[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 150,043 times)

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 06, 2022, 05:11:04 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 04:04:17 AM
Spoiler
I didn't think that was a special feature activating so much as the Predator remotely controlling it.

It's too vague if that's what they were actually going for - and it's not at all clear that's because of the mask specifically.
[close]

Yeah, it's extremely vague, and maybe it's just me, but I really got the feeling that was the assumption the film wanted me to make when the later stuff happened.
Spoiler
Wait, wasn't Feral speared through the back after his mask was knocked off - but the mask was still close enough to trigger the darts?

I think that's why I thought he was remote controlling the spear when Naru tried it.
[close]

immortalundead

The face redesign is growing on me, but is flawed. I feel like I may be inspired to draw a pred taking cues from this, like the extra teeth in the mandibles, but would never use this design in my own fan art. I disliked the design whenever we saw a full side profile, you got a sense of that head on a pole feeling, where as from the front or back he looks great.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 09:49:10 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 06, 2022, 05:11:04 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 04:04:17 AM
Spoiler
I didn't think that was a special feature activating so much as the Predator remotely controlling it.

It's too vague if that's what they were actually going for - and it's not at all clear that's because of the mask specifically.
[close]

Yeah, it's extremely vague, and maybe it's just me, but I really got the feeling that was the assumption the film wanted me to make when the later stuff happened.
Spoiler
Wait, wasn't Feral speared through the back after his mask was knocked off - but the mask was still close enough to trigger the darts?

I think that's why I thought he was remote controlling the spear when Naru tried it.
[close]

Possibly? I'd have to watch it again.

Wweyland

I did not have a huge problem with it, but they could have just shown the face less

Dino21AvP

The face is definitely very different from anything we've seen before, still recognizable but also radically different. I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first but it's starting to grow on me, and since this Predator is supposed to be more primitive and from a completely different region and all, I can accept it's different appearance.

CANNON

CANNON

Quote from: demoncarnotaur on Aug 06, 2022, 07:42:39 PMYou can really appreciate how much of a departure it is with these pics

https://i.imgur.com/XmuU8e4.jpeg
It almost looks like an animal from the same planet the shares evolutionary lineage, but is not the same species at all -- like humans to primates

These pictures are gold and show the obvious profound and deliberate differences between the original design and the Feral design.

Quote from: newagescamartist on Aug 06, 2022, 09:26:05 PMI love the face! I absolutely freaking love this thing. And once you see its face in motion, it sells. It looks like an homage to Winston combining Pumpkinhead with Predator. And when it's wearing its mask, the mandibles moving around give it more character, it's quite an impressive special effect. Yes, it's a huge departure from what we've come to expect visually, but it works so well imo. If we get more movies after this ( and I think we will for sure after seeing the reception ) there's no reason they can't go back to the standard predator faces if they desire. But as a standalone design, this is a homerun. He is truly an ugly brute.

I am glad you are able to enjoy the face design and take it for what it is.
I unfortunately cannot see the similarity enough to buy that the original predator design is an any way related to Feral's face.
The symmetry, structure and eyes are just way to far from relatable that to me, the two look like totally different aliens. (Strictly comparing the face)

Predator is Predator, his face is his face. I believed that his face design was the foundation for what all predators would look like. I get the idea and am on board for different variations, species, parts of the Pred home world impacting appearance but to me, this is just incomparable and unrecognizable.

Again, this is only one person's opinion, but this new Predator face tarnishes the luster of what Winston accomplished when he created that original everlasting design and, in the process, consciously ignored all identifying features of the original face, ignored the continuity within the lore and pretty much everything that therein came after.

That original design was the Predator, that face was that character's identity. Changing that to such an extreme, rewrites that character as something new and shelves the old.

overthere

But Feral is technically the old version and Stan's version is the modern one, because Feral is 400 years ago.

newagescamartist

Quote from: CANNON on Aug 06, 2022, 10:43:03 PMThat original design was the Predator, that face was that character's identity. Changing that to such an extreme, rewrites that character as something new and shelves the old.

I was getting tired of every movie messing up the face to be honest. The only three movies that got the face right were the first two and Wolf in AVP:R. AVP's faces were so bad and those were based off Winston's design. The classic Predator in Predators was soooooooo awful face-wise. It's mandibles just hung there open. The Super-preds were just eh, whatever. The Predator's Predators weren't good either. So having a new design that makes the mandibles interesting again makes me giddy. The mandibles add so much character to this new one in Prey. My hope is that this is a one off. I don't want to see another movie in this franchise with this design, but as a standalone movie, I'm super happy with it.

CANNON

Quote from: overthere on Aug 06, 2022, 11:08:23 PMBut Feral is technically the old version and Stan's version is the modern one, because Feral is 400 years ago.

I get what you are saying, and the old Stan concept is definitely close to what we have in Feral, but the executed design, the design that made it to the original movies is what I believe, introduced us to what a Predator looks like.
Hence that final designs everlasting life within the genre.
With that, the new approach does that original design a disservice and actually for me takes away from Feral's legitimacy as a predator.

overthere

Yea, I don't understand why they keep trying to improve the already perfect design of the original as if that's what we need. No one is tired of the Jungle Hunter design and asking for something else.
We want more of that.

CANNON

CANNON

Quote from: newagescamartist on Aug 06, 2022, 11:16:18 PM
Quote from: CANNON on Aug 06, 2022, 10:43:03 PMThat original design was the Predator, that face was that character's identity. Changing that to such an extreme, rewrites that character as something new and shelves the old.

I was getting tired of every movie messing up the face to be honest. The only three movies that got the face right were the first two and Wolf in AVP:R. AVP's faces were so bad and those were based off Winston's design. The classic Predator in Predators was soooooooo awful face-wise. It's mandibles just hung there open. The Super-preds were just eh, whatever. The Predator's Predators weren't good either. So having a new design that makes the mandibles interesting again makes me giddy. The mandibles add so much character to this new one in Prey. My hope is that this is a one off. I don't want to see another movie in this franchise with this design, but as a standalone movie, I'm super happy with it.

I absolutely agree with all of your opinions of the other movies. I hope you are right about this being a one-off version.

See if this face exists because it's an old version, any future movie that takes place at a point in history could feature this face under that logic. I just hope that's not the case at all.
A one-off design, I could see past.

Quote from: overthere on Aug 06, 2022, 11:20:05 PMYea, I don't understand why they keep trying to improve the already perfect design of the original as if that's what we need. No one is tired of the Jungle Hunter design and asking for something else.
We want more of that.

I couldn't agree more... Just make Predator look like Predator.

newagescamartist

Quote from: overthere on Aug 06, 2022, 11:20:05 PMYea, I don't understand why they keep trying to improve the already perfect design of the original as if that's what we need. No one is tired of the Jungle Hunter design and asking for something else.
We want more of that.

If you want my honest opinion, I just don't think they can make it as well as Winston did it. His passing really put into perspective just how lucky we were to have him in the movie industry. The dinosaurs in the new Jurassic World movies really hit home just how ahead of his time he was. No one can seem to replicate what he did 30-40 years ago with modern tech. Winston was a freaking genius.

SiL

It wasn't just him. Most of the people who actually made the Predator worked on later movies with ADI.

CANNON

CANNON

Quote from: newagescamartist on Aug 06, 2022, 11:26:09 PM
We want more of that.

If you want my honest opinion, I just don't think they can make it as well as Winston did it. His passing really put into perspective just how lucky we were to have him in the movie industry. The dinosaurs in the new Jurassic World movies really hit home just how ahead of his time he was. No one can seem to replicate what he did 30-40 years ago with modern tech. Winston was a freaking genius.

well said, and you are absolutely right...

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 11:31:22 PMIt wasn't just him. Most of the people who actually made the Predator worked on later movies with ADI.

I hear you, with that said it certainly appears they needed his vision and guidance to recreate what he established. Or to do what was done with Feral and abandon the original design for something brand new.

Turtle Boy

I fully agree with what Cannon has stated here. The Predator's design, especially his face, is not only iconic to the franchise; but to the memories of hard core fandom. It is indeed insulting to the hard work and revolutionary vision of Stan Winston, being that they completely altered the Predator's features to the degree of non-recognition. Now don't get me wrong; I am all for different versions of the design; whether that be adding or subtracting features to keep the appearance fresh and new, but this was nearly a completely different creature; and the CGI aspects were quite laughable unfortunately. It was very difficult for myself to accept this blatant atrocity - while watching, what ended up to be, a very good film. The damn Predator's neck even looked ridiculous. The thing stuck out like a roasted duck or something; and his fingers looked like fat pickles. They ruined his hair, they distorted his mandibles, and they made him look like a gears of war monster from 2006. The worst thing were the eyes. They were too far apart, i'm sorry; but i'm also not sorry. I like turtles...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed