[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 150,095 times)

SiL

The first two Predators are radically different in colour, patterns, textures, details, but built from the same framework.

You don't need to reinvent the wheel nor do you need to slavishly follow the past. There's a fertile middle ground.

ace3g

QuoteI didn't really forget. Ok people, I've started my new solo venture , Studio Gillis!

It's a full service studio focusing on Creature Characters, Make up FX, Specialty Props and Costumes, Art Projects and everything else you know me for.

I'm looking forward to carrying on the same innovative work that ADI has become synonymous with.

What about Tom Woodruff, you ask? Ask him! This my announcement dammit. Ok I'll speak for him. He's moving forward with his film projects as a writer/director/ producer and will be more hands on as an artist. He ain't done yet, folks!

And what of the venerable ADI? We will have news on that front that you'll find interesting! Stay tuned...

But back to me. As is evidenced by PREY, there are still plenty of Practical Creatures to design and create. Real characters that anchor a story in reality, making us believe they're real, because they are real! My new studio is a chance for me to reaffirm my mission to myself and to you the fans. I will, with the help of my fantastically talented crew, continue to bring you memorable Practical Creature Characters for as long as you'll let me.

Thank you for continuing to support Practical Effects! Together as fans and film makers we will keep the art alive!

Love and Monsters,
alec

[cancerblack]

The mouth doesn't bother me, and I'm very okay with the mandibles because they serve the mask, and the mask is great.

But f**k me, that eye placement...

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: ace3g on Aug 06, 2022, 12:01:06 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_2bluVPsb0
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg5Z0M_gYf7/
QuoteI didn't really forget. Ok people, I've started my new solo venture , Studio Gillis!

It's a full service studio focusing on Creature Characters, Make up FX, Specialty Props and Costumes, Art Projects and everything else you know me for.

I'm looking forward to carrying on the same innovative work that ADI has become synonymous with.

What about Tom Woodruff, you ask? Ask him! This my announcement dammit. Ok I'll speak for him. He's moving forward with his film projects as a writer/director/ producer and will be more hands on as an artist. He ain't done yet, folks!

And what of the venerable ADI? We will have news on that front that you'll find interesting! Stay tuned...

But back to me. As is evidenced by PREY, there are still plenty of Practical Creatures to design and create. Real characters that anchor a story in reality, making us believe they're real, because they are real! My new studio is a chance for me to reaffirm my mission to myself and to you the fans. I will, with the help of my fantastically talented crew, continue to bring you memorable Practical Creature Characters for as long as you'll let me.

Thank you for continuing to support Practical Effects! Together as fans and film makers we will keep the art alive!

Love and Monsters,
alec

Just shared this in the general A/P boards. Curious to what is to come!

ace3g

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 06, 2022, 12:05:50 AM
Quote from: ace3g on Aug 06, 2022, 12:01:06 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_2bluVPsb0
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg5Z0M_gYf7/

Love and Monsters,
alec

Just shared this in the general A/P boards. Curious to what is to come!

Hopefully I get my wish of a WETA FX/Digital designed Predator

426Buddy

426Buddy

Sounds like the end of ADI, end of an Era. Althought it sounds like it will continue in spirit.

Glad Gillis is still going, I loved their work on Prey.

SiL

How does that thing have short range vision with its eyes so far apart and so much fatty tissue in the way like damn.

Firestorm

Firestorm

The biggest negative for me with the cgi face is the eyes 100%, spacing aside, with most of the previous practical masks they had cutouts around the eyes and dark makeup blended into the mask which allowed the actors eyes to remain visible, this was something that I feel really added an extra layer of realism and depth to the mask especially with Jungle and City Hunter.

The cgi eyes in this remind me of the Jake Sully character from Avatar or something, can't quite put my finger on what it is but they just don't look very Predator like, the rest of the face is fine though I reckon including the handling of the mandibles.

Like others have said it's really a small issue considering about 95% of the movie features him wearing the mask which looks absolutely fantastic.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Definitely not a fan of Feral's face design, when I get the NECA figure I'll be keeping him perpetually masked up. He made the Super Predators from 'Predators' look downright pedestrian.

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 05, 2022, 10:06:01 PMGives major Halo Elite vibes
I KNEW it reminded me of something!

happypred

Quote from: judge death on Aug 05, 2022, 10:47:41 PMMiss him, he was a great member here.

Yeah, to me this predator/yautja is a different breed or a neadertal version of the normal predator, the berserker is also a different breed in my eyes.

Berserker is like a Neanderthal

Feral is like Homo Erectus

SuperiorIronman

He looks like if you morphed the Boov from Home with a Predator. It doesn't work. Honestly I wish they kept the mask on the whole film. The visual is creepier when we don't know what's underneath.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: happypred on Aug 06, 2022, 02:14:27 AM
Quote from: judge death on Aug 05, 2022, 10:47:41 PMMiss him, he was a great member here.

Yeah, to me this predator/yautja is a different breed or a neadertal version of the normal predator, the berserker is also a different breed in my eyes.

Berserker is like a Neanderthal

Feral is like Homo Erectus

The filmmakers said behind the scenes that it is the same species but inhabiting another hemisphere of their home world (my take is like comparing Americans to Africans). Just paraphrasing though.

SiL

Where's @Omegamorph  with his snake gallery when you need it.

happypred

I think we're just saying...Feral looks real "special", especially the eyes imo

SiL

Between that and not knowing how his gear worked I do wonder if he's the special Ed kid they thought they were dropping off in a nice easy place with rabbits and snakes and realised too late he was in trouble.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed