[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 150,076 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 08, 2022, 07:39:06 PMYou make them sound like some sort of super-villain organisation. I can see mental image of a poor director pulling hair out of his head while ADI is al like "Mwahahaha !", standing in the background, half-covered in shadows

Ooooookay...

Remember, if you listened to our Alien3 podcast I had only good things to say about ADI, so now you have to like me just a tiny bit more! ;D

.005 Like increases to .006!

Kradan

Kradan

Nah, I'm sure it's just a play on your part. You hate their Aliens too. You hate everything they make, in fact, even sandwiches !

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 08, 2022, 07:45:31 PMNah, I'm sure it's just a play on your part. You hate their Aliens too. You hate everything they make, in fact, even sandwiches !

Ahem. Are we forgetting my fondness for ADI's Predalien?

And what? ADI makes sandwiches?! Does the ham flop out of the sides of the bread?  ;D

goose_3387

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 07:22:04 PM
Quote from: Doomofman on Jun 08, 2022, 05:59:45 PM
Quote from: shadowedge on Jun 08, 2022, 05:41:30 PM2 New images of the predator from screenshots from the new Facebook page video.
First image, silhouette still screams Berserker to me

Second image, a red/orange cloaking effect... Hmmm

I hope all this 'putting their own stamp on it' stuff doesn't go a bit too far in the wrong direction

This almost feeks like the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street reboot....

Imagine if Prey is NOT in Predator continuity, is in fact an intended reboot, and starts a new series of Prey movies with a different, redesigned looking Predator.

Please don't say that - I was just getting excited about this film. 😅

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 07:52:52 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Jun 08, 2022, 07:45:31 PMNah, I'm sure it's just a play on your part. You hate their Aliens too. You hate everything they make, in fact, even sandwiches !

Ahem. Are we forgetting my fondness for ADI's Predalien?

And what? ADI makes sandwiches?! Does the ham flop out of the sides of the bread?  ;D

Coffee is terrible too - never tastes quite the way you want it to

SiL

QuoteWhat I mean and always mean is the directors do not ask for mandibles bending in odd unnatural directions simultaneously nor direct ADI to implement excess skin flaps in unnatural twists and rolls in strange ways...
They could ask for the mandibles to be in a specific configuration and move a certain way if they wanted - like they can direct any other performance. They don't ask for skin flaps, but they do ask for over extending the mandibles - which means excess material to accommodate the full range of motion. Silicone and latex can only stretch so much.

ADI delivers a character that can do the performance that's asked of them.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Jun 08, 2022, 08:15:38 PM
QuoteWhat I mean and always mean is the directors do not ask for mandibles bending in odd unnatural directions simultaneously nor direct ADI to implement excess skin flaps in unnatural twists and rolls in strange ways...
They could ask for the mandibles to be in a specific configuration and move a certain way if they wanted - like they can direct any other performance. They don't ask for skin flaps, but they do ask for over extending the mandibles - which means excess material to accommodate the full range of motion. Silicone and latex can only stretch so much.

My emoji;

My response:
So you're saying this was all on the director and unavoidable by ADI. Anderson blame: 100% / ADI blame: 0%

I get the people who have have personal relationships with ADI, but after three movies, it seems some just bend over backwards to lay absolutely zero blame at their feet and 100% at the directors. I read Stan Winston's book and he acknowledges plenty of their FX mistakes and details them - just the film Congo alone - but to some here it seems like ADI makes no errors apparently, even when it's visibly and logically undeniable to many with their Predators. It's just as nonsensical as laying 100% of the blame always on ADI's feet and 0% on the director. It's always such a bizarre world in these forums for me.

Kradan

I'm sorry, but aren't you doing that exact thing but in reverse ?

Darkseed

Is ADI responsible for the predator suit?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 08, 2022, 09:51:32 PMI'm sorry, but aren't you doing that exact thing but in reverse ?

Nope! And after three films and four different directors, I can comfortably lay a big chunk of the blame at their feet. Which means.... (dramatic pause) they've been part of the problem.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Darkseed on Jun 08, 2022, 09:54:53 PMIs ADI responsible for the predator suit?

Probably, but it could be Steve Wang's Oynx Forge.

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 09:21:41 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jun 08, 2022, 08:15:38 PM

My emoji;
https://i.ibb.co/LvswsVp/IMG-20190916-160417.jpg
My response:
So you're saying this was all on the director and unavoidable by ADI. Anderson blame: 100% / ADI blame: 0%

https://64.media.tumblr.com/0a1771ca992104d6dd71567ee4de7a43/tumblr_pmylellN1r1xuau3co1_500.gif
I get the people who have have personal relationships with ADI, but after three movies, it seems some just bend over backwards to lay absolutely zero blame at their feet and 100% at the directors. I read Stan Winston's book and he acknowledges plenty of their FX mistakes and details them - just the film Congo alone - but to some here it seems like ADI makes no errors apparently, even when it's visibly and logically undeniable to many with their Predators. It's just as nonsensical as laying 100% of the blame always on ADI's feet and 0% on the director. It's always such a bizarre world in these forums for me.

I mean, rarely do you ever say it is any of the directors fault most times. The blame is mostly thrown at ADI. And if you do say it is director, or even producer choices, I can't recall it.

We hear your frustrations and complaints, many of us share those, even while being friends with the ADI guys. But often we've heard that some of these issues are caused by a directors ask; like the mandibles in AvP being wider thanks to Anderson wanting them to go bigger, being one example.

We also never seem to talk about the time they don't have to work on the films. Often they have to scramble because they've been given little time, or are asked to completely redesign last minute like the Predalien because of some comment a producers kid made. The time factor is a huge part of the situation and it rarely feels acknowledged when you or some others are speaking about ADI. It's a nightmare having to change work that was good until someone unrelated comes around and changes the situation.

Personally, I hate the look of the unmasked Predators in PREDATORS, but I understand a lot of that is due to things like lack of time or budget, which is why Crucified's mouth and jaw just stick hung open. But I still would have faith in them as creature designers and wouldn't make it almost my own life mission, or base my personality around it, to call out their work at any chance I get.

I get that it usually is only involving the Predator and it's face when it comes to the criticisms, but it almost seems like a lot of people hear the name ADI and immediately lose their faith. I feel that if you have to point out that you've praised them in the past, it means that people might be used to hearing the complaints over the praise.

Having worked with Mike Dougherty, I'd talked to him about his favorite sfx companies he's worked with. ADI was his first and most talked about, he also almost had them on Krampus but they lost the bid. He said he's always got them as a first choice. ADI is highly respected and loved in the industry. They are absolutely not above critique, and I don't love all of their Predator work myself. But let's maybe wait and see before we get our panties in a bunch? While I want Stan designs too, he's gone, and his art along with it. I understand that. But what happens if ADI makes something different with the Predator, and it's f**king amazing? Will the tune change?

Not trying to be a huge defender here, just maybe giving a different perspective on how to view the films and their designs. Context helps me view the final product sometimes, but not always.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 09:21:41 PMMy response:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/0a1771ca992104d6dd71567ee4de7a43/tumblr_pmylellN1r1xuau3co1_500.gif
This is exactly what the director asked for - a more "handsome" Predator with less grotesque features and mandibles that could open really wide.

ADI nailed the brief.

I'm sure they don't like the excess skin either, but unless you've got a material that will give them the range of performance they need to do what the director wants, that's the payoff. Director wants stupid wide mandible roars, you need material to cover. And when that same material isn't being stretched, it has to go somewhere.

And if ADI says no, the production finds someone else who'll do it.

Same with Wolf's bobble head. The directors wanted a fully animatronic face, eyes included. Great, now you need to fit those mechanisms over an actor's head, while also asking them to make the body more streamlined. Bobble head.

They're not above critique by any stretch. But some critiques are ignorant and misguided.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Jun 08, 2022, 11:12:37 PMI'm sure they don't like the excess skin either, but unless you've got a material that will give them the range of performance they need to do what the director wants, that's the payoff. Director wants stupid wide mandible roars, you need material to cover. And when that same material isn't being stretched, it has to go somewhere.

I mean, using more than one head prop/mask for different shots would fix 95% of this, in a scenario where time and budget allow.

GreybackElder

I actually don't hate that drawing of the predator. It's different yet familiar. If it's something like that, I don't think I'll mind so much.  Like so many of You I hope the Feral predator's mandibles will articulate better. Perhaps they've improved since the last attempt? To be fair my least favorite predator face design was AVP(scar). The mandibles moved all over the place and it simply wasn't threatening.
I also, don't mind the removal of the netting. Predators did that and it worked. I'll make my final judgment when I see it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed