Godzilla
101 (75.4%)
King Kong
25 (18.7%)
I don't know?
8 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,516,927 times)

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

I don't completely love the monsterverse films, but I quite like this balance of getting serious, dramatically impactful Godzilla films like Shin and Minus One from Japan, and goofy Showa style monster beat-em-ups in the west.

I had a lot of fun with GvK, and GxK looks like it leans even more into what made that film fun.

Minus One feels like the delicious steak dinner, and GxK is some candy for dessert.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

GxK looks ridiculous and I am here for it.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: nanison on Dec 04, 2023, 01:13:04 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Dec 04, 2023, 07:18:44 AMAnyone know why Godzilla now has a pink energy glow instead of the original blue?
It looks ridiculous.

Era of LGBTQ, next film it will be all colors of the rainbow

You know these colors existed before the internet and don't always have to refer to your agenda?

Also Godzilla was pink back in 1999.

nanison

nanison

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 04, 2023, 06:22:32 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Dec 04, 2023, 07:18:44 AMAnyone know why Godzilla now has a pink energy glow instead of the original blue?
It looks ridiculous.

You know these colors existed before the internet and don't always have to refer to your agenda?

You don't have to feel attacked by my comment.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: nanison on Dec 04, 2023, 07:27:05 PM
It looks ridiculous.

Your comment certainly reads like an attack, with its snarky "Era of LGBTQ" remark.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 04, 2023, 11:54:26 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Dec 04, 2023, 12:56:27 AMYou haven't seen it and you already know? You got some telepathic abiity of something? Hehehe.  :laugh:

Personally, I am hyped to see this. There is nothing wrong with the showa approach if it works. Toho by contrast prefers to stick with the grim and serious side of Godzilla as seen in -1 and that's perfectly fine as well. I think thats good, as audience we get the best of both worlds, we get a choice of both.

I mean after seeing the trailer, it's not hard to imagine how the movie will pan out, considering the previous 2. Lifeless 2hr long video game cutscene is nowhere near as fun as proper Showa madness. Monserverse is a tonally inconsistent mess and will probably be rebooted after this one.

Minus One is more serious in tone but at the same time it's full of cheese. Yet Godzilla himself, even if 3d animated has some proper heft and you can see that they at least tried to keep some of that man is suit effect.

I just find it remarkable how some have already decided what the movie will be like based on a trailer. Its fine if you are not a fan of the monsterverse, you are entitled to your opinion. But that bias seem to have clouded your judgement of this upcoming film. As they say, "never judge a book by its cover".

Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 04, 2023, 12:43:40 PMAh, to be 8 year old again, I remember really loving Son of Godzilla back then.
Maybe kids today love these but these new Godzilla films are no longer unique, they are variation of the same green screen fast food we've been fed for years.

Look, like I said, its fine if you dislike monsterverse films. They are not perfect and can be criticized for its flaws.

But you seem to have an issue with people liking monsterverse films here. I'm sorry to break it to you, but many Godzilla fans do indeed enjoy the monsterverse films, flaws and all. They can like both the sillier aspects of Godzilla as well as its more serious side.

Thats the thing about the big G and its appeal. There isn't a one size fits all approach to him. He can be a deadly serious terror that serves as the classic allegory for the danger of nuclear power or commentary for perceived government or social failures.

He can also be a goofier kid friendly monster that defends the Earth against other kaijus. That is also part of Godzilla's legacy.

You need to accept that you do not have a monopoly on interpretation of what is  "proper" Godzilla.

nanison

nanison

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 04, 2023, 07:35:44 PM
Quote from: nanison on Dec 04, 2023, 07:27:05 PM
It looks ridiculous.

Your comment certainly reads like an attack, with its snarky "Era of LGBTQ" remark.

I'm a harmless conservative old fashioned person and it will take a couple of years to adjust to the new era so in the meantime you have to allow my sarcastic remarks  :P

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I am very progressive person myself, but please stop with the cultural wars and politics!😅🙏

This is a space to have fun. The political threads are already waiting for your contributions in the general section of the site. :)

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Cougerboy on Dec 04, 2023, 08:07:01 PMYou need to accept that you do not have a monopoly on interpretation of what is  "proper" Godzilla.
Can't argue with that, just sharing my opinion.

Comparing the last two films from both countries, Japan manages still do outdo USA with literally ten times smaller budget. Hollywood should certainly be capable of creating a great Godzilla film but I don't think they are really trying very hard at the moment and still haven't manage to do the character proper justice (2014 was the closest, but no cigar.) Give the character to someone like Matt Reeves, I think Cloverfield is still the best modern Kaiju film.

I do like whacky charm of Showa era films but again if the classic characters are put in modern Western cgi soup, the charm is lost and it's another soulless modern blockbuster.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 05, 2023, 11:36:03 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Dec 04, 2023, 08:07:01 PMYou need to accept that you do not have a monopoly on interpretation of what is  "proper" Godzilla.

Comparing the last two films from both countries, Japan manages still do outdo USA with literally ten times smaller budget. Hollywood should certainly be capable of creating a great Godzilla film but I don't think they are really trying very hard at the moment and still haven't manage to do the character proper justice (2014 was the closest, but no cigar.) Give the character to someone like Matt Reeves, I think Cloverfield is still the best modern Kaiju film.

I do like whacky charm of Showa era films but again if the classic characters are put in modern Western cgi soup, the charm is lost and it's another soulless modern blockbuster.

The monsterverse films are fine, certainly they aren't perfect and got issues. But they seem to understand and found their audience, given the decent returns of GvK in the depth of the pandemic.

Toho offers the alternative of the more traditional scary Godzilla, which is fantastic. We get the best of both worlds, the box office is big enough for different approaches to Godzilla. And that is awesome as a Godzilla fan.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Cougerboy on Dec 06, 2023, 01:30:08 AM

The monsterverse films are fine, certainly they aren't perfect and got issues. But they seem to understand and found their audience, given the decent returns of GvK in the depth of the pandemic.

Toho offers the alternative of the more traditional scary Godzilla, which is fantastic. We get the best of both worlds, the box office is big enough for different approaches to Godzilla. And that is awesome as a Godzilla fan.

Yep, that's how I feel here. One of the chief primary complaints with the MCU (and a very valid one, IMO) is just how samey it all is. The good stuff, the bad stuff, the middle of the road stuff, pretty much all of it feels like a piece cut from the same pie.

Meanwhile, Godzilla is a franchise that is offering some wildly different takes, different tones, different voices, etc. right now. Pick your flavor, or take it all! There's a little bit for everyone going around under this umbrella in the past decade or so (so much so that even within its splintered subfranchises, you're going to find conflicting installments with wildly different creative intent).

SiL

SiL

I found a lot of stuff between 1963 and 1975 dull and painfully difficult to sit through so I feel like Legendary is sort of par for the course within the franchise.

It's big loud nonsense with terrible characters but the occasional memorable action scene.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 06, 2023, 04:05:06 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Dec 06, 2023, 01:30:08 AM

Yep, that's how I feel here. One of the chief primary complaints with the MCU (and a very valid one, IMO) is just how samey it all is. The good stuff, the bad stuff, the middle of the road stuff, pretty much all of it feels like a piece cut from the same pie.

Meanwhile, Godzilla is a franchise that is offering some wildly different takes, different tones, different voices, etc. right now. Pick your flavor, or take it all! There's a little bit for everyone going around under this umbrella in the past decade or so (so much so that even within its splintered subfranchises, you're going to find conflicting installments with wildly different creative intent).

That's the strength of Godzilla as a character, he can be put in different genres and portrayed in many different ways, serious, tragic, funny or silly, and it will all work.

Well...ok, all that said, Godzilla still has to be recognizable as a character with certain "Godzilla attributes", if you move away too far from that, then that character ceases to be "Godzilla" in the true sense. That was the problem with the 1998 Godzilla. As a generic monster movie, the 1998 movie was actually ok. Watchable, but not great. The real issue was that it wasn't a Godzilla movie. The character just wasn't Godzilla. But beyond that particular issue, Godzilla is actually quite flexible as a character.

Quote from: SiL on Dec 06, 2023, 05:31:56 AMI found a lot of stuff between 1963 and 1975 dull and painfully difficult to sit through so I feel like Legendary is sort of par for the course within the franchise.

It's big loud nonsense with terrible characters but the occasional memorable action scene.

Yeah, I get what you mean. But plenty of people, including Godzilla fans, love that. To be fair, Legendary monsterverse also incorporated elements from the Heisei era of the 80's to 90's as well, albeit not as prominent in influence as the Showa era.

Personally, if Legendary decides to feature Jet Jaguar in the Monsterverse, then that will be a stretch too far...even for me. But we'll worry about that only if Legendary ever decides to go down that silliest Showa era stuff.

SiL

SiL

Bring back Hedorah, the world is ready.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed