[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 156,684 times)

dnicholson277

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 06, 2022, 04:01:50 PM
Quote from: dnicholson277 on Aug 06, 2022, 03:53:36 PMDo we think the Thomas Brothers Lawsuit was a a factor?

I have heard someone make that claim over on a Facebook group, but personally... I don't buy it.

Weird parallel with Prometheus.

Both serve as prequels but don't use the name of the franchise. Both films could have worked as standalones if tweaked. Both have a different looking version of the creature.

goose_3387

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 06, 2022, 03:34:16 PM
Quote from: CANNON on Aug 06, 2022, 03:29:10 PMI haven't heard that, and I have to agree with you. Absolutely wrong approach.

I haven't watched the movie, so I have no opinion on it aside from a few things which I read that they did. The design on this Predator being one of them.

To me... this makes the Super Predators look acceptable by comparison and I have very strong opinions about the Super Predators. This is the equivalent of what Godzilla 1998 is to the original 1954 Godzilla.

This isn't a Predator. It's a Sanghelli that's been retooled to attempt look like a Predator.

I think the best way to analyse it is this:

If someone was making a new Jurassic Park/World film and were including the T-Rex but they made it look like this...

It's still looks like, behaves like and is a T-Rex, however it's not something you that would exist in the same Universe as the original.

dnicholson277

I would have liked to see the Bio Helmet stay but get damaged in the final showdown. So you can see its eye.

It looks like a rushed CGI design to try something different.

I don't need the mask to come off every film just because.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 06, 2022, 03:28:20 PMFrom what I've read with interviews from Trachtenberg, he started out with the idea that the concept artists should start off with drawing creatures which were NOT the Predator, and he reeled it back each time to make it something which resembled a Predator...

If you ask me, this was... the wrong way to approach the design of the creature for this film.

Yeah if that's true, definitely not the way to go about designing a Predator. What should be done IMO is just ask your artists to draw normal Predators and put their own spin on it, adding different features here and there. But not diverging too far. Then piece all the different variations together.

Stitch

You need a middle option. I don't like or dislike it. It's definitely different, but we knew that it was going to be from the beginning.
I don't think it's as good as the original or P2, but I dislike the super predator design more.

Jacku

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 06, 2022, 02:20:25 PMThe thing about Feral that makes him acceptable is that he isn't meant to be a "superior" (Like Berserkers and Assassin) or the same version (Scar, Fugitive) as Jungle Hunter, he is his own separate thing

Hopefully a potential sequel doesn't have this new design easily kill OG style Predators. I'd actually prefer to see this wildly different faced Predator working with a lost tribe style Predator.

For now I'm looking at this new face like a Darkhorse Comic. In that it's just a different artist drawing a Predator with their own style. Really wish the top half was more Predator esque though. It's too monstrous for me to accept them as the same species.

RakaiThwei

So I have to ask regarding Feral..

Is he our version of Godzilla 1998, except he was in a movie that was... from what I'm seeing on Facebook groups, generally considered OKAY?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Jacku on Aug 06, 2022, 05:23:07 PMlike a Darkhorse Comic.

That's a good descriptor for the whole movie, honestly. Prey really owns that sort of pulpy adventure flavor, and that rocks.

CANNON

Quote from: The Shuriken on Aug 06, 2022, 05:09:05 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 06, 2022, 03:28:20 PMFrom what I've read with interviews from Trachtenberg, he started out with the idea that the concept artists should start off with drawing creatures which were NOT the Predator, and he reeled it back each time to make it something which resembled a Predator...

If you ask me, this was... the wrong way to approach the design of the creature for this film.

Yeah if that's true. Definitely not the way to go about designing a Predator. What you should be done IMO is just ask your artists to draw normal Predators and put their own spin on it, adding different features here and there. But not diverging too far. Then piece all the different variations together.

Absolutely would have made so much more sense and followed the existing original predator design in a much more accurate way while making it "new" and updated instead of this deliberately unrecognizable Ferel.

RakaiThwei

So I have to ask regarding Feral..

Is he our version of Godzilla 1998, except he was in a movie that was... from what I'm seeing on Facebook groups, generally considered OKAY?

marrerom

The face was ok. Looks like a mutant predator to be honest, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the film.

I will say this, the mask with visible mandibles really kicked ass. It's definitely My favorite mask design out of the entire series.

CANNON

Quote from: Stitch on Aug 06, 2022, 05:18:44 PMYou need a middle option. I don't like or dislike it. It's definitely different, but we knew that it was going to be from the beginning.
I don't think it's as good as the original or P2, but I dislike the super predator design more.

Your absolutely right, I added the middle option to the poll.

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 06, 2022, 05:52:27 PMSo I have to ask regarding Feral..

Just watch the movie! The amount of time you spend here asking these questions, you could easily watch the film and have them answered for yourself and decide on your own terms. Not letting anyone's post sway you.

I'm in the club right in the middle. I like it, but don't love it. After the 3rd viewing I can say I like him more than Mr. Black's face, and he was right above Upgrade. Feral is right in the middle for me. The eye placement may have to grow on me a little. But I lean more towards liking than disliking.

carnotaurus1350

My largest issue is it feels like an entire reimagining, almost like 343 took over Halo and redid every species often times drastically changing what made them unique to look more monstrous.

The artist who designed it is great: Michael Vincent -- but his art has a very unique style which the Predators face wholly adopted, giving it a more stylized look.

happypred

He looks like a Sangheili period

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed