[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 150,012 times)

RidgeTop

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 05:30:43 PMMy problems with ADI has always been execution, problems that occur in their realization of the approved maquette that do not exist on said maquette.

From what we've seen in BTS, directors (and producers, unfortunately) do visit the creature shops beyond the maquette phase to make input and suggest changes, as we saw with the Predalien sculpt rework in AVPR. In any case, their bid and body of previous work which I assume Trachtenberg was familiar with won him over. Directors just might not take issue with the same things that fans do. Everyone blamed ADI for bulky Preds but that was exactly what Paul W. S. Anderson asked for.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 05:30:43 PMBut alas, it's too early to tell any of this. I'm just losing hope I'll see another Stan Winston-style Predator in my lifetime.

Indeed. I'd also love to see a more classic Winston looking design return myself, and I'm cautious here too, though quite intrigued with what I've seen so far.

Doomofman

Quote from: shadowedge on Jun 08, 2022, 05:41:30 PM2 New images of the predator from screenshots from the new Facebook page video.
First image, silhouette still screams Berserker to me

Second image, a red/orange cloaking effect... Hmmm

I hope all this 'putting their own stamp on it' stuff doesn't go a bit too far in the wrong direction

shadowedge

Quote from: Doomofman on Jun 08, 2022, 05:59:45 PM
Quote from: shadowedge on Jun 08, 2022, 05:41:30 PM2 New images of the predator from screenshots from the new Facebook page video.

I hope all this 'putting their own stamp on it' stuff doesn't go a bit too far in the wrong direction

We are back to 2 normal wrist blades instead of 1 super long one.

Maybe the cloak is an older version since it is 300 years in the past? Hence the red electricity instead of blue.

PredBabe

PredBabe

I feel those concerns for a 'new breed' design as well. I never really warmed up to the super predators in Predators for that matter.
It does baffle me how every movie that follows after P2 overlooks the creative designs of each Predator in that movie and how they could just play up on changes like those...

Hopefully they surprise us with something that looks cool on film - everything else in this movie looks pretty well crafted anyways. The jury is still out on the face though.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jun 08, 2022, 05:57:47 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 05:30:43 PMMy problems with ADI has always been execution, problems that occur in their realization of the approved maquette that do not exist on said maquette.

From what we've seen in BTS, directors (and producers, unfortunately) do visit the creature shops beyond the maquette phase to make input and suggest changes, as we saw with the Predalien sculpt rework in AVPR. In any case, their bid and body of previous work which I assume Trachtenberg was familiar with won him over. Directors just might not take issue with the same things that fans do. Everyone blamed ADI for bulky Preds but that was exactly what Paul W. S. Anderson asked for.

What I mean and always mean is the directors do not ask for mandibles bending in odd unnatural directions simultaneously nor direct ADI to implement excess skin flaps in unnatural twists and rolls in strange ways... nor is it on the maquette. This comes in execution, something you have conceded that ADI struggles with a bit in Predator execution once to me during vid game playing, remember?  :) And most directors don't have clout to shut down production these days over costume issues like that. When they get it on set the day they need it, they have to roll with what they have.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 05:30:43 PMBut alas, it's too early to tell any of this. I'm just losing hope I'll see another Stan Winston-style Predator in my lifetime.

Indeed. I'd also love to see a more classic Winston looking design return myself, and I'm cautious here too, though quite intrigued with what I've seen so far.

Everything moves quick but I think I'm loving the bio-masked Predator so far as well as him seemingly jumping from tree to tree. Definitely encouraged about that!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: shadowedge on Jun 08, 2022, 06:11:34 PM

We are back to 2 normal wrist blades instead of 1 super long one.

Maybe the cloak is an older version since it is 300 years in the past? Hence the red electricity instead of blue.

Hmm. We generally consider a Predators lifespan to last more than 300 years, but maybe we can fansplain it.

But camouflage technology that no longer needs netting, not so much.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

This almost feeks like the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street reboot....

Imagine if Prey is NOT in Predator continuity, is in fact an intended reboot, and starts a new series of Prey movies with a different, redesigned looking Predator.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 07:18:46 PMBut camouflage technology that no longer needs netting, not so much.

To be fair that was just a development idea, and never established on screen. We've seen them cloak before without netting in two movies, as well as the comics and games.

Doomofman

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 07:22:04 PM

This almost feeks like the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street reboot....

Imagine if Prey is NOT in Predator continuity, is in fact an intended reboot, and starts a new series of Prey movies with a different, redesigned looking Predator.
That's an interesting thought actually, maybe that could be something cool though at the same time, I really don't think they need a redesign

TBH, I'm starting to doubt whether the pred in this movie has eyes at all as weird as that sounds, just the geometry of that one face glimpse we have doesn't look right to me

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 07:18:46 PMBut camouflage technology that no longer needs netting, not so much.

Wait, what ? Since when that was a thing ?

Kailem

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 07:22:04 PMThis almost feeks like the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street reboot....

And the sequel will undoubtedly be called "Prey 2: The Heavens". :P

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Jun 08, 2022, 07:32:45 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 07:22:04 PMThis almost feeks like the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street reboot....

And the sequel will undoubtedly be called "Prey 2: The Heavens". :P

:laugh:

SuperiorIronman

From what little we could see it reminds me of the super Predator face. But without a full view I don't know.

It looks like the skull is mounted on at least the top of a helmet. The shot where the Predator grabs the hatchet looks like a bit of it is present. The helmets commonly have lenses but probably don't require them assuming there's a sensor.

Also if it is a full on reboot.., good. That's certainly one way to end the canon debate and start over fresh. Gets everyone on the same page and if you wanna use Dutch again it's just adding an existing film into the lineup kind of like Godzilla timelines.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 08, 2022, 07:32:28 PM

Wait, what ? Since when that was a thing ?

Original Thomas Brothers script. To be fair, it's never been explained on screen.

And it was dropped in future movies I guess because (fansplaining alert) technology improved. :)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 08, 2022, 07:15:43 PMWhat I mean and always mean is the directors do not ask for mandibles bending in odd unnatural directions simultaneously nor direct ADI to implement excess skin flaps in unnatural twists and rolls in strange ways... nor is it on the maquette. This comes in execution, something you have conceded that ADI struggles with a bit in Predator execution once to me during vid game playing, remember?  :) And most directors don't have clout to shut down production these days over costume issues like that. When they get it on set the day they need it, they have to roll with what they have.

You make them sound like some sort of super-villain organisation. I can see mental image of a poor director pulling hair out of his head while ADI is al like "Mwahahaha, we did it again!", standing in the background, half-covered in shadows

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed