10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 155,742 times)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Why is that a problem that trappers are not fighters ?

Oh and for all who yelled woke this woke that, I didn't feel that at all in the movie.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 06, 2022, 11:02:26 AMI do think the way she disposed of the trappers and fought Feral felt a bit too easy for me. Not to the extent of the John Wick/Scorpion comments though. Naru is a skilled fighter, the movie makes this point quite clear.
My problem was more how she didn't hesitate to murder people but has been hesitating to make her first predator (not Predator) kill all movie.

Like show the moment she crosses the line.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Something that really struck me here, not even attempting to characterise much beyond Naru and Taabe, most ended up more faceless than half the cast of AlienĀ³ but like that entry it works for me because... our central characters even when we are ahead of them for half the film, even though our central character suspects what's happening nearly immediately, just works because the performances are so great.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 11:11:02 AM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 06, 2022, 11:02:26 AMI do think the way she disposed of the trappers and fought Feral felt a bit too easy for me. Not to the extent of the John Wick/Scorpion comments though. Naru is a skilled fighter, the movie makes this point quite clear.
My problem was more how she didn't hesitate to murder people but has been hesitating to make her first predator (not Predator) kill all movie.

Yeah I totally agree on this.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 06, 2022, 11:12:44 AMSomething that really struck me here, not even attempting to characterise much beyond Naru and Taabe, most ended up more faceless than half the cast of AlienĀ³ but like that entry it works for me because... our central characters even when we are ahead of them for half the film, even though our central character suspects what's happening nearly immediately, just works because the performances are so great.

Yeah other natives were basically cannon fodder. But Taabe and Naru worked well. Again, to those who feared this movie would be all for women glory and undermining men, did you see how Taabe fought in this movie ? He was skilled, strong and brave as f**k !

SiL

SiL

The biggest difference between here and A3 is the characters are doing things aside from wonder about things the audience knows about while they get up to speed.

We have the whole dynamic of Naru and her brother and her tribe pushing the story in the first act.

In A3 we have Ripley trying to find out about the crash (which we know about) and whether there's an Alien (which we know about) while also trying to convince everyone of the Alien (which we know about).

But damn the acting in A3 makes all of the characters shine. That was a bit lacking here.

El Diablo

El Diablo

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 11:11:02 AM

I figured she'd witnessed so much human carnage at that point that it was just her survival instincts kicking in. Blood was in the air, so to speak.

SiL

SiL

I kind of passed it off as the old trope about how movies consider killing humans much more acceptable than killing animals.

El Diablo

El Diablo

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 11:22:19 AMI kind of passed it off as the old trope about how movies consider killing humans much more acceptable than killing animals.

That's also true. Everyone tensed up in the theater whenever the dog was threatened.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Although I'm more of a cat person,
Spoiler
I would have disliked it quite much if the dog died.
[close]

El Diablo

El Diablo

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 06, 2022, 11:27:40 AMAlthough I'm more of a cat person,
Spoiler
[close]

That dog was amazing.
Spoiler
He distracted a bear, brought Naru her the weapon in the middle of a fight and survived to wag his tail another day.
[close]

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 11:20:38 AMThe biggest difference between here and A3 is the characters are doing things aside from wonder about things the audience knows about while they get up to speed.

We have the whole dynamic of Naru and her brother and her tribe pushing the story in the first act.

In A3 we have Ripley trying to find out about the crash (which we know about) and whether there's an Alien (which we know about) while also trying to convince everyone of the Alien (which we know about).

But damn the acting in A3 makes all of the characters shine. That was a bit lacking here.

I mean, we are also waiting for the characters in Prey to get up to speed with us, it really surprised me how early and how much they show the Predator here.

We watch Naru do pretty much the same things you listed there with Ripley, and personally I think mourning Hicks and Newt then getting introduced to the dynamics between the (Dillon, Morse, Junior, Postlewaite) prisoners and (Andrews, Aaron) staff makes up for that in my opinion, and Ripley and Clemens in particular, plus Golic set up for later.

That's a whole lot more meat to chew on than Prey gives us for my money, but luckily Amber Midthunder's so good to watch that the fact the first act more offers purely visual (parallels with "Prey" and the "Predator") storytelling than much characterisation, beyond her and her brother does not bother me tons.

I'm really eager to watch it again soon. 

Kradan

Kradan

I have a question:

Spoiler
Did Naru cut off that poor Frenchman's leg ?
[close]

newagescamartist

newagescamartist

I'm probably the only one here that LIKED the face. I loved how animated this thing's mandibles were even with the mask on. This is the true monster design of the franchise and I think it worked.

Good movie. So much to write about. Beautiful score. I love the brutal nature of the monster. I absolutely loved how they made the tech seem futuristic but still more primitive than the original movies. Just solid thinking there.

My one complaint is that the movie could have breathed a little more once the action picks up. It's just bam bam bam once the Predator shows up. Those quiet little contemplative moments in the original two movies really helped the pace and added intrigue. This is why imo Prey is the third best movie behind Predator and Predator 2. It comes down to pacing and editing. That's how damn good this thing is.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 06, 2022, 11:27:40 AMAlthough I'm more of a cat person,
Spoiler
[close]

I would've applauded that actually. Not this time, I guess

Quote from: newagescamartist on Aug 06, 2022, 11:54:08 AMI'm probably the only one here that LIKED the face. I loved how animated this thing's mandibles were even with the mask on. This is the true monster design of the franchise and I think it worked.

I don't hate it, it's just so DIFFERENT I need some getting used to first

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 06, 2022, 11:53:54 AMI have a question:

Spoiler
Did Naru cut off that poor Frenchman's leg ?
[close]

Yes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed