7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,596 times)

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 23, 2022, 11:19:32 AM
Quote from: St_Eddie on Aug 23, 2022, 11:16:29 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 23, 2022, 11:12:57 AMNo, that's completely wrong. If you want to talk about logical fallacies or leaps of logic in Prey, you have to take the entire Predator franchise into context. Otherwise that creates the (erroneous) impression that Prey is somehow especially bag in logical issues, which it is NOT.

One absolute does not need to take the entire franchise into consideration when discussing the narrative issues of Prey.  This is a sub-forum and thread relating specifically to Prey, not the wider series of movies.  Where were you (and others like you) for Shane Black's The Predator?  How many people were invoking whataboutisms for that movie and saying "You're claiming this specific scene in The Predator or the autism subplot is illogical but the series as a whole is full of illogical moments, so therefore your argument is not valid".  It's hogwash.

I avoided that whole nonsense because that wasn't getting anywhere, was it? Just because I didn't post non-stop doesn't mean I wasn't aware of all those nasty little debates that went on here in the past. 

A sub-forum of Prey does NOT mean you cannot talk about the entire Predator franchise. A judge does not judge a case in isolation but references to similiar cases to weigh a case. Saying its "hogwash" is just avoiding the point.

I never said that one cannot talk about the other predator movies within a sub-forum for Prey.  Please stop putting words in my mouth.  What I said was that you cannot dismiss and invalidate my criticism of a narrative issue within Prey by invoking a whataboutism.  As for "avoiding the point"; I'm sorry, but is that projection on your part?  The only one here who's avoiding the point is you.  It's you who's not willing to address my critique head on.  It's you who's invoking whataboutisms (in case you don't know, whataboutisms are a technique employed in order to deflect from an issue at hand - in this case, a specific flaw within the narrative of Prey).  How does another movie within the franchise having a similar narrative flaw in any way whatsoever excuse a lack of logic within this movie?  A narrative flaw is a narrative flaw.  It's irrelevant whether another movie contained that same flaw.  It's still a flaw.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Good grief.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 23, 2022, 11:42:19 AMGood grief.

I agree.  Ridiculous.  I'm gonna leave this forum for a time.  Fanboys are intolerable at the best of times, much less so during the honeymoon period of a new release.  Bye bye.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Don't go mate  :'(  We're all well-behaved adults here!!!

Highland

Highland

To be fair it's a minor gripe for pretty much everyone. It's there, but it's not turning the Engineers into bald men levels of bad 

There's enough references to the orange tutsia throughout the movie that it doesn't seem like a WTF moment when it comes.

I think Raph standing there like a statue on one leg would have been way more daft.  :laugh:

Kradan

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 23, 2022, 12:06:57 PMDon't go mate  :'(  We're all well-behaved adults here!!!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Alrighty, that's enough. Moving on.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Dutch also plays possum and got drenched in freezing water yet comes to the conclusion the mud's why the Predator can not see him, it's no different whatsoever.

Both make a leap of logic despite an alternative interpretation being present, and then say out loud their thoughts, with the Predator nearby so the audience follows along with the story.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 23, 2022, 12:51:16 PMDutch also plays possum and got drenched in freezing water yet comes to the conclusion the mud's why the Predator can not see him, it's no different whatsoever.

Both make a leap of logic despite an alternative interpretation being present, and then say out loud their thoughts, with the Predator nearby so the audience follows along with the story.

My only issue with the mud scene in Predator is the Pred shooting at the poor harmless critter next to Dutch. Always seemed extremely harsh to me...

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 23, 2022, 12:51:16 PMDutch also plays possum and got drenched in freezing water yet comes to the conclusion the mud's why the Predator can not see him, it's no different whatsoever.

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot let this post fly by without comment.  Dutch absolutely does not play possum in that scene.  He hears the predator splash in the water behind him and start approaching.  Dutch then crawls backwards towards some branches and reaches for his weapon, but realises that he lost it during his prior fall.  Realising that he's screwed, he grasps onto two of the branches to either side and braces himself for impending death.  The predator approaches, stops and then looks directly at Dutch.  Dutch stares back at him, with lots of eye movement and facial grimacing, looking frightened. At this point Dutch has no reason to suspect that the predator sees the world any differently than he himself does.  He's absolutely not playing possum.  His eyes are fully open and locked onto the predator's own.  He's making full eye contact and quite literally staring death in the face, he's not pretending to be dead.

As for Dutch saying "He couldn't see me"; that is not comparable to Naru doing the same thing.  Dutch waits for the predator to give up searching and to walk well away from his location before making his comment.  The predator is well out of earshot at that point, whereas Naru says her line when the predator is a mere couple of feet away from her, still searching for his prey and within clear earshot.  I will grant you that in both cases, it's a complete contrivance that either character says anything, as opposed to simply thinking it.  They say their lines so that the audience will understand what is being visually communicated but at least the original movie had the good grace and smarts to wait for the predator to have f**ked off, before having Dutch say his line.

You simply cannot compare the two scenes and say that they're one and the same.  It's disingenuous.  The scene in Prey is a vastly inferior version of the mud scene from the original, executed with nowhere near the same directorial skill or writing talent.  It's actually kinda disrespectful to the original movie to say that it's exactly the same as the equivalent scene in Prey, in terms of execution.  It's like saying that the trench run on Starkiller base in The Force Awakens is executed in exactly the same creative manner and with the same level of artistic skill as the Death Star run in A New Hope.  It's bunkum.  One scene is executed with expert finesse and the other is clumsily executed and nonsensical.  It's akin to saying that an imitation from John Carpenter's The Thing has all the heart, soul and humanity of the person its imitating.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

He's staying completely still and has no idea why he's not been seen yet. 

Who am I talking about there?

Both Dutch and Naru jump to a conclusion when another's readily available, Dutch thinks it is because of the mud when he just got drenched in freezing water and stayed completely still.

Naru believes that it's because of the herb when just him staying still might be a viable explanation. As Naru no doubt knows well lots of animals hunt by movement. And then observes when Raphael Adolini moves and screams then he dies.

So what does Naru do? Lays a trap with another moving screaming Fur Trapper with a limb missing and takes the herb that cools body temperature then stands completely still to cover all possible bases.

What does Dutch do? He assumes it is the mud, not movement, and not cold water, and puts it on by a warm fire. Arguably his leap in logic's greater than Naru's by a fairly significant margin. 

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 23, 2022, 04:56:15 PMWhat does Dutch do? He assumes it is the mud, not movement, and not cold water, and puts it on by a warm fire. Arguably his leap in logic's greater than Naru's by a fairly significant margin.

What?  No  :laugh: You really are capable of some quite impressive mental gymnastics.  Anyway, off I toddle again.  I just couldn't resist the urge to reply to your previous comment.  I'm done now.

SiL

SiL

Rose tinted glasses gonna tint.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

No gymnastics involved, I'm not making any logic leaps, unlike Dutch.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed