Chances of Blomkamp's Alien Being Made: "Slim"

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 21, 2017, 01:28:06 PM

Author
Chances of Blomkamp's Alien Being Made: "Slim" (Read 42,960 times)

dkwookie

Well I say this, I (and no doubt Fox) trust Ridley Scott more than Neil Blomkamp to deliver an Alien film.
You can say the canon dump is ok but why do it? It's more than an extended universe dump its a Bobby Ewing moment, for me jumping the shark.

skhellter

why do it?

a) $$$$$$$$$$$
b) Would link Prometheus + sequels to the Alien/Aliens era. (The golden age in the eyes of the audience.)
c) Because they can.
d) Because Siggy wants to end Ripley's journey in a different note.
e) $$$$$$$$$$$

BringbackJonesy!

Oh well.  While I was interested to see that this movie seemed to be offering a totally 'alternative' sequel to Cameron's ALIENS, this news won't get in the way of me turning ALIEN3 and ALIEN RES into mere 'hypersleep nightmare' fan edits for myself.  :P

Biggles

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 23, 2017, 09:05:39 PM
After all, Cameron's 'ALIENS' was a re-purposing of a different script entirely. 

Huh? First I've heard of that. What script?

skhellter

skhellter

James Cameron's own script for Rambo 2.

Cameron only used the very basic character arc:
Rambo/Ripley go back to the place where they were originally traumatized
(LV426/Vietnam) and overcome their fears.
+
One of the people responsible for sending Rambo/Ripley on the mission turns out to be a turncoat..
and there's an anti-military/industrialcomplex theme.

that's it.

Cameron wasnt happy with Rambo 2 and he decided he was ok with taking some stuff from it.

Dan

Maybe "slim"means his chance to do the movie is pending on covenants success.
If doing well in boxoffice: ok or if not that much than fox doing covenant sequel only.
If Chappie did better maybe Blomkamp would be in better position and he could start production as Scott promised earlier that Covenant is first and Blomkamp's is next.

We dont even know if it would be a retcon, i hope we finally get something offical this year..lot of fans waiting for Alien 5 for almost 20 years and thats not an actual alien 5 or who knows .I think this year fox should decide to do it or not.
Don't play with us longer or with the cast and the director.The script/draft was ready by 2015 and liked by Scott and Cameron.So its time to decide because Weaver will be in the Avatars as well.

SiL

Actually it was a sci-fi script called "Mother", which featured the same conflicting maternal themes the finished film does.

Adam802

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 23, 2017, 09:21:29 PM
Quote from: SM on Jan 23, 2017, 09:02:29 PMFox co-financed Avatar (and presumably the sequels).

Sure, but since when was Avatar a roadblock to another Alien film? Covenant's going ahead.

Weaver being tied up in filming Avatar 2, 3, 4, etc played a part in her scheduling not working out with Neil's.

Here:  http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2016/07/14/alien-5-will-delayed-avatar-sequels-gone-world/

windebieste

Yeah.  It's 'Mother' to which I'm referring.  It would have been interesting to have seen how that movie panned out if he chose to make it.  Nonetheless, the core components ended up being integrated into 'ALIENS'.  Considering 'ALIENS' ended up having such a good story with strong elements pulled from the older script, 'Mother' must have been a pretty solid piece.

I see Blomkamp doing much the same thing with his 'ALIENS: Something' script.  Retaining its core components and building an entirely new script around content that he already has in place.  Everyone who read the script seemed to think it was worthwhile and it received the support (to varying degrees) of people closely associated with past movies.  With this new trilogy coming out - and let's face it, we know absolutely nothing about anything that comes after 'ALIEN: Covenant' - cannibalising Blomkamp's original script would be a great opportunity to mine for good ideas. 

Of course, the person in the best position to do so is Blomkamp.  So I say, let's see if Blomkamp is capable of writing and directing for a more contemporary audience.  I think he can. 

-Windebieste.

BishopShouldGo

Neill might just go back to his original script which didn't include Ripley at all.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Russ on Jan 23, 2017, 05:05:26 PM
I've not seen that, but if the chances of this one are "slim" and he was offered the AvP reboot, I wonder if he'd do it anyway. Backtracking and all that.

I doubt it. He seems the type to have his own projects to do if he can't do something else the way he'd like it.

I agree, he'd be an interesting fit for the AVP concept, but as I say... He doesn't like it.

Quote from: skhellter on Jan 23, 2017, 06:18:53 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 23, 2017, 04:39:38 PM
He hasn't done anything I've liked since 'Dog Soldiers'. If anything disproved to me he'd be a good fit for an 'Alien' film, it was how underwhelming 'The Descent' was.

Blomkamp has 1 ok film and 2 really shitty ones in his CV so far.
The guy is still riding off the good will generated by District 9. His best days are behind him.
+ The concept art he put out looked ridiculous (Ripley wearing a Xeno-Helmet?)

I'd severely disagree. I personally really liked 'Chappie'. The only one I was underwhelmed by was 'Elysium' - and part of why I like about the guy is that he's openly identified to the mistakes he made during that, in a surprisingly public way. He's actively seeking to avoid repeating them in the future.

Compare that to Ridley Scott, whose only known comments on 'Prometheus' are of being satisfied with it. Not a hint that he's listened to (or is aware of) any of the valid criticism against it.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the suit, but we have no way of knowing if that was a discarded idea, dream sequence or what. I'd imagine it's been changed heavily since speaking with Scott about Engineer-related ideas.

QuoteMeanwhile, Neill Marshall is still doing a damn good job directing the best Game of Thrones episodes.

He'd be a better fit. Easily.

The only one of his I've liked was 'Dog Soldiers'. I thought 'The Descent' was rather awful and it's about the closest to the themes of the 'Alien' films.

Can't receive 'Game Of Thrones', so can't comment about that. Although, I recall the director of the terrible 'Terminator Genisys' was meant to have received praise for doing the same, so... That's not necessarily a mark of quality.

BishopShouldGo

Get a Pixar director to do an Alien film. I'm serious. They understand character, story, timing, suspense, and world-building.

windebieste

I don't think Scott was 100% happy with it.  He has been known to describe 'PROMETHEUS as "florid and grandiose".  Not exactly uncritical of his own work.  I'm sure there are other examples of him understanding the movie was lacking in some areas. 

-Windebieste.

Scorpio

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 23, 2017, 04:19:16 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 22, 2017, 05:48:15 AM
I remember when people were saying that Star Wars 7 would never happen.

Lol but neill is the f**king director.

Alien 5 will be made regardless of the director.  It might take decades but it will happen.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 24, 2017, 03:51:42 AM
Get a Pixar director to do an Alien film. I'm serious. They understand character, story, timing, suspense, and world-building.

Well, Whedon's already been involved...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed