have heard AVPR from beginning to end, none have truly seen it.

PortugueseXeno

Do any of you guys and gals have any experience with the works of the Romulus actors?

Cailee Spaeny is the bigger star and has some good projects on her name (minus Pacific Rim hahaha), not to mention that Priscilla has gotten an acclaimed reception and Civil War had good test screenings.

I also remember Isabella Merced from the Transformers: The Last Knight and Sicario 2 (she was quite good here).

There is also one guy that was a part of Shadow and Bone, that is quite frankly YA trash (it does have an interesting setting though), but the actor played its part well.

The rest are all strangers to me.

Nightmare Asylum

Spaeny is excellent in Priscilla and also had a very good part in Devs. Looking forward to Civil War. I've basically forgotten Pacific Rim: Uprising entirely.

Spike Fearn has a credit in The Batman as a vandal, but I'd be lying if I said I could look back and point back at which one was him.

The Cruentus

As long as the characters don't behave as stupidly as the Covenant and Prometheus characters, that will already be a step up. So young, old, inbetween etc as long as the characters have good depth to them and are well written, then I think it will be decent.

Predalien39

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 08, 2024, 03:51:28 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2024, 01:04:42 PMAs long as the dark is not to do with the lighting like avpr lol  :laugh:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/13/a1/be/13a1be8d2281743a7808e2b9ed83ca60.gif
Not that I'm one to defend AvPR...but it was the colour grading, not the lighting.

Not to start a back and forth, but when I had a chance to talk to Dan Zimmerman back in 2014, he specifically mentioned how the dailies would essentially come in pitch black, and the color grading is the only thing that made it watchable.  They even had to have certain scenes enhanced just to be able to see anything at all.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2024, 08:40:30 PMSo young, old, inbetween etc as long as the characters have good depth to them and are well written, then I think it will be decent

There have been rumors that alude to the characters being either a salvage crew or a bunch of youngsters from a dead-end colony that want to score big in a derelict Weyland-Yutani vessel as a way to buy a ticket off-world or something like that.

I feel like, if they are a salvage crew, then they are all a little too young for it.

Or hell, maybe, it's a mix of both.

The Cruentus

It depends if they are working for an older employer, some employers do hire younglings either as work experience or minimum wage work, maybe its their first gig or something.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed