Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 80,359 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Dec 11, 2023, 09:26:37 PMIs was at that point that the final nail in 'I'm not sure they're taking this as  seriously as they perhaps should' was hammmered home.

What's the Alien series' equivalent of "it's a kids movie about space wizards!" that filthy Star Wars casuals like to spout so often?  I'd imagine getting bombarded with that anytime we expect it to be stone-cold grimdark.

Quote from: SiL on Dec 11, 2023, 10:45:17 PMCould you not have just linked that when I said I didn't have the book ... ?

You seem to be a magnet for cryptic answers lately.

SM

SM

I don't expect 'stone-cold grimdark' especially.  At a base level I do expect 'not shit'.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Dec 11, 2023, 11:45:26 PMIt's what happens when you try and cram in too much 'old lore' in without any real quality control.
Canberra aside (apparently), I'm not seeing the problem with it

Also when reading the RPG, "lack of quality control" is pretty far from most people's minds.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 12, 2023, 01:53:34 AM
Quote from: SM on Dec 11, 2023, 11:45:26 PMIt's what happens when you try and cram in too much 'old lore' in without any real quality control.

Also when reading the RPG, "lack of quality control" is pretty far from most people's minds.

What's wrong with Canberra anyway?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 12, 2023, 01:57:25 AM

Apparently it's a silly place to nuke if you want meaningful change, or that's what I'm inferring from SiL's posts. I'm sure he could elaborate, I'm purely speaking from ignorance here.

SiL

SiL

It would be like writing a story where a foreign power brings the US to its knees by nuking the White House. It's a bit silly.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 12, 2023, 01:57:25 AM

It's a soulless country town in a sheep paddock that's full of public servants.

I say this as a soulless public servant.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Dec 12, 2023, 03:35:14 AMI say this as a soulless public servant.

Did they issue you a Pursuit Special?

SM

SM

Nah I mainly hang out with March Hare and Big Bopper.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Dec 11, 2023, 10:45:17 PMCould you not have just linked that when I said I didn't have the book ... ?

I could have. But then how would you learn?  ;D

Seriously though, you should get the CMOM. It's pretty cool. Also, a lot of this novel will make more sense.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Dec 12, 2023, 09:01:40 AMI could have. But then how would you learn?  ;D
Given my financial situation and the current cost of living crisis sweeping the country, not by spending money I don't have on things I don't strictly need :-\

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Dec 12, 2023, 09:04:03 AM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Dec 12, 2023, 09:01:40 AMI could have. But then how would you learn?  ;D
Given my financial situation and the current cost of living crisis sweeping the country, not by spending money I don't have on things I don't strictly need :-\

That's a shame. I know what you mean, though. It's the same in the UK.

#3WEproblems

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Just finished reading and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was! IMO this was an excellent follow up to Alien 3 and the familial connection to Apone didn't feel forced. The author nailed the dialogue with Bishop/Michael Bishop where I could hear Lance Hennrickson's voice in my head with every line!
Spoiler
The same could be said about Morse and it was fun seeing him return as well as an explanation for how he got "Space Beast" out. I also liked how Michael Bishop was human until the very end which is a nice nod to endless fandom debate on whether he's an android or not.
[close]
Overall really fun read and I genuinely look forward to re-reading it! 9.5/10!

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 12, 2023, 01:37:07 PMJust finished reading and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was! IMO this was an excellent follow up to Alien 3 and the familial connection to Apone didn't feel forced. The author nailed the dialogue with Bishop/Michael Bishop where I could hear Lance Hennrickson's voice in my head with every line!
Spoiler
The same could be said about Morse and it was fun seeing him return as well as an explanation for how he got "Space Beast" out. I also liked how Michael Bishop was human until the very end which is a nice nod to endless fandom debate on whether he's an android or not.
[close]

Nice, hope I'll like it too. It would feel good to fully enjoy New Titan book again. Book should arrive in few days so  I'll know soon.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Dec 14, 2023, 06:25:09 AM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 12, 2023, 01:37:07 PMJust finished reading and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was! IMO this was an excellent follow up to Alien 3 and the familial connection to Apone didn't feel forced. The author nailed the dialogue with Bishop/Michael Bishop where I could hear Lance Hennrickson's voice in my head with every line!
Spoiler
[close]

Nice, hope I'll like it too. It would feel good to fully enjoy New Titan book again. Book should arrive in few days so  I'll know soon.

I found it to be leaps and bounds better than any of last years books. Great pacing, vivid descriptions and solid dialogue kept me glued to the story. In terms of chapter structure it reminded me of Predator: South China Sea with short, quick chapters. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts once you read it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed