Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2023, 06:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread (Read 150,874 times)

Mike’s Monsters

The folks who I know who've worked on it and or seen the film also echo that it doesn't feel like it's shitting on the franchise. The people who I'm in connection with have strong distaste towards the prequels and have been very happy with the new production. That Reddit post tracks with my contacts.

It really feels like they're just trying to make a solid ALIEN movie that probably won't be too controversial, but just does what it needs to do to get it right after a few flubs with previous entries. I honestly don't need it to break new ground or give us crazy new ideas, just tell a story we haven't seen and do it well. Entertain me. Treat the creature with respect.
Then if this does well, go further and explore like the sequels did.

I'm kind of seeing this like a reset like PREY did. Give the franchise a jolt of what worked and show you can do it again.

I am happy to hear that the little hints are well received! I know not everyone likes that I'm even giving any bits, but I'm never intending to spoil or ruin anything. I could simply lay out the story and give a lot of surprises is if I wanted to. But that's not fair nor respectful to anyone. I never intend to go that route. I'll always keep it very light. I can't wait to show off some of the things I own from production too. I've got photos at the ready.  8)

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 19, 2023, 09:21:47 PMThe folks who I know who've worked on it and or seen the film also echo that it doesn't feel like it's shitting on the franchise. The people who I'm in connection with have strong distaste towards the prequels and have been very happy with the new production. That Reddit post tracks with my contacts.

I like the prequels as standalones, but i completely understand why people criticize and hate it, hell, i agree with the criticism, it's just that whatever good is in those movies is enough for me to rewatch them frequently.

Mike’s Monsters

And that's totally valid! I'm not a fan of the films, but I'm able to find a lot of positives in them when I watch. They have a lot of great elements. But as a whole package, it's no wonder why they're not as well received.

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 19, 2023, 09:21:47 PMIt really feels like they're just trying to make a solid ALIEN movie that probably won't be too controversial, but just does what it needs to do to get it right after a few flubs with previous entries. I honestly don't need it to break new ground or give us crazy new ideas, just tell a story we haven't seen and do it well. Entertain me. Treat the creature with respect.
Then if this does well, go further and explore like the sequels did.

I'm kind of seeing this like a reset like PREY did. Give the franchise a jolt of what worked and show you can do it again.

Yeah, i agree.

I don't need Romulus to break new ground, i just need it to be a nice horror-scifi movie with characters that i care about and not treating the xeno as another generic hollywood monster.

And it's kind of wild to think that Disney may have some sort of influence in saving the Predator and Alien franchises, after everything that they have done to Star Wars and Marvel.

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 19, 2023, 09:21:47 PMI am happy to hear that the little hints are well received! I know not everyone likes that I'm even giving any bits, but I'm never intending to spoil or ruin anything. I could simply lay out the story and give a lot of surprises is if I wanted to. But that's not fair nor respectful to anyone. I never intend to go that route. I'll always keep it very light. I can't wait to show off some of the things I own from production too. I've got photos at the ready.  8)

Yeah, the non-spoilers scoops are cute and good for the community, so thank you for doing that without actually spoiling and ruining the work of many.

What happened with the Insomniac leak today is a travesty and i feel for the people that work there.

ralfy

ralfy

Reminds me of that zombie movie involving a heist.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 19, 2023, 09:21:47 PMThe folks who I know who've worked on it and or seen the film also echo that it doesn't feel like it's shitting on the franchise. The people who I'm in connection with have strong distaste towards the prequels

<sends Ridley Scott a memo>  ;D

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

The guy from r/LV426 that said he has a friend that worked on Romulus also said this:

"He does computer graphics, not sure his specific role on this one - i didnt pry.. (i usually don't) but he usually works in nuke doing compositing and touch ups as far as i know. And yeah the alien (s?) is/are supposedly all practical. puppets/animatronics. Im trying to temper my expectations as im typically pretty easily disappointed."

Well, if this is true, then i guess we are ditching the man in a rubber suit and going full Jurassic Park.

Mike Monster's, this was the same dude i mentioned that also dislikes the prequels, like you said your sources also hated them too.

SiL

SiL

Jurassic Park used people in suits.

The point is that they're practical. I doubt they'd be completely puppeteer or animatronic.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2023, 10:06:08 AMJurassic Park used people in suits.

The point is that they're practical. I doubt they'd be completely puppeteer or animatronic.

NOOOOOO!!!!

It seems i can't escape the man in a rubber suit legs.

BlueMarsalis79

Return of the rod puppet?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Dec 20, 2023, 10:16:20 AM

NOOOOOO!!!!

I didn't say that either.

If you have a shot from the waist up, use a guy in the suit. If you want dumb legs, cgi or puppet for below the waist - which is exactly what they did in AR

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2023, 10:44:50 AM
Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Dec 20, 2023, 10:16:20 AM

NOOOOOO!!!!

I didn't say that either.

If you have a shot from the waist up, use a guy in the suit. If you want dumb legs, cgi or puppet for below the waist - which is exactly what they did in AR

Still, cgi can ruin things quite a bit.

But i think something like this could work.

https://i.imgur.com/1SJlL63.jpg

SiL

SiL

Ok, nothing that was said excludes that. That's still mostly a guy in a suit.

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2023, 10:57:02 AMOk, nothing that was said excludes that. That's still mostly a guy in a suit.

True, but the way in which the legs are built makes it seem as if there isn't a man inside.

It's easy to work your suits around your arms because you have more freedom of movement with your arms than with yours legs, but if the legs are fully humanoid, then that breaks away my immersion from the movie (but maybe this is just more of a personal complaint than a general one).

The digitrade legs give it a more alien-feel and movement.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Dec 20, 2023, 11:02:55 AM
Quote from: SiL on Dec 20, 2023, 10:57:02 AMOk, nothing that was said excludes that. That's still mostly a guy in a suit.

True, but the way in which the legs are built makes it seem as if there isn't a man inside.

The digitrade legs give it a more alien-feel.
What does any of this have to do with what was said about the Alien being practical?

Nobody has said it looks like a guy in suit, what are you on about?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed