10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 155,771 times)

Lefty

Lefty

I liked it a lot, overall. Shot really well and there was certainly plenty of action. I have gripes, nit picks and head scratching moments, right now I rank it below Predator 2 and Predators, which I enjoy a lot. I need to watch it again, for sure.

Feral does come off more animalistic and single minded, both in looks and in his movements. I enjoyed it at first, but honestly about 2/3 through the movie I was really missing that more calculating and observant nature we've seen in other predators. He felt kind of flat footed and very brute-ish. I think it worked okay for this film but it was a little more one note than I would have liked.

Planning to watch it again with the Comanche dub soon. Overall I think it was a pleasantly solid installment.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: GreybackElder on Aug 06, 2022, 02:30:25 PM
Spoiler
Is anyone else relieved that there was no Predator/Human team up? I'm over that. The alliances make the predator so much less mysterious.
[close]
They're saving that for the sequel.
Spoiler
Naru and Greyback will team up to take on the Sasquatch, and she'll give the gun to him with her dying breath because he's done so well...
[close]

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

So I have a minor nitpick, but did Feral's cloak look odd to anyone else? It also seemed liked you could see Feral through the cloak more often than in the other movies.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 06, 2022, 05:46:49 PMSo I have a minor nitpick, but did Feral's cloak look odd to anyone else? It also seemed liked you could see Feral through the cloak more often than in the other movies.

You definitely could. I took that to be the film's way of showing a more antiquated version of the cloaking tech.

GreybackElder

GreybackElder

Quote from: Stitch on Aug 06, 2022, 05:34:38 PM
Quote from: GreybackElder on Aug 06, 2022, 02:30:25 PM
Spoiler
Is anyone else relieved that there was no Predator/Human team up? I'm over that. The alliances make the predator so much less mysterious.
[close]
They're saving that for the sequel.
Spoiler
Naru and Greyback will team up to take on the Sasquatch, and she'll give the gun to him with her dying breath because he's done so well...
[close]

I mean if there as sasquatches count me in.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 06, 2022, 05:48:28 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 06, 2022, 05:46:49 PMSo I have a minor nitpick, but did Feral's cloak look odd to anyone else? It also seemed liked you could see Feral through the cloak more often than in the other movies.

You definitely could. I took that to be the film's way of showing a more antiquated version of the cloaking tech.

Yeah I agree. It also did seem to flicker and fluctuate when Feral was attacked.

Kailem

Kailem

Same. Not only did it give off a red shimmer rather than blue, it seemed like it was broken up a lot by physical contact with the environment, like when the ash in the "trap" scene totally broke it apart (even if it seemed slightly more reliable in the water than the modern versions we've seen).

I thought it was a cool way of letting on that it was a different, earlier version of the cloak without having to do any clunky exposition or have a lam cop-out excuse of "they haven't invented cloaking tech yet."

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: overthere on Aug 06, 2022, 07:22:03 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 06, 2022, 07:16:02 AM
Spoiler
I'd argue moment when a Frenchman shoots point blank in Feral's mask and it ricochets right into his f**king face is even more so
[close]

Did it? I thought he out-dueled him

Rewatched that scene

Spoiler
Yeah, it was definitely a ricochet. LMAO
[close]

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 06, 2022, 12:09:18 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 06, 2022, 11:53:54 AMI have a question:

Spoiler
Did Naru cut off that poor Frenchman's leg ?
[close]

Sure it isn't
Spoiler
Feral's work off-screen ?
[close]

Rewatched that scene too:

Spoiler
It's a far away shot so it's kinda hard to tell but looks like he had both legs before Naru knocked him unconscious. Also, she looks at that Predator cutting thing right before doing it
[close]

LSL

LSL

It's a good movie, but it has some problems.
They exaggerated Naru's strength. That scene at the camp where she goes around beating up everyone is hard to accept. She's a rookie warrior, how can she take down 5 guys like John Wick? The Predator also has problems, I like the look of him, but he takes too much damage, all the time, and even runs away from the direct conflict with Naru's brother. I didn't like the final conflict, once again Naru being overly powerful and the Predator suffering more than necessary. It's a better movie than Predators, but it lags far behind the 1987 original.

PredBabe

PredBabe

I'm still digesting the movie but I thought it was a really good entry for the franchise. It was a much needed breathe of life to keep the series relevant and to hopefully see more future installments come with this quality of story and character.

Prey is easily better than The Predator and Predators. I still have my reserves of it being a better sequel over Predator 2 though. Maybe it's nostalgia that P2 holds but I also think City Hunter was just a cooler Predator in general.

I also wouldn't say it's better than the first film, as I've seen some reviews mention.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, I really liked the film's cloaking effect! Loved the translucent effect to it. Was a really nice way to show it wasn't quite as good as the modern stuff.

Morgol

Morgol

That's how I feel about the movie.  It's much better directed than the latest installments - the quality of the film is better, at least in terms of cinematography.  CGI was spotty in spots.  But I thought the Pred head design shouldn't have been changed, and everything after the fight with the Frenchmen in the forest was not good.  Naru turns into something she's not the whole movie at the camp - the Pred feeling the need to run from her brother felt forced...and the end fight was pretty cringy, as well as the final scene.

GreybackElder

GreybackElder

Just a thought  I had while rewatching the film:
With what little glimpses we see of the predator ship at the beginning of the film; it seems that it's more reminiscent of the ship from predators. Although I thought It was interesting that the Comanche interpretation of the ship looks more akin to the original ship!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: GreybackElder on Aug 06, 2022, 08:57:33 PMJust a thought  I had while rewatching the film:
With what little glimpses we see of the predator ship at the beginning of the film; it seems that it's more reminiscent of the ship from predators. Although I thought It was interesting that the Comanche interpretation of the ship looks more akin to the original ship!

Regarding the ship, I didn't mind its standard, bare look too much 'cause it was really only on screen for a few seconds, but I would have loved to have seen the hull of it all greebled up Mad Max style with a bunch of rusty, mechanical odds and ends from the Predator homeworld and splashes of war paint; I feel like that really would have fit Feral's attitude.

ED-E

ED-E

I just finished watching it.Overall I liked it, a nice breath of fresh air for the franchise after the awful Avp2 and Predator:Upgrade movies. Not sure where I place it in my ranking though, probably a very solid 3, but I haven't watched "Predators" for a good while (but I liked it back then). But it's definitely a good movie which non franchise fans can watch and enjoy too.

What I liked:
* I really liked the soundtrack, it's great!
* The cast was overall good, especially the main cast.
* I also liked the Predator here.
* The overall story / setting.
* The (seemingly) one shot fight with Naru and the Trappers.

What I thought was a bit odd:
* While I liked the overall story/setting, the some little things in the third act felt a bit off to me. Have to rewatch it sometimes in the future to get the full grasp.

But for example how he doesn't know how his own aim assistance works (or maybe I missed it), so the ending felt very underwhelming for me.How another Predator should felt motivated to get that gun for Harrigan now in Pred2 now (wasn't there originally another background for that?). To not end on a grumpy not, I liked how they subvert our expectation about the swamp, because I guess a lot of us thought this is a setup for the end.

Not really an issue about the film but with my new tv it seems:
* Weirdly some shots looked like they were raw footage.without any post-processing/color grading done, like a 90s soap opera. However this seems to be an issue from my new 2000€ tv cause it looks fine on the computer. Give me another reason to rewatch and finetune my tv.

HumanPredator

HumanPredator

Second best Predator film...first half was very aimless though.  Predators weapons were a mix of advanced and primitive (for plot armor)...95 percent of cinematography was great...camera shots were great...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed