[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 156,927 times)

CANNON

CANNON

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 06, 2022, 06:07:35 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 06, 2022, 05:52:27 PMSo I have to ask regarding Feral..

Is he our version of Godzilla 1998, except he was in a movie that was... from what I'm seeing on Facebook groups, generally considered OKAY?

Just watch the movie! The amount of time you spend here asking these questions, you could easily watch the film and have them answered for yourself and decide on your own terms. Not letting anyone's post sway you.

I'm in the club right in the middle. I like it, but don't love it. After the 3rd viewing I can say I like him more than Mr. Black's face, and he was right above Upgrade. Feral is right in the middle for me. The eye placement may have to grow on me a little. But I lean more towards liking than disliking.

I can agree and I too will absolutely try to justify and try my best to grow into looking past the face. Especially because I genuinely really enjoyed the movie.
Its just aggravating to say the least when they take an amazing well established and iconic design done by a legendary Stan Winston and decide to intentionally reinvent that design and in the process lose the identity of the Predators establishing features in which made it so unique and special.

happypred

I think the artist who drew that Predator/Aliens/Batman/Superman comic and the AvP portion of Fire and Stone couldnt get the predator face right, kinda like Prey...but Prey went even further

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 06, 2022, 03:28:20 PMFrom what I've read with interviews from Trachtenberg, he started out with the idea that the concept artists should start off with drawing creatures which were NOT the Predator, and he reeled it back each time to make it something which resembled a Predator...

If you ask me, this was... the wrong way to approach the design of the creature for this film.
Yikes, wow, that's ass backwards.

Quote from: happypred on Aug 06, 2022, 06:26:11 PMHe looks like a Sangheili period
This.

The Shuriken

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 06, 2022, 05:52:27 PMSo I have to ask regarding Feral..

Is he our version of Godzilla 1998, except he was in a movie that was... from what I'm seeing on Facebook groups, generally considered OKAY?

In all honesty...as offensive as Feral's face is...no. See because despite the horrendous facial design, Feral still acts like a Predator. Has cool gadgets and weapons like a Predator, hunts like a Predator, and has green blood.

Even with the face being a f**k up, there are still good qualities to the portrayal of the creature.

Meanwhile, Godzilla 98, neither looked like Godzilla or acted like him. He ran from the military, had no legitimate atomic breath, wasn't as big, and was nowhere near as powerful.

Feral's face is a huge misstep no doubt, but it doesn't tank the whole experience outright.

Xenomrph

My memory is already actively trying to erase Feral's unmasked head from my mind and create a version of the movie where he doesn't take the mask off.

carnotaurus1350

You can really appreciate how much of a departure it is with these pics

It almost looks like an animal from the same planet the shares evolutionary lineage, but is not the same species at all -- like humans to primates

Kradan

Kradan

It's vastly different from a traditional "Predator look" which is kinda problematic but as its own thing I think I begin to dig it

SiL

You could pass that off as a ripoff and everyone would go with it.

PredBabe

Quote from: demoncarnotaur on Aug 06, 2022, 07:42:39 PMYou can really appreciate how much of a departure it is with these pics

https://i.imgur.com/XmuU8e4.jpeg
It almost looks like an animal from the same planet the shares evolutionary lineage, but is not the same species at all -- like humans to primates

Now that is an ugly motherf**ker.

newagescamartist

I love the face! I absolutely freaking love this thing. And once you see its face in motion, it sells. It looks like an homage to Winston combining Pumpkinhead with Predator. And when it's wearing its mask, the mandibles moving around give it more character, it's quite an impressive special effect. Yes, it's a huge departure from what we've come to expect visually, but it works so well imo. If we get more movies after this ( and I think we will for sure after seeing the reception ) there's no reason they can't go back to the standard predator faces if they desire. But as a standalone design, this is a homerun. He is truly an ugly brute.

Kradan

Quote from: newagescamartist on Aug 06, 2022, 09:26:05 PMHe is truly an ugly brute.

Yes, he is indeed

The Shuriken

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 08:13:04 PMYou could pass that off as a ripoff and everyone would go with it.

Ah yes, but a ripoff of what, the Predator or Sanghelli? :P

Embry Starred

Embry Starred

Personally I am fine with it and I can buy it based off of the concept of other ethnicities exist.

The problem with scar is they tried to keep the original idea and modernize it with more human features.

Feral from top to bottom you can feel he is a more primitive predator and comes from a different region than wolf and company.

I don't love it but I respect it in this presentation and I bought it

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 08:13:04 PMYou could pass that off as a ripoff and everyone would go with it.

Will you use this design?

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 06, 2022, 09:44:56 PM

Will you use this design?
I plan to feature Predators.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed