A, P, AvP Timeline

Started by Katarn84, Mar 17, 2010, 05:50:23 PM

Author
A, P, AvP Timeline (Read 11,912 times)

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Mar 18, 2010, 01:33:04 AM
San Drad is depicted as a major city; not some hicksvile backwater. Can't cover that up.

They could have claimed that it was something else and that all the survivors didn't see what they actually saw, like in the Transformers movies from Micheal Bay.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Mar 17, 2010, 10:47:43 PM
Original Sin is obviously post-Resurrection.

An out of date timeline for comics/ novels
Whoops, yeah, I forgot to edit that one off the list of pre-Resurrection books.

Quote from: SM on Mar 17, 2010, 11:47:32 PM
Any of the AvPs featuring Machiko don't fit the film continuity.
Why?

SM

SM

Already explained.  That story references the Aliens over-running Earth.

Resurrection says no.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Ehh, there's ways to work around it. :P

Katarn84

Katarn84

Like Doc Emmet Brown said, here we have two timelines emergnig from Alien3, in one Earth is overrun by Aliens (all the comics and books say this), on the other one we have Alien Resurrection and Original Sin, where Rilpey actually eradicated the Aliens by killing herself of Fiorina and being cloned centuries after that.

I put Alien Resurrection in my list at that point because it is centuries after Alien3 but, of course, it can't be related to the timeline of Earth Hive and so on. Not counting the impossibility of covering up half the planet with Alien hives, also the tecnology created to counter them is not accounted for in the foruth movie (or novelization).

Quote from: Cal427eb on Mar 18, 2010, 01:33:22 AM
Shouldn't Concrete Jungle be after Predator 2?

I really don't know, but I thought it must b strange not to get any hint about Predator 2 in the book (this is the novel, not the game set in 2030). I can't remember right now if the book have any dates in it. The only things granted are Predator is in mid 1980s, Predator 2 in 1997, AvP in 2004.

As far as I remember in the AvP novels there's no hint about the Earth infestation, the reason I can't imagine (still to happen? lack of news on that god forgotten colony? never happened?).

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

With the AvP novels, the infestation might not have happened yet. The newest AvP comic series ties into the newest Aliens series, which mentions the Earth infestation, but it seems to be reasonably recent news. Since the new AvP series happens 10 years after 'AvP: War', I think, then the infestation wouldn't have happened yet when the first AvP series took place.

'Predator' takes place in 1987, 'Predator 2' is in 1997. As for Predator comics and novels, I figured they just kinda took place during the year they were published, unless stated otherwise (i.e., comics set during a specific historical period, etc). That isn't necessarily "canonical" but it's just how I did it.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 18, 2010, 03:48:47 AM
Ehh, there's ways to work around it.
Ehh, not really.

All of Earth is overrun and humanity is forced into the stars. That's a pretty friggin' big event to just totally gloss over in the movie. Ripley would hardly have wiped out the Aliens "for all intents and purposes" if they came back a few years later and succeeded in taking over the entire planet. Not to mention people wouldn't really be scratching their heads over what the Aliens were - Call makes it clear the whole thing is pretty classified information, and you'd think she'd mention "Oh yeah, these things overran Earth."

Katarn84

Katarn84

That's why I say there are two timelines coming out of Alien3 (and I say Alien3 beacuse the Ripley from Earth Hive and so on on a Synth, not the real one).

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Mar 18, 2010, 08:44:57 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 18, 2010, 03:48:47 AM
Ehh, there's ways to work around it.
Ehh, not really.

All of Earth is overrun and humanity is forced into the stars. That's a pretty friggin' big event to just totally gloss over in the movie. Ripley would hardly have wiped out the Aliens "for all intents and purposes" if they came back a few years later and succeeded in taking over the entire planet. Not to mention people wouldn't really be scratching their heads over what the Aliens were - Call makes it clear the whole thing is pretty classified information, and you'd think she'd mention "Oh yeah, these things overran Earth."
Depends on how you look at it. Only person who was scratching their heads about what the Aliens were was Johner, and perhaps Call wasn't aware that Earth had been overrun for whatever reason.

Like I said, there are ways to work around it. Some are harder to swallow than others. :P I'm willing to personally "creatively interpret" one source if it means all the other sources don't get invalidated, but that's just me.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 18, 2010, 09:22:01 AM
Depends on how you look at it. Only person who was scratching their heads about what the Aliens were was Johner,
And DiStephano. And the rest of the Betty crew seemed to have no clue what they were dealing with.

Quoteand perhaps Call wasn't aware that Earth had been overrun for whatever reason.
She could find out about what happened on a backwater shut down prison colony, but couldn't find out that Earth was f**king overrun by Aliens?

...No. :-\

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Mar 18, 2010, 09:26:38 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 18, 2010, 09:22:01 AM
Depends on how you look at it. Only person who was scratching their heads about what the Aliens were was Johner,
And DiStephano. And the rest of the Betty crew seemed to have no clue what they were dealing with.
Christie seemed pretty level-headed about what was going on. Literally the only Betty crew character who shows any objective indication that he doesn't know what Aliens are is Johner.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 18, 2010, 09:26:38 AM
Quoteand perhaps Call wasn't aware that Earth had been overrun for whatever reason.
She could find out about what happened on a backwater shut down prison colony, but couldn't find out that Earth was f**king overrun by Aliens?

...No. :-\
Perhaps she only stumbled across the Fury 161 info and didn't do any further digging, and then followed it straight to the Auriga because that's where the blood sample went. Or perhaps she figured the infestation of Earth was such common knowledge that she didn't feel like rehashing it for the characters (even though it may have made sense to do so for the audience, of course). Or perhaps the data on the infestation of earth literally didn't exist for whatever reason (the 'AvP: Thrill of the Hunt' comic series comes up with one. It isn't the best explanation, but it's at least an attempt). There's all kinds of ways you can work around it.
...if you want to, that is. :P If you're predisposed against the idea, well... that's your call I guess. If you want to keep things separate that's just fine, but pooh-poohing people who want to try and make it "fit" seems a bit silly.

Just because you're not willing to accept it doesn't mean other people aren't willing to accept it. You're saying that you can't "make it work" as if it's some sort of objective truth, and it's pretty much just an opinion. :) You'd better believe there are plenty of fans (casual or otherwise) who'd be more than willing to drop 'Alien Resurrection' like a bad habit if it means un-voiding the comics and novels and video games they enjoyed. Or, like I said, creatively interpreting Alien Resurrection to allow both to co-exist, and just not letting the "contradictions" bother them.

Katarn84

Katarn84

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 18, 2010, 09:33:54 AM
Perhaps she only stumbled across the Fury 161 info and didn't do any further digging, and then followed it straight to the Auriga because that's where the blood sample went. Or perhaps she figured the infestation of Earth was such common knowledge that she didn't feel like rehashing it for the characters (even though it may have made sense to do so for the audience, of course). Or perhaps the data on the infestation of earth literally didn't exist for whatever reason (the 'AvP: Thrill of the Hunt' comic series comes up with one. It isn't the best explanation, but it's at least an attempt). There's all kinds of ways you can work around it.

1) Then why the general (or wahtever) says Ripley have wiped out the Aliens "for all intents and purposes"?

2) Teh thing about common knowledge may be an answer, but that takes us back to point 1.

3) On the Earth invasion timeline, said invasion was planetwide and all the other stories across the galaxy are related to that, it even took a step forward in war evolution with the creation of weapons and armors created to wipe out Aliens (acid resistant armors, Berserker units and so on). Not counting the discovering of the Alien home planet (or at least what is thought to be it) and the addiction to Alien royal jelly spread across the society. Erasing any data about this is just impossible, it's just like erasing World War II.

That's a fact, there can't be anyway to link all the Alien continuity to Alien Resurrection, it's on its own plane of existenece.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

1. Perhaps Perez, for whatever reason, was only aware of the Fury 161 data, just as Call was. He knew what he needed to know and didn't care to do any more homework because that's how he operated. I've known plenty of people who literally only sought out the absolute bare minimum amount of information possible to accomplish their goal. Sometimes it was out of laziness, sometimes it was "plausible deniability".

3. That isn't entirely accurate. Not all of the comics and whatnot reference the invasion of earth. In fact, the majority of them are stand-alone enough that while they don't "contradict" the earth-invasion stuff, they're merely independent of it. Off the top of my head, the stuff that outright references the invasion:
- Aliens/Predator: Deadliest of the Species
- Aliens: Genocide
- Aliens: Hive (I think?)
- Aliens: More Than Human (the newest comic series)
- Aliens: Music of the Spears (maybe?)
- Aliens: Sacrifice
- Aliens: No Exit (I think)

QuoteThat's a fact, there can't be anyway to link all the Alien continuity to Alien Resurrection, it's on its own plane of existenece.
No, like I said, it's an opinion. :) If you want to consider them separate, then more power to you. I'm certainly not going to stop you or tell you that you're "wrong". I suppose I'd appreciate the same courtesy, is all.

Katarn84

Katarn84

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 18, 2010, 10:07:10 AM
1. Perhaps Perez, for whatever reason, was only aware of the Fury 161 data, just as Call was. He knew what he needed to know and didn't care to do any more homework because that's how he operated.

You know someone that, to saty coehernt with my simile, doesn't know anything about WW2? A planet scale invasion isn't something you just accidently ignore...

Then we come back again to the technology developed to fight the Aliens. It just disappear in the thin air?

I can even get the need to know basis for a low ranking officer like Distephano (as afr as the Alien presence on the Auriga), Perez was in command of the operation so that's just two chances:

1) Aliens never invaded Earth
2) Perez was the lamest military leader in the whole history (quite possible, by the way)

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 18, 2010, 10:07:10 AM
That isn't entirely accurate. Not all of the comics and whatnot reference the invasion of earth. In fact, the majority of them are stand-alone enough that while they don't "contradict" the earth-invasion stuff, they're merely independent of it.

I must admit I lack quite a lot on comics, I only have the novels, the Genocide comic, one issue of deadly of the species, one of Bad Blood and Thrill of the hunt. Not counting the AvP Hunter Edition comic... ;D

But even the standalone novels show humanity have knowledge of the aliens from quite a lot of different encounters, and here we go again to the total extermination made by Ripley.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 18, 2010, 10:07:10 AMOff the top of my head, the stuff that outright references the invasion:
- Aliens/Predator: Deadliest of the Species
- Aliens: Genocide
- Aliens: Hive (I think?)
- Aliens: More Than Human (the newest comic series)
- Aliens: Music of the Spears (maybe?)
- Aliens: Sacrifice
- Aliens: No Exit (I think)

Music of the spears definetly references to the invasion, there are addicts of royal jelly all over, there's a CHURCH of alien fanatics...

Which one is hive?

- Aliens: More Than Human (don't have)
- Aliens: Sacrifice (can't say i know this one)
- Aliens: No Exit (still to even buy it)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I know people who know nothing about the Korean War and don't even realize it happened. There are countries who try to actively "forget" aspects of their past, for whatever reason. Japan, with the Rape of Nanking, for example. They outright refuse to acknowledge that it happened. There's Holocaust revisionist nutjobs who truly and sincerely believe that the Holocaust never happened.

Given enough time and extraordinary circumstances, it's possible that, for one reason or another, certain characters might not have known about it or something. I'm not even talking "need to know", more of "want to know". Perez didn't care about other information, didn't go seeking it out, and that was that I guess.

I'm literally coming up with these "fixes" off the top of my head, so of course they're not going to be airtight or anything, nor do I expect everyone to immediately jump onboard or whatever. I'm just saying, there are ways to fix it if you start creatively interpreting stuff.

Edit-- Hive was reprinted as 'Aliens: Harvest', and was done in novel form as 'Aliens: Alien Harvest' by Robert Sheckley (I think that's the author's name). It had a scientist who built a robotic Alien designed to study Alien hives. I'm pretty sure the novel references the invasion of Earth, although the comic might not.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed