Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Oct 14, 2020, 08:31:32 PM

Author
Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix (Read 88,947 times)

nanison

So far Nosferatu seems to be everything I hoped it would be.
As for Del Toro's frankenstein I hope he will also go for the really thick and foggy gothic atmosphere we didn't get since the 1930s but with Del Toro I always fear there will be a bit too much modern touches in there.

End of my completely off topic thoughts

PullthePlug

Quote from: ace3g on Nov 25, 2023, 03:36:05 AMMy screening didn't have the "ice, it's a trap" line.
Nor did mine. No Christmas Eve assignation plot either.

KiramidHead

Just got back from this. Not a bad film, but definitely missing something. I feel like Phoenix's portrayal is getting a little too much shit for being cartoony, when Rupert Everett's Wellington seemingly only existed to chew every last bit of scenery whenever he was on screen.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 27, 2023, 09:51:20 PMNot a bad film, but definitely missing something.

Structure, IMO. My biggest issue with the movie was that it was pretty shapeless in how it's put together. I really dig all the pieces at play but I want something that's going to make those pieces really come together the way they should – which is why I'm so excited for the four hour version, because I have to imagine that it is going to give the movie that structure that it lacks.

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 28, 2023, 12:00:33 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 27, 2023, 09:51:20 PMNot a bad film, but definitely missing something.

Structure, IMO. My biggest issue with the movie was that it was pretty shapeless in how it's put together. I really dig all the pieces at play but I want something that's going to make those pieces really come together the way they should – which is why I'm so excited for the four hour version, because I have to imagine that it is going to give the movie that structure that it lacks.

Hopefully it's not two years away.

ralfy

If the reviewer I shared is right, there are two problems: lack of historical accuracy (probably even lack of basic history) and a weird depiction of Napoleon the historical character crammed into one feature.

The major problem appears to be the latter. The only solution to that is to come up with a more realistic portrayal focusing on one part of Napoleon's life, and if one wants to depict more, spread across more than one feature.

Nightmare Asylum

It is a weird depiction of him. He's a weird little freak in this. That's part of what the movie conveys (and Phoenix plays) exceptionally well.

littlesprout

Weird little freak puts it nicely.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Would've been a surefire hit if it included Napoleon's time travel adventure to 1988 San Dimas.

KiramidHead

He's weird but still humanized, I thought.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Having read a 1000 page biography on Napoleon before seeing this, it's interesting how some elements are actually pretty accurate while other elements are either pure fantasy (Napoleon meeting Arthur Wellesley for breakfast on the Bellerophon, as we previously speculated) or been switched around (Josephine requesting the divorce instead of Napoleon and before rather than after meeting Tzar Alexander) or otherwise modified.

The battles take a lot of artistic license, but they have to. If you read a historical account of a major battle like Waterloo, it can sometimes be a bit tedious despite the subject matter. You need a map to keep track of all the hundreds of units on the battlefield, it's an incredibly complex affair (and also the reason why Napoleon became less effective the larger his battles got due to the unavoidable need to delegate command). Often there is not much happening, then suddenly a hundred things happen simultaneously, often miles apart. Not an easy thing to put on screen.

Napoleon often came across as a bit idiosyncratic in Andrew Roberts' biography and Ridley dialed it up for the film.

You could see from his cringy love letters that he was probably going to be a bit awkward in the bedroom and his mind was often all over the place even during battles when he should have been focused on one thing only.

But in other respects, Phoenix's Napoleon actually reminded me more of his Commodus character from Gladiator.

Despite the various historical inaccuracies elsewhere, the costumes looked spot on and quite simply amazing. Wolski and Scott's cinematography look fantastic. A lot more colour here than in The Last Duel as befits this period in history complete with Scott's trademark craneshots. And no-one else on the planet does interior candlelit scenes as well as Wolski/Scott. Arthur Max and Scott's production design was top notch as always. The degree of filigree is often mind-melting at times. Martin Phipps' score was quite serviceable and suitably waltzy, martial and bombastic at times.

Bring on the directors cut!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

A few tracks from the OST has been officially released:

This one was performed using Napoleon's actual piano:

KiramidHead

I've been seeing people mention that Phipps recycled bits of his War and Peace score for this. The spirit of James Horner lives on.  :laugh:

Also, I'm wondering if naval battles like Trafalgar will come up in the director's cut. The rant about how "you think you're so great because you have boats" feels like it's lacking in context as is.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 28, 2023, 07:03:28 PMI've been seeing people mention that Phipps recycled bits of his War and Peace score for this. The spirit of James Horner lives on.  :laugh:

Also, I'm wondering if naval battles like Trafalgar will come up in the director's cut. The rant about how "you think you're so great because you have boats" feels like it's lacking in context as is.

I doubt Trafalgar would have been filmed, it would have been insanely expensive to recreate and Napoleon was nowhere even close to it.

Napoleon was notoriously inept when it came to naval warfare. In reality, the French ships were superbly built (the British fleet sported several captured French ships) but their gunnery and naval tactics were not up to par with British standards.

Mind you, Royal Navy tactics weren't really all that sophisticated, Adm. Horatio Nelson essentially just waded straight into a naval melee and used the much faster firing rate of the British ships to tear the enemy apart at point blank range.

ralfy

I get this feeling that his epics will be like that at best: close but no cigar. Should have stayed with films like Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed