10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,711 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

If you have a problem Naru defeating the predator in this then I have nothing for you. She completely earns the kill and had a ton of help getting it. This predator took an insane amount of damage, maybe more than City Hunter.

You just have to have a problem with women if you don't think Naru earned the kill.

Doomofman

Doomofman

Quote from: maknae on Aug 05, 2022, 08:38:03 PM
Quote from: Space Eel on Aug 05, 2022, 08:10:28 PMJust finished watching the film, and am underwhelmed... This movie did have a lot of potential, and the energy of a good movie.  However, what made this movie miss the mark for me was how overpowered Naru was at the end.  Considering how she was treated by the men in her tribe, they obviously never trained her to fight or hunt.  Her brother maybe taught her some basics, but how he also treated, not much.  So, I can't see Naru ever making it past any fight scene to get to the killing shot.  So she pretty much got the Rey/Ms. Marvel treatment.

She is afraid of puma/leopard, afraid of a bear, but not afraid of the pred. Jumping on his shoulders twice like a kung-fu master. Its so unbelivable in this movie. Bear would kill her with one touch, this pred did nothing, zero scratches at her, even when he hits her with his shield twice, zero effect on her, but heads off for other characters in movie.
What movie did you watch? She is afraid of the bear and the lion, her being afraid of the lion is the whole reason she lost that fight and then, surprise surprise her character develops over the course of the film to the point where she loses her fear and is then able to fight properly

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Space Eel on Aug 05, 2022, 08:10:28 PMJust finished watching the film, and am underwhelmed... This movie did have a lot of potential, and the energy of a good movie.  However, what made this movie miss the mark for me was how overpowered Naru was at the end.  Considering how she was treated by the men in her tribe, they obviously never trained her to fight or hunt.  Her brother maybe taught her some basics, but how he also treated, not much.  So, I can't see Naru ever making it past any fight scene to get to the killing shot.  So she pretty much got the Rey/Ms. Marvel treatment.

She is afraid of puma/leopard, afraid of a bear, but not afraid of the pred. Jumping on his shoulders twice like a kung-fu master. Its so unbelivable in this movie. Bear would kill her with one touch, this pred did nothing, zero scratches at her, even when he hits her with his shield twice, zero effect on her, but heads off for other characters in movie.

She was doing that after she'd lost her brother. Rage from loss of a loved one can make people do a lot of amazing or terrible things. It really pushes a person to another limit. You seem like you didn't want to like the movie from the beginning, it almost feels like you've seen a different movie than a lot of us.

Kradan

Kradan

Didn't love it but liked it a lot. I'd say a solid 7/10, probably leaning towards 7.5-8

426Buddy

426Buddy

I actually thought she would have had the lion if she hadn't been distracted by predator tech going off in the distance.

She was just smart with the bear, she lost her advantage when the bow string snapped. Arnold would have had to run too lol.

Kradan

Kradan

Spoiler
"If it bleeds we can kill it". Why, oh why movie ? I guess, it's better than "Get to the choppa !"

Not sure if I liked flintlock backstory either.
[close]

maknae

maknae

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 05, 2022, 08:41:54 PM

She was doing that after she'd lost her brother. Rage from loss of a loved one can make people do a lot of amazing or terrible things. It really pushes a person to another limit. You seem like you didn't want to like the movie from the beginning, it almost feels like you've seen a different movie than a lot of us.
His death was stupid too tbh. "Oh, pred is retreat in cloacking, lets just stand here, chat and wait for sad and motivating scene to come" =)

When she fights with one of her tribe it was tight for her. Then she easily kills 5 or so french guys in kung-fu style like scorpion from last mortal kombat. I wonder when she trained like that?
I have no problems with female characters, Sarah C and Ripley both are well developed strong female characters. Naru is just a Mary Sue here imho.

Kradan

Kradan

Tbh, Naru's fighting skills did make me raise an eyebrow towards the end

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: maknae on Aug 05, 2022, 08:52:09 PMWhen she fights with one of her tribe it was tight for her. Then she easily kills 5 or so french guys in kung-fu style like scorpion from last mortal kombat. I wonder when she trained like that?
I have no problems with female characters, Sarah C and Ripley both are well developed strong female characters. Naru is just a Mary Sue here imho.

You clearly missed the scene when chasing a deer and keeping up with it. Her parkouring off a tree or two during the bear chase. The scenes of her practicing and training with the axe that show her moving around quite quickly. Things I noticed that told me she isn't the things you keep insisting she is.

maknae

maknae

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 05, 2022, 09:00:11 PM
Quote from: maknae on Aug 05, 2022, 08:52:09 PMWhen she fights with one of her tribe it was tight for her. Then she easily kills 5 or so french guys in kung-fu style like scorpion from last mortal kombat. I wonder when she trained like that?

You clearly missed the scene when chasing a deer and keeping up with it. Her parkouring off a tree or two during the bear chase. The scenes of her practicing and training with the axe that show her moving around quite quickly. Things I noticed that told me she isn't the things you keep insisting she is.

Parqouring is not the same as killing 5 people in skorpion style))

SiL

SiL

Her people are warriors, the French fur trappers are hired thugs. That's the difference.

She's clearly not a Mary Sue, she develops through the movie and demonstrates and improves skills. Nothing comes easily for her.

IRT THREAD

I didn't like it. I'm so bummed.

I'll probably soften on it on repeat viewings but geez.

Spoiler
Everyone really hyped Feral but I didn't even feel like I was watching a Predator. The movements, the behaviour, It all felt like some generic monster wearing some vaguely Predator inspired gear. I get that he's more, well, feral, but Predators are an advanced space faring race, not orcs.

He doesn't even know how his gear works? HE DOESN'T NOTICE HE MISSES THREE TIMES?

The final fight was such an anticlimax. It was exactly the kind of plot armour monster nerfing you'd dread. I thought they were going to be more clever, but no - the Predator that kills a bear with a punch gently tosses the protagonist around long enough to end up exactly where it needs to be.

I actually thought Predators did a much better job handling the mismatch of physical abilities in the climax than this did.

The acting wasn't great but it felt like Beaver was being held at gunpoint to deliver that "if it bleeds" line.
[close]

It looked pretty but what movie with a budget doesn't these days? The soundtrack was nice.

My favourite part, though, was the fact that you can absolutely make a sequel that feels like you're watching a first movie if you just ... write the movie that way. I love that you can watch and enjoy this whether it's your first Predator movie or fifth. I love that it didn't rush to the Predator action and didn't take his mask off in the first two seconds because.

Better than The Predator but at the moment I'd rather watch Predators again.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

So axe training with the rope scenes don't count either.

So, I'm excited to watch it again tonight.

Lionhart

Lionhart

Just saw it.

Better than the 2018 and 2010 movie but nothing I would say WOW great f**king movie about. Still hate that predator design. I wish Dan would have opened his eyes and used his brain and given us a predator design from the lost tribe. Boar, Guardian or just an upgraded p1 p2 mask, specially after all the crap designs we got after Predator 2. Just because it's set 300 years back doesn't mean the predator design should be messed with, I mean maybe a little tweak here and there but not to the extent that it loses the look and feel of a predator design like Feral did.
The CGI for the bear and the mountain lion wasn't that good looking. Other than that the movie had some good fight scenes and a beautiful landscape.

I would rank them

Predator  - 10/10
Predator 2 - 8/10
Prey - 5/10
Predators - 3/10
The Predator - 1/10

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

You know, this is exactly the kind of Predator sequel I always said I wanted to see after getting into Predator and Predator 2 all those years ago. An adventure story operating within its own defined genre and style of filmmaking, like those original two films did with their own respective genres, with some real characters to root for in the setting and then just... drop a Predator into the mix! The structure is minimalist and the scale isn't huge, but the characters and the world they live in and all of the carnage that ensues are vividly defined and that's how these movies operate best.

I would have loved to have seen this in a theater, but alas...

I do definitely plan on revisiting this again in the coming days, this time with the Comanche dub selected rather than the default English audio track.

Spoiler
Loved that third act return of the quicksand.
[close]

426Buddy

426Buddy

This would have been great in the theater.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed