[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 150,768 times)

The Shuriken

I don't know, I feel there's been too much focus on "different and new" instead of just slightly tweaking what already is known to look the best.

SuperiorIronman

Having him look different does free up ADI to go all in on this film rather than fit the mold from a previous interpretation. He's not from Jungle Hunter's turf so he's gonna look a little gnarly.

Like with how they talk, the films adapting the different bodies and faces from the regions of the homeworld is all things considered good for us creatively. It means future Predator can get a little gross or scary without risking the audience having seen it twice or fitting expectations.

pmaz11

pmaz11

Quote from: The Shuriken on Jun 07, 2022, 05:21:58 PMThey look too much like wires IMO.

QuoteTRACHTENBERG: For the look of the creature, I really wanted to get out of the bodybuilder/wrestler thing. The first thing to go was the mesh netting that he, or it, has worn previously. I wanted to have this thing feel much more creature-like and way more visceral.

Why you gotta do me like that Dan? :'(

Too bad with the mesh :-\  ... not a major detail by any means. But it does add to a list of some other subtle Predator elements we are missing again with another new character. Such as the dreadlocks rings missing, which I thought are both amazing tribal touches that add a little more history with them.

Also the approach to the actual Predators face is to be seen still. The fact we are having the discussion again is ironic, and not that I personally mind if they go away from the classic look, etc.

*Side note: I thought KNB EFX did a pretty solid job with the Classic Predator in Predator's and the movie shot below was nice. Even the Berserker Predator's face was impressive [mandibles a bit much most times shown, but if the animatronics could have been pulled back a bit maybe ha]. Either way, I thought Berserker's look and practical face effects were done well, especially in that Classic Predator fight scene. The GIF image below from on-set, shows pretty nice effects I thought for the Berserker face in that scene as well.

But anyways, I was hoping like many I think that there might be a closer connection to the Lost Tribe Predators in this new film like Greyback. Still could be I suppose...but at the very least, wish we could be getting back to that same style & design of Predator we can appreciate 100%.

I am really digging this new Predator design all things considered so far. Just happy we have a new Predator film at all! Got that hype back up! 8)

RidgeTop

fat doge

fat doge

cant wait for this move favorite scene was when he flipped the axe

Voodoo Magic

Getting that bad feeling we'll be getting another Predator where I prefer his bio-mask to stay on.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

• DAN: "For the look of the creature, I really wanted to get out of the bodybuilder/wrestler thing. The first thing to go was the mesh netting that he, or it, has worn previously. I wanted to have this thing feel much more creature-like and way more visceral."

When did Predator look like a bodybuilder or wrestler? Yes, he frustratingly did later years (unfortunately) in the AVPs and The Predator but he sure didn't in the Stan Winston / Kevin Peter Hall days.

And the netting. The Thomas Brothers originally designed that netting to be instrumental on how the camouflage worked, through a netted bodysuit. It's conception wasn't for aesthetics sake.

• DAN: "But I think this guy's perhaps from a different hemisphere of the planet and a little bit of a different breed. So even his look is a little new, it's familiar."

Visually to me, in the AvPs and The Predator, we already received a different breed outside Predator and Predator 2 (and the crucified/classic in Predators). Now what are we going to get?

*Sigh* Alas, this is Hollywood. A let's put our stamp on it / we can do it better.

goose_3387

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 03:09:29 PM
  • DAN: "For the look of the creature, I really wanted to get out of the bodybuilder/wrestler thing. The first thing to go was the mesh netting that he, or it, has worn previously. I wanted to have this thing feel much more creature-like and way more visceral."

When did Predator look like a bodybuilder or wrestler? Yes, he frustratingly did later years (unfortunately) in the AVPs and The Predator but he sure didn't in the Stan Winston / Kevin Peter Hall days.

And the netting. The Thomas Brothers originally designed that netting to be instrumental on how the camouflage worked, through a netted bodysuit. It's conception wasn't for aesthetics sake.

• DAN: "But I think this guy's perhaps from a different hemisphere of the planet and a little bit of a different breed. So even his look is a little new, it's familiar."

Visually to me, in the AvPs and The Predator, we already received a different breed outside Predator and Predator 2 (and the crucified/classic in Predators). Now what are we going to get?

*Sigh* Alas, this is Hollywood. A let's put our stamp on it / we can do it better.

Another director wanting to makes changes to the Predator character. I think we know what to expect from the face.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: goose_3387 on Jun 08, 2022, 03:22:47 PMAnother director wanting to makes changes to the Predator character. I think we know what to expect from the face.

Yep. And if ADI handles the execution, I'm fearing the worst.

You want to make your Predator unique? You have a whole palette of colors, a whole smorgasbord of new weapon and wild bio-masks designs you can implement. Sheesh! Just look at the Alpha!

Instead.... we're getting a different breed. Weeeee! :-

PredatorvsAliens

Quote from: goose_3387 on Jun 08, 2022, 03:22:47 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 03:09:29 PM

Another director wanting to makes changes to the Predator character. I think we know what to expect from the face.
at least this director isn't making the predator hunt for autism

(Quinn McKenna : [when the Predator abducts Rory]  No No! He said he wanted me. He said he wanted me!

Casey Bracket : No. He said he wanted McKenna. The next step in the evolutionary chain. Not you. Your son.)

PUKES !!!!!!!!!!!

Lefty

Lefty

The body builder comment is odd to me because this one looks absolutely MASSIVE in the chest and shoulders during that silhouette forest shot, but maybe that's his armor or something? That shot gave me way more AVP vibes than anything from the originals. Although, Dan may also be referencing the muscle definition and stuff that we typically associate with predators, too. For example the way Berserker and the other ones in 2010 looked more reptilian, I don't think they had super defined abs and biceps and whatnot. Maybe he's simply commenting on that.

About a "new" face design, it's not what I wanted but I'm not 100% against it either. And maybe it will really let ADI shine. I'd kind of rather see ADI kill it with a new design than to continue making 90% correct but not quite there renditions of the original style over and over. I'm so tired of the way their lower mandibles always sit vertically in front of the jaw instead of closing together, in that respect they always looked like different types to me.

BigDaddyJohn

Maybe Dan is referring more to AVP and the upgrade from The Predator, who knows.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 03:27:38 PM
Quote from: goose_3387 on Jun 08, 2022, 03:22:47 PMAnother director wanting to makes changes to the Predator character. I think we know what to expect from the face.

Yep. And if ADI handles the execution, I'm fearing the worst.

You want to make your Predator unique? You have a whole palette of colors, a whole smorgasbord of new weapon and wild bio-masks designs you can implement. Sheesh! Just look at the Alpha!

https://i.ibb.co/hKxMf6B/hex-hoppers-studios-predatoralpha-pose-2.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/B4yfrMg/Alpha-Predator.png
Instead.... we're getting a different breed. Weeeee! :-

I mean... Alpha kinda looks like a different breed himself. Like Feral, he's got much thinner dreads than we've ever seen. Also a pretty different head structure.

I don't think the movie will make a point of it being a different breed like the last two did. I think Trachtenberg is just giving speculation or justification for why they went with a different design. Also the single frame face shot in the dark everyone has been drawing conclusions from is what seems to be a CGI model of the Predator leaping. Whatever ADI did or didn't do with the design here, the director signed off on and approved of it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jun 08, 2022, 05:22:18 PMI mean... Alpha kinda looks like a different breed himself. Like Feral, he's got much thinner dreads than we've ever seen. Also a pretty different head structure.

True, yet, although technically able, I don't believe we've considered or referred to City Hunter, Scar, Wolf, Fugitive, etc. as "different breeds", so we shall see.

QuoteWhatever ADI did or didn't do with the design here, the director signed off on and approved of it.

My problems with ADI has always been execution, problems that occur in their realization of the approved maquette that do not exist on said maquette.

But alas, it's too early to tell any of this. I'm just losing hope I'll see another Stan Winston-style Predator in my lifetime. I got an exceptional one in Predator and Predator 2, and a not-as-well-crafted KNB one in Predators (but I'm still grateful for it nevertheless).

shadowedge

2 New images of the predator from screenshots from the new Facebook page video.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed