Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2023, 06:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread (Read 150,696 times)

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2023, 11:04:36 AM
Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Dec 20, 2023, 11:02:55 AM
Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2023, 10:57:02 AMOk, nothing that was said excludes that. That's still mostly a guy in a suit.

True, but the way in which the legs are built makes it seem as if there isn't a man inside.

The digitrade legs give it a more alien-feel.
What does any of this have to do with what was said about the Alien being practical?

Nobody has said it looks like a guy in suit, what are you on about?

I mean, at the end of the day, i'm just speculating, it's not like i have any inside scoop, so i don't know what is going to come out of it, which leads to my personal worries.

The only thing we do know it's that it is going to be pratical effects, so it's either a man in a rubber suit or an animatronic.

If it's a man in a rubber suit, then there is a chance that we will get humanoid legs.

I don't understand why you are being so agressive (sorry, if i misunderstood you, but since we are communicating through text, pardon me, if i didn't understand your "tone" or context).

SiL

SiL

I'm not being aggressive, I just don't understand why you're imagining problems based on what you were told. All anyone said is it's practical and you're leaping to bad looking human legs.

It can be man in a suit AND puppet AND CGI. That's the most likely outcome.

For example, the raptors in Jurassic Park were all 3. Did you think they had bad human legs because some shots were a guy in a suit?

Why not just wait and see?

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2023, 11:11:04 AMWhy not just wait and see?

Well, obviously, it's not like any of us has a choice.

I might as well come up with low expectations and then be happily surprised, but until then, this is the only place where we can discuss this movie, which is still so far away, so might as well vent everything that has been going through my mind (when it comes to the movie), the good and the bad.

But i don't think Fede alvarez has ever used CGI in his movies, so that is why i'm that more nervous, because a suit with digitrade legs could still fall into the category of CGI (in order to remove the human legs in the green suit).

The Cruentus

Personally I would prefer humanoid legs, more closer to the original design that way.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 20, 2023, 11:26:23 AMPersonally I would prefer humanoid legs, more closer to the original design that way.

Well, then, with all due respect, i hope you don't get your wish hahahah

I love the original movie, but whenever we get to the climax and Ripley airpoons the f**ker out of the airlock, i can't help myself but laugh at how silly the Xeno looks.

To be fair, it's not like they could do better at the time given the limitations, but since i'm from a younger generation of alien fans, i guess i came in with some sort of different expectations.

The Cruentus

The digigrade legs only started because of alien 3, which the Alien comes from a four legged animal. Then resurrection kept it for some reason. AVP movies returned to humanoid legs but then Covenant went back with the animal legs.
With Alien Isolation, it was done for technical reasons to do with walking animation.

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 20, 2023, 11:36:06 AMThe digigrade legs only started because of alien 3, which the Alien comes from a four legged animal. Then resurrection kept it for some reason. AVP movies returned to humanoid legs but then Covenant went back with the animal legs.
With Alien Isolation, it was done for technical reasons to do with walking animation.

Yeah, i know, but i personally still think that the Xeno looks more imposing with those legs.

The creature can be tall and lower itself to its prey level without looking too goofy, which is probably what would happen with the humanoid legs.

Also, because it takes away some of its mobility and agility.

I can't picture a Xeno with humanoid legs being as fast as it needs to be, when chasing its prey on vents or hallways.

But after this day, i'm going to start being known as the weird alien legs guy hahahaha

The Cruentus

Well it didn't need to be fast originally, they were ambush predators that used their environment to their advantage. It only started outright chasing prey from Alien 3 onward.

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 20, 2023, 11:44:48 AMWell it didn't need to be fast originally, they were ambush predators that used their environment to their advantage. It only started outright chasing prey from Alien 3 onward.

What you are saying is all correct though, i won't dispute that, but at the end of the day, it's like i said, it's my personal taste and how the creature resonated with me more.

I grew up binge watching the Alien movies back to back, instead of waiting years for the release of a new one, like so many here have, so once i got to play Alien: isolation, it simply clicked with me more, right away.

I liked how tall and imposing Stompy looked, while still being able to chase its prey, all of that in a very claustrophobic setting, so it could still ambush its prey whenever it needed to.

Stompy had an almost ballerina-like delicacy, but it still had a very serpentine burst, that i really loved.

To me Stompy was the perfect iteration of the creature, so seeing something like that on screen is what i want.

The Cruentus

Personal taste is fine, which is why I said I personally would prefer the original leg design. It is like the alien is mimicking a human.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 20, 2023, 11:52:56 AMPersonal taste is fine, which is why I said I personally would prefer the original leg design. It is like the alien is mimicking a human.

True, it looked like it was mimikcing the alien, which i guess Alien 3 then double down with it copying its host traits.

But i don't know if the legs in the original were simply them working with what they could.

It's not like they ever thought about future iterations of the creature, the franchise simply blew in popularity and financial success, so the next directors started to put their own personal ideas for the beast.

The Cruentus

Well the ones from Aliens also had humanoid feet, so I don't think it was a budget issue.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 20, 2023, 11:58:30 AMWell the ones from Aliens also had humanoid feet, so I don't think it was a budget issue.

Well, to be fair, it's not like at the time they could still do better, i think.

All movie monsters had humanoid legs, it was simply the norm.

The Alien Queen only worked because it was a giant animatronic and not a man in a rubber suit.

Not to mention that Cameron wanted its xenos to be a part of several action sequences, so he even had to go change the dome in order to not break the suit during all the chaos.

The Cruentus

That was a practical reason though, if he wanted to then he could have changed the legs. One would only need short stilts and some different close up shots to show inhuman looking legs.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 20, 2023, 12:11:11 PMThat was a practical reason though, if he wanted to then he could have changed the legs

I don't think he could.

It's simply easier to work and move around with men in rubber suits.

The Alien Queen and the Runner in Alien 3 only "worked" the way that they did because they had an entire team of people to control their movements, instead of just one person donning a suit.

The digitigrade legs are simply a far more ambitious endeavor that lead to all sorts of unnecessary complications.

But to be fair, there were instances in Alien 3 where the Runner was indeed a man in a rubber suit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed